Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #130,771 of 153,253
I can confirm that it was stated by Jason, but I cannot recall if it was here or via a YouTube Schiitr Meet Q&A session. That was pretty much the entire statement with no specific products mentioned, IIRC. **

** I am 100% sure it is not likely a case of mass hysteria. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #130,773 of 153,253
I've been going balanced from the Skoll to the Freya N for about 2 weeks now. Not much difference single ended vs. balanced except for the volume difference, as you mentioned. I think the biggest noticeable improvement with the Skoll is the background. It's pretty dark/silent. I agree the Skoll is just more refined than the Mani 2. I have a Fluance RT85N, but swapped out the Nagaoka for a Grado Red. I am not disappointed at all in my purchase, and think the Skoll is a worthy upgrade, even if you don't have MC cartridges, but that is next on my list!
I love the cylon thing when you first turn it on! Sorry, had an ORT moment...
That's interesting about the dark/silent. I actually found my Mani 2 to be dead silent but the Skoll had a slight hum on the left channel only that I could hear pretty clearly at slightly above normal listening levels. Thankfully it isn't loud enough to be over the noise floor of any vinyl I have so as soon as the needle hits the vinyl it's essentially gone.

I was nervous that something was wrong with mine though and that it could potentially be noticeable during playback if I upgraded to an MC cart in the future. I pinged Schiit support and worked through it with them and based on my troubleshooting they agreed it likely was a problem with the Skoll. For those interested, I tested it by swapping the left and right RCAs on the inputs of the Skoll to see if the noise changed to the right channel and it stayed on the left. I then tried swapping the left and right balanced cables between the Skoll and the Mjolnir and the hum swapped to the right channel. I tried different cables on all connections and also tried using the RCA output on the Skoll and nothing made that sound go away. Very strange.

The replacement unit unfortunately had the same problem and they gave me the option of keeping it or doing a full refund. Since the volume of the noise is still under the noise floor of any record I play I decided to keep it. Curious if anyone else has heard a similar incredibly subtle sound like that!

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #130,775 of 153,253
Do we know how much headroom has been engineered into Yggy? I feel like the paper from B-mark (and I own and adore B-mark equipment, so no harm meant) might be highlighting a issue that we shouldn't fixate on. I sure as hell have never heard anything that sounds like clipping with either Yggdrasil in my home.
The issue starts with a recording's poor management of dynamic range. I can't recall having heard it either when I owned an Yggdrasil A2. But the MIB does different upsampling (4x instead of 8x AFAIK). Could that make a difference? I don't know.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #130,776 of 153,253
That's interesting about the dark/silent. I actually found my Mani 2 to be dead silent but the Skoll had a slight hum on the left channel only that I could hear pretty clearly at slightly above normal listening levels. Thankfully it isn't loud enough to be over the noise floor of any vinyl I have so as soon as the needle hits the vinyl it's essentially gone.

I was nervous that something was wrong with mine though and that it could potentially be noticeable during playback if I upgraded to an MC cart in the future. I pinged Schiit support and worked through it with them and based on my troubleshooting they agreed it likely was a problem with the Skoll. For those interested, I tested it by swapping the left and right RCAs on the inputs of the Skoll to see if the noise changed to the right channel and it stayed on the left. I then tried swapping the left and right balanced cables between the Skoll and the Mjolnir and the hum swapped to the right channel. I tried different cables on all connections and also tried using the RCA output on the Skoll and nothing made that sound go away. Very strange.

The replacement unit unfortunately had the same problem and they gave me the option of keeping it or doing a full refund. Since the volume of the noise is still under the noise floor of any record I play I decided to keep it. Curious if anyone else has heard a similar incredibly subtle sound like that!
Have you also tried different (shorter) interconnects between the RT85 and the Skoll? How about swapping the interconnects (move rca’s at both RT85 & Skoll ends)? Remember to power down before changing connections. Where is the skoll placed relative to turntable, MJ, and other electronics?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #130,777 of 153,253
Any idea when Kara in silver is coming?

Wait… They sell 'em with cases now? 😳

IMG_5048.jpeg

Nah, I'm good. I like my Karas naked.
Mine has the optional weight reduction package. Costs extra, but sounds faster!

