Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #130,112 of 153,218
Silver
Am I right to be anticipating a chapter sometime - possibly imminently - about a renaissance in the availability of silver tops?

Andrew
An entire chapter on silver tops would be a new height (or depth?) in Schiit-specificness. More accurately this-thread-specificness.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #130,114 of 153,218
3 days of continuous playback and something magical happened with the MIB: Macrodynamics just come alive! The Moffat Bass (TM) punch is back in this DAC baby. Everything is now snappier with proper initial attack in the notes! That's only 3 days from the first powered on :)
I'm two days behind you, and the thing that's messing with my head a bit is the incredible top end presentation of MIB. Radio Paradise FLAC stream from my i9 Lenovo via USB to MIB, balanced out to OG Jot, balanced (DIN) to the HD600s.

The HD600s have never sounded this clear / crisp. The sound is not bright or etched, it is clear as winter air in the high country. That's all that I dare say now, because I'm supposed to be working and I'm waaaay behind, but even at super low levels I am hearing a clarity that's a bit scary...

...no, the clarity is really scary. Dylan's original "Tangled Up in Blue" from the 1975 recording of "Blood on the Tracks"... wow, it actually sounds good for a change. :laughing:

It will be interesting when the Moffat Bass™ kicks in. I get the feeling that it's not too far away.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #130,116 of 153,218
Hey, @Jason Stoddard, speaking of the Guides on the website (**nobody was speaking about the guides on the website**), the guide for choosing a headamp (https://www.schiit.com/guides/choosing-a-headamp) lists Midgard, but then it references Magnius and links to Magnius.
And while we are on the subject of "Guides on the website", the Loki Max manual, page 5, Bullet 2 Single-Ended Input: Connect your single-ended source here, using high-quality XLR cables. Should read RCA cables.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #130,117 of 153,218
And while we are on the subject of "Guides on the website", the Loki Max manual, page 5, Bullet 2 Single-Ended Input: Connect your single-ended source here, using high-quality XLR cables. Should read RCA cables.
Just push harder!

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #130,118 of 153,218
...which aural keys turn the tumblers on our perceptions of what makes a sound or collections of sounds pleasurable.
This is such a wonderful phrase. I do like my tumblers turned in life. :)

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #130,120 of 153,218
Nov 7, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #130,122 of 153,218
Stockfisch Records

As a counter to @wout31 's comments about schitty sounding records, I offer the Stockfisch "Direct Metal Master Cut Vinyl Series" (p.s. I'm pretty sure that's one word auf Deutsch - @ArmchairPhilosopher will you confirm?). :)

I have never heard any other LP that sounds this dynamic, with a dead silent background... not even the famed MFSL Original Master Recordings. I simply took them out of their sleeves, gave them a quick rotation with the AQ record brush, and gave them a spin. I usually run new LPs through a pass on the Spin-Clean (another amazing bargain!), but I did not this time, and I was not disappointed. Stockfisch deliver pristine surfaces on all their discs, right out of the sleeve.

IMG_0261.JPEGIMG_0257.JPEG

For the quality, these discs are a total bargain from €25.50 to €33.50. Sara K. Wooldridge is one of my absolute favorite artists. The Stockfisch version of "Water Falls" raised goosebumps... just unreal. I also have two additional LPs from Stockfisch, not metal cut masters, and they sound almost as spectacular (with maybe just a bit less dynamic range?) - but you'd never hear a difference if you didn't listen to them, side-by-side.

Highly recommended. I have zero financial interest in Stockfisch; I just really like their work... and p.s. - MJ3 was turned off or else I would have never set that record sleeve on top of it, just sayin'.

/ds

Thanks for the Sara K. "Water Falls" recommendation! Now on on the search for the vinyl version of that album from Stockfish.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #130,124 of 153,218
Re Yggy OG I hear statements of bass rich or sharp treble. I am beginning to suspect that it is very much speaker dependent. On large magnepans driven by Tyr the OG is neutral to my ear.

Maggies are very neutral and have a flat frequency response.

Listening to headphones… I only tried my original Grado Signature HP 1000 driven by Kara and their frequency response is nearly the same as the Maggies.

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #130,125 of 153,218
1699296696621.png 1699296726183.png

Sometimes, all you need is the toobey goodness of a Folkvangr, the punchiness of a Gungnir MB, and some Tom Morello and K.Flay to get you through the day…
Flying hippopotami. Manakin heads. … … … hang on, let me crack open a gnu one…
IMG_0307.jpeg

…you can see, btw, my little electronic friends juuuuust right of the hooch. In the background. 👀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back