Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #131,251 of 150,256
I would say lacking dynamics.
I definitely need to sell some items! I'll try the Magni Heresy for now. I really can't add any more gear. It may be a tubes thing. I do really like my HD6xx and my Darkvoice amp.

I'll setup the Aeon RT and let them run in on the Magni Heresy with my Gungnir as a start
I ran my Drop Aeon Opens for two weeks before they came in. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #131,252 of 150,256
If ye haven't read, McIntosh® now manufactures an MX100 DOLBY® ATMOS® audio processing system. I wonder how it'd feed eleven o' the same company's XCS1.5K line arrays and two Allenorgans® SR-1 pedal cabinets via eleven GYALLARHØRN and two TYR?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #131,255 of 150,256
Thanks again everyone, I think I have enough suggestions to at least point me in some sort of direction (or six) to investigate and come up with a plan before graduation. :thumbsup:
How does your kid currently listen to music — speakers or headphones, and from what sources (phone, computer, home stereo, etc)?

The worst outcome is that they end up hardly using whatever you picked out. Nobody knows what their listening habits will become at school (and may change over time), and that's why I suggested aiming for versatility. The Focal Bathys looks interesting to me — works wired or wireless, different ANC levels (or off), and able to play lossless directly connected to USB (no need for a dongle).

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #131,257 of 150,256
Screenshot_20231125_182125_MAFA.jpg

Wowee, beautiful! This is an HD Tracks release that does not suck.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #131,258 of 150,256
Yeah, this is the real question.

It's a balance to know how much to make, and when to stop. I expect Mjolnir 3 will continue as a "Tier 3" product, which means "we get another run going when the current one is sold." Which translates to "there will be periods of 2 or so months where it's out of stock." There's nothing really keeping us from making more, other than waiting for the custom transformers/chokes/chassis/etc.

Folkvangr is a different case. That one was done as an intentionally limited run to use up a bunch of tubes. Which it did. If we did another run, it might cut into tube supply too much given that we're planning a Valhalla 3. Which may not be that big of a deal, because tubes are still kinda on the outs with many people, so all tube stuff is, ah, less pressing than it once was.

If I seem thoughtful/introspective, it's because I'm working on the end of the year chapter. Preview: it was a good year. Mostly. But it took a lot of work.
Hmm, me personally, I came to Schiit because of your tube gear. I have three Schiit systems all with tube components heading them (with Vali, Lyr+, and Freya+). I love your company because you can get good tube gear that isn't five-figures or a two-year wait ( Decware). Your amps, I have Vidar and Aegir, are great, but I'd love a tube amp from you guys... Just one fan talking here, but, you did ask :)

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #131,259 of 150,256
Saga OG from 2016/2017 I believe (yep, a Schiit tube gear) is to me the best Schiit I ever bought. Preamps aren’t really seen as important in the head-fi space but to me it brought the best out of my both DACs and headphone amps to their very best. Saga OG is sort of the heart of the system to me :)

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #131,260 of 150,256
How does everyone feel about continuing this one, even though I said it was limited? Is that a cheat? Or just a logical response to a popular product?
As an owner who is normally terribly picky about this kind of thing, here there was never a question that this was limited to x number of units or y number or runs. The limited designation I took as a heads up, not hype.

I would have been disappointed if you only sold 250 and DIDN'T tell us there was no 2nd run and missed out as a result.

Not to mention the price is excellent given the quality.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #131,261 of 150,256
I’ve “neglected to return” a friend’s MJ3 for over a month now. It does wonders with a Gungnir MB and DCA Stealth, and perhaps unsuprisingly it preamps my desktop Genelecs nicely as well. I think I ordered my second-run silver the day it was announced, so anytime soon. Should it stay in production? I vote yes. Obviously did just fine with Yggy (and we’ll see if/when Gungnir Delta Sigma happens the magic with Gungnir repeats), but this is probably Hi-Fi endgame for most folks looking at ~5k gear.

FV is now paired to Grados and Sennheisers, being pre-amped with a Rag2, hooked to the vinyl rig. (Skoll!!!!). Oh my oh my, glorious Fall evenings there. Boutique item, glad I snatched one. Hard to imagine it “competing” with MJ3 in the lineup, tbh.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #131,264 of 150,256
Ummm not in name... but you do know that the great Boeing engineering company was ruined by the MDC takeover/merger - hence the Max crisis
Good read. I think probably anybody who works in an engineering or engineering-adjacent capacity knows the frustration of bottom line-obsessed and shortsighted management, but when there are actual human lives on the line it has to be especially maddening.

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #131,265 of 150,256
Hel actually uses what is called a "shell knob," as in, it's a shell of stamped aluminum over an injection-molded plastic piece. We've been considering doing an "insert knob" for it--that is, a milled hunk of aluminum with a small plastic insert for fitting on the potentiometer shaft. Not sure if we'll do it, because the cost is quite a bit higher.

Fun fact: a Ragnarok 2 knob fits perfectly. The catch is that the volume indication will be offset from the correct indication.

We're also debating this. The second run is pretty much sold out in advance of our shipping any. How does everyone feel about continuing this one, even though I said it was limited? Is that a cheat? Or just a logical response to a popular product?
I think it's clear that the MJ3 is and should be a Halo product in continuing production- one that sets the standard of excellence against anything out there at any price. I have yet to read an even lukewarm review. EVERYONE seems to love it. It never made any sense to me that it should be a limited production item. You may have underestimated how many crazy audio nuts know and love Schiit products but even so, this product, like Yiggy and Tyr, is something special. Keep making it!

Oh, and yes, I'd like a retrofit silver case for mine too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back