Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #130,801 of 155,196
I realized that I haven’t taken many photos with my fancy new phone, so while I was listening to Ride the Lightning at my listening station, I figured I would take a picture. What you see is the Line Phono extra height stand, with a Bluesound Node X feeding digitally via toslink to the Schiit Modius E, which then in turn goes into the Schiit Asgard 3. At the time I was listening using my Focal Celestee via a custom braided headphone cable. It’s not as impressive as many of the other systems I’ve seen in this thread, but I’m proud of my Schiit Stack just the same!
What is the stand you are using? Is it painted fiberboard or something else?

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #130,802 of 155,196
Wait… They sell 'em with cases now? 😳

IMG_5048.jpeg

Nah, I'm good. I like my Karas naked.
Mine has the optional weight reduction package. Costs extra, but sounds faster!

(Yes, I have cleaned my living room since I took that picture… 😬 It's freaking dusty as all heck where I live! Stupid almond harvest season… 😒)
This option is available for a surcharge of $25.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #130,803 of 155,196
Just to be clear: There's no too much hanging out with Dave. Any amount of hanging out with Dave is the correct amount of hanging out with Dave.

But sadly, no. As is evident by the lack of tape over the more electrocutiony bits, like the power switch. I'm raw-dogging it. Dave's too advanced for dumb Schiit like that.
Did you have to take an IQ test before you were allowed to buy this version?

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #130,804 of 155,196
What is the stand you are using? Is it painted fiberboard or something else?
I named it in the post, but it’s actually a turntable stand from a company called
Line Phono—specifically the extra height version. There are a few different finishes, the one I bought iirc is called carbon.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #130,805 of 155,196
I think someone has had a bad experience or two on WestJet. Funny thing about the 737 is that the panel in the pic is virtually the same as when the airplane entered production in 1967. The instrument panel, however, looks pretty fancy in the newer models. This one is from the Max.

max2.png

Out of context, this switch has always made me laugh -

737 wing.jpeg
I miss the old "steam gauges", don't know how to handle a glass cockpit.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #130,806 of 155,196
This option is available for a surcharge of $25.
Thank the gods that Schiit doesn't do Porsche-style option pricing, or it would be in the tens of grands…

Did you have to take an IQ test before you were allowed to buy this version?
An I-whatnow test? Is that (an) edible…? I only do Acid Tests.

[…] don't know how to handle a glass cockpit.
With … uhm … care? *ba dum tss!* 😬

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #130,807 of 155,196
I miss the old "steam gauges", don't know how to handle a glass cockpit.
I hear ya. A significant amount of my flight time is in Saab 340's. I like the analog/steam gauges for engines/airspeed/altitude but having a nice CRT for the nav displays was always welcome.

Saab_2.png

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #130,808 of 155,196
I hear ya. A significant amount of my flight time is in Saab 340's. I like the analog/steam gauges for engines/airspeed/altitude but having a nice CRT for the nav displays was always welcome.

Saab_2.png
A combined CRT nav display must make flying IFR much easier, but I am leery of them for powerplant monitoring.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #130,809 of 155,196
Yggy MIB burn in nearly 145 hours complete, and I think I need to clarify my experience a bit. About headroom, and intersample overs, I don’t think that was a part of my experience. Because -3db was good, and -5db was better , Hans Beekhuyzen suggests that in this situation you are dealing with voltage mismatch and synergy issue. Like a good doobie I adjusted sensitivity of amplifier and bang, no more running from the hifi. While this was a major win, Yggy MIB somehow neglected to play bass from like hour 3 to hour 140. I came back from the restroom and was like, WHAT? Wooomp, there it was. Not great, but present. FINALLY. Duncan Taylor used to be a testing tech at the music room, he described wild break in scenarios where bass would disappear, then magically reappear. If I remember correctly he attributed this scenario to power supply capacitors swelling and forming. His podcast with PS Audio’s then Darren Myers was so fun. Yggy MIB is a fricken time machine, but, please, the bass, more please! Here’s to 200 hours and completely formed bass. Or wait, maybe what I’m waiting for wasn’t on the recordings to begin with. This hobby is sick.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #130,810 of 155,196
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #130,811 of 155,196

I'm assuming that while in flight, that switch MUST ALWAYS remain in the 'ON' position! :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #130,812 of 155,196
That's interesting about the dark/silent. I actually found my Mani 2 to be dead silent but the Skoll had a slight hum on the left channel only that I could hear pretty clearly at slightly above normal listening levels. Thankfully it isn't loud enough to be over the noise floor of any vinyl I have so as soon as the needle hits the vinyl it's essentially gone.
Hey Mike, what does your ground wire look like between the TT and the preamps? Does it 'firmly' connect the two devices electrically?

I have had at least one situation where a good shot of Caig Deoxit and a mechanical burnishing of the ground spade(s) removed a persistent hum that I couldn't get rid of by moving gear locations... worth a try.

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #130,813 of 155,196
I think someone has had a bad experience or two on WestJet. Funny thing about the 737 is that the panel in the pic is virtually the same as when the airplane entered production in 1967. The instrument panel, however, looks pretty fancy in the newer models. This one is from the Max.

max2.png

737 wing.jpeg
What I discovered recently 'flying' Westjet, distance travelled is not proportional to time. 200 miles or 800, gonna take 12 hours. Each way. :joy:

Oh the Max - a result of McDonnell Douglas middle management innovations? :wink:

Back when I learned to fly, flight 'control' was simpler...
387panelWeb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back