Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #131,387 of 151,188
Got a great tip from watching YouTube barber beard videos. Looking in a mirror, tilt one's head to the opposite side of the ear in question. Run a (bic) lighter around the rim of one's ear. Burns the hair off to the skin. I normally take a shower afterword. For the canal, I use an electric trimmer.
Run a lighter around the rim of one's ear..... what could possibly go wrong?

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #131,388 of 151,188
I'm definitely concerned but the press release makes me think that Harman will support Roon but let it run as an independent company. Fingers crossed.
I could definitely be convinced that I'm wrong.

You don't generally buy a business to then make less money operating it. Maybe you can spin the technology into your own product portfolio and gain enough business/ market share that the acquisition is worthwhile in itself.

I would think that in such a small company there isn't much savings in consolidating accounting , finance, IT , sales, marketing and HR. IT meaning the IT to run the business not the programmers in the business.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #131,389 of 151,188
Ask what she wants.
Then, I would give her a pair of cans that has minimal chance of forking up her perfect pitch (how did you measure that?) and sensitive hearing for that is a big risk with brutal loud and closed headphones. Especially when under 25 years old, chances of hearing damage are bigger with loud music than daily "polishing of the knob" from which, as we all know, one ends up stone deaf and blind.

I have asked. That gave me the basis for the question I initially asked. I do sincerely appreciate your warning about loud music and damage to hearing. My kid listens at pretty low volume, since even moderately loud noises are something they do not like at all so I am less worried than I would otherwise be. But, again, this is another reason why open back is preferable for them as they are very aware of the dangers of loud noises to hearing!

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #131,390 of 151,188
I have roon. I'm fearful they'll "monetize" the discovery aspect of roon and it'll go from fun to abysmal, like google over the last 2 years...
Having worked for some Harman subsidiaries pre and post getting subsided... abysmal may likely be the result.

On the brighter side, we can hope for just piddling enschiitification. :joy:

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #131,391 of 151,188
Run a lighter around the rim of one's ear..... what could possibly go wrong?
… better than around the rim of one’s … 🤣

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #131,393 of 151,188
The Boomerang was/is a tour de force of thinking outside the box on how to solve several different problems at once.

Boom.png
I am genuinely interested in knowing, from your perspective, what problems were solved with this unorthodox and interesting design. It looks fascinating!

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #131,395 of 151,188
Nov 28, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #131,397 of 151,188
We're also debating this. The second run is pretty much sold out in advance of our shipping any. How does everyone feel about continuing this one, even though I said it was limited? Is that a cheat? Or just a logical response to a popular product?

My selfish vote is to continue, as I want one but can't commit the funds right now. :)

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #131,398 of 151,188
My selfish vote is to continue, as I want one but can't commit the funds right now. :)
Another same vote for the same reason. On the other hand, I really really don't need one, and I'm probably several years away from being able to spend money on such a thing again, so my vote should not count for much.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #131,399 of 151,188
I am genuinely interested in knowing, from your perspective, what problems were solved with this unorthodox and interesting design. It looks fascinating!
One of the aims was to solve the challenge of a single engine failure, which makes a light twin difficult to handle, especially at low speeds, on a single engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_Boomerang

Cheers

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #131,400 of 151,188
Harmon International is a very small piece of Samsung, and Roon will be a very small piece of Harmon. I think they will be fine, just like every other small company gobbled up recently by Samsung. They want cash flow and easier access to core technology. Roon-Ready devices from Bang and Olafson, Crown, Arcam, etc. along with Roon Server subscription capability built into Samsung smart displays is more likely than them shutting the company down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back