Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #130,786 of 155,230
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #130,787 of 155,230
After going through every menu setting on the DAC and CD player, checking and replacing cables, and looking at toggles on the Lokius and Asgard, I found the root of the S/PDIF output problem by staring at my component diagram on my iPad after I had gone to bed. Turns out the root-cause was similar to a PEBCAK issue, but more like an ID10T error.

See (take notes, everyone), the Freya has this really obscure button on the front of the unit called an "Input Select"... :bulb:

There are 2 outputs from the Tascam, therefore, an input has to be changed on the Freya depending if I send the audio directly to the preamp or via the external DAC. 🤦‍♂️

This info-graphic was made using iOS' Freeform, yes? I appreciate you labeling (almost) every arrow. Nice! Re: Source: CD Player + XLR input 2 + SPID/F. Once I set up my nook again, I'm going to try my own work-around kludge... instead of an URD. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the significantly quieter background noise! Electromagnetic and aural waves. Less negative waves!

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #130,788 of 155,230
This info-graphic was made using iOS' Freeform, yes? I appreciate you labeling (almost) every arrow. Nice! Re: Source: CD Player + XLR input 2 + SPID/F. Once I set up my nook again, I'm going to try my own work-around kludge... instead of an URD. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the significantly quieter background noise! Electromagnetic and aural waves. Less negative waves!

Yup, it was done with Freeform, one of the best new things that Apple has added in quite a while, and they've been adding features. It's helped me visualize a number of projects, and any changes show up on all my Macs and i-devices instantaneously.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #130,789 of 155,230
Of course I would be tempted to get all matching Schiit if they did something similar (jason would probably sell more equipment) and that's why I was kind of curious if Schiit was thinking about a universal remote- standby mode thing . My old components are are now more than 30 years old...
A universal remote... ... huh. I like that idea.

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #130,790 of 155,230
The issue starts with a recording's poor management of dynamic range. I can't recall having heard it either when I owned an Yggdrasil A2. But the MIB does different upsampling (4x instead of 8x AFAIK). Could that make a difference? I don't know.
I have been somewhat obsessed with the potential issue of intersample clipping for a while now. I am surprised that when you consider the OC nature of the audiophile community that this is not discussed more. Unlike the majority of subjective opinions that are part of this hobby, True Peak (oversampled peak values) can actually be measured (or at least interpolated).
Unfortunately for a DAC manufacturer, the only practical solution is to give up some dynamic range and reduce the level for all digital sources by a fixed value, whether the adjustment is needed or not. Some respected manufacturers have done this, and it can be argued that this a worthwhile trade off, but I would prefer that the DAC process the audio data just as it is presented.
For my system, I ended up scanning and normalizing loudness level for all affected ripped content according to the measured album True Peak value (that was a fun couple of weeks!). It is surprising how many albums have at least one excessive peak value!

As a side note from this long time forum lurker, I'd like to thank everyone on the site for your contributions! I came to learn about Freya, I stayed to read Jason's chapters, but I keep coming back for reasons I don't understand...

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #130,792 of 155,230
@TedTopfer welcome to the forum! What software did you use to scan and normalize the loudness level of your media?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #130,796 of 155,230
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #130,797 of 155,230
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #130,798 of 155,230
@TedTopfer welcome to the forum! What software did you use to scan and normalize the loudness level of your media?
The best thing about this type of tweak is that it is free, and non-destructive if you save the originals!

I have used Foobar2K for most maintenance tasks with my music files for years, and also use it with specific settings for the scanning and level adjustment here. Since the True Peak scan relies on oversampling, there are many options for configuring the interpolation, and each of them gives different results. I validated the settings against the results from another tool bs1770gain (formally rp128gain), which provides the best match after scanning the True Peak of a reference file.
I ended up configuring F2K to use a multi-resolution upsampler at 4x with Sinc function.

The process is a bit lengthy, because you have to scan the files (Replay Gain with the TP settings), run them through a DSP convert process, and then scan them again with the new values. There is a lot of incentive to get it right the first time!

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #130,799 of 155,230
I realized that I haven’t taken many photos with my fancy new phone, so while I was listening to Ride the Lightning at my listening station, I figured I would take a picture. What you see is the Line Phono extra height stand, with a Bluesound Node X feeding digitally via toslink to the Schiit Modius E, which then in turn goes into the Schiit Asgard 3. At the time I was listening using my Focal Celestee via a custom braided headphone cable. It’s not as impressive as many of the other systems I’ve seen in this thread, but I’m proud of my Schiit Stack just the same!
IMG_2951.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back