(Yes, I have cleaned my living room since I took that picture… 😬 It's freaking dusty as all heck where I live! Stupid almond harvest season… 😒)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #130,778 of 153,253
Wait… They sell 'em with cases now? 😳

IMG_5048.jpeg

Nah, I'm good. I like my Karas naked.
Mine has the optional weight reduction package. Costs extra, but sounds faster!

(Yes, I have cleaned my living room since I took that picture… 😬)
Have you been hanging out with Dave recently (and a bit too much at that)? :ksc75smile:

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #130,779 of 153,253
Have you been hanging out with Dave recently (and a bit too much at that)? :ksc75smile:
Just to be clear: There's no too much hanging out with Dave. Any amount of hanging out with Dave is the correct amount of hanging out with Dave.

But sadly, no. As is evident by the lack of tape over the more electrocutiony bits, like the power switch. I'm raw-dogging it. Dave's too advanced for dumb Schiit like that.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #130,780 of 153,253
Are your turntables balanced though? The big difference for me with Skoll was the VPI turntable balanced out into Skoll's balanced in. Now the whole chain from needle to power amp is balanced as opposed to single-ended. That made a big difference in noise reduction.
Nope, just single ended form my turntable. So yea, not much difference going from the Skoll to the Freya single-ended vs. balanced. MAYBE, a little more of a black background, but Skoll is already pretty dark in that respect. It's hard to A/B with the volume difference.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #130,781 of 153,253
Have you also tried different (shorter) interconnects between the RT85 and the Skoll? How about swapping the interconnects (move rca’s at both RT85 & Skoll ends)? Remember to power down before changing connections. Where is the skoll placed relative to turntable, MJ, and other electronics?
Yep, when trying different cables I used shorter ones moving the Skoll as close to the turntable outputs as possible to negate interference. Swapping at both ends still had the noise on the left as well. During testing, the Skoll and turntable were on the top shelf of my console alone and a good foot above the shelf below with the MJ. No other electronics are within 6 feet of the console.

As an extra data point, swapping out the MJ for my old Magni still had the noise but replacing the Skoll with my old Mani 2 had the noise go away.

I’ve made peace with the sound and barely notice it any more when queuing up the next record so it’s all good! Mainly just wondering if I’m nit picking on it or if there’s just two units I’ve run into that had a strange fault!

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #130,782 of 153,253
Yep, when trying different cables I used shorter ones moving the Skoll as close to the turntable outputs as possible to negate interference. Swapping at both ends still had the noise on the left as well. During testing, the Skoll and turntable were on the top shelf of my console alone and a good foot above the shelf below with the MJ. No other electronics are within 6 feet of the console.

As an extra data point, swapping out the MJ for my old Magni still had the noise but replacing the Skoll with my old Mani 2 had the noise go away.

I’ve made peace with the sound and barely notice it any more when queuing up the next record so it’s all good! Mainly just wondering if I’m nit picking on it or if there’s just two units I’ve run into that had a strange fault!
I know it probably won't help you much, but like I mentioned, my Skoll is silent. When I had the Mani 2 in the chain, and I turned my volume all the way up, I could hear a little hum from the speakers, but the gain is/was set higher on the Mani 2 (42 vs. 40). It's not just the Skoll being quiter equipment wise, but when actually playing vinyl, the music is coming from a darker "space". I don't think the soundstage is any wider, but I think the Skoll may be a tad deeper front to back. My ears are old and damaged, so I don't like to do anything remotely close to a "review". Giving you peeps some impressions is ok though.
Sorry that your are having "issues" with your Skoll though, but it seems you are working it out.

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #130,783 of 153,253
I'ld like to hear @Roy G. Biv opinion on this matter....
I think someone has had a bad experience or two on WestJet. Funny thing about the 737 is that the panel in the pic is virtually the same as when the airplane entered production in 1967. The instrument panel, however, looks pretty fancy in the newer models. This one is from the Max.

max2.png

Out of context, this switch has always made me laugh -

737 wing.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #130,784 of 153,253
I think someone has had a bad experience or two on WestJet. Funny thing about the 737 is that the panel in the pic is virtually the same as when the airplane entered production in 1967. The instrument panel, however, looks pretty fancy in the newer models. This one is from the Max.

max2.png
Is the slot in the seat for "manliness clearance"? :)

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #130,785 of 153,253

Users who are viewing this thread

Back