Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #130,066 of 153,951
How unmatched do they have to be before one would actually be able to hear it?

this is all more or less curiosity and hypotheticals, I'm not trying to argue or anything like that, just kinda wondering how far out of whack can you really get before its stats to sound bad sort of thing.
Depends upon the circuit topology. Some are more sensitive than others.

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #130,069 of 153,951
I'm looking for advice from Freya+ and fellow tube rollers. My Freya+ popped and went dark a few weeks ago, it was less than 2 years old so I sent it to Schiit under warranty. They fixed it in one week and returned it, so I'm impressed! The transformer had blown so that leads to my questions. Could my vintage tubes have had anything to do with that? They are some very nice Raytheon brown base 6SN7's I use on the right side, and some 60's Sylvanias on the left from my most trusted seller, and they don't have many hours since I only can listen a few hours a week, probably around 100 hours total since I purchased them. I don't have a tester and after trying several matched pairs, I really love this set and wanted to put them back in. Should I avoid them in case one of them is going bad, or invest in a tube tester? Do you know anyone in the Atlanta, GA area who can test tubes? I know nothing about tube testing equipment, which can be pricey to get into. Thanks for any advice you can share!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #130,070 of 153,951
Tubes.jpg

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #130,072 of 153,951
You may have an LP that was released with the same mastering digitally.
Recent Craft vinyl releases (Chet Baker 'Chet' comes to mind) would be excellent for this as Craft released those same brand new masterings on Qobuz in 24/192.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #130,073 of 153,951
This is a sample below of how he tests his matched pairs, hoping that will suffice for my Freya+: “All tubes are tested on an AT1000 for Mutual Conductance, Emissions, Gas, Shorts and Noise... Tubes are guaranteed to be as listed... Please refer to pictures and specs for tube details"

Amplitrex AT1000 Test Results 95+% GM & EM = Within NOS Specs

(GM) Mutual Conductance
2600 = SPEC
(EM) Emission
8.0 gV = SPEC
Noise
Test
(mU) Tube Gain
TUBE #1 2500/2570 (96.2/98.8%) 7.6/7.8 (95.0/97.5%)5/520.7 19.6
TUBE #2 2500/2560 (96.2/98.5%) 7.7/7.9 (96.3/98.8%)5/520.5 20.5
TUBE #3N/AN/A N/AN/A
TUBE #4N/AN/AN/A N/A
  • PERFECT = 0.0% (5% or Less = Outstanding)
  • Balance (Balance Goal = Mhos > 5% / Gv > 10%)
    • Tube 1: A to B = Mhos - 2.7% Gv - 2.5%
    • Tube 2: A to B = Mhos - 2.3% Gv - 2.5%
  • Match (Tube 1 to Tube 2) (Match Goal = Mhos > 5% / Gv > 10%)
    • Tube 1A to 2A = Mhos - 0.0% Gv - 1.3%
    • Tube 1B to 2B = Mhos - 0.4% Gv - 1.3%
  • Noise Test Scale: 5 = Ultra Low; 4 = Very Very Low; 3 Very Low
  • Tube Gain Scale : 20 Mu (+ or -) 3 Mu = Nominal

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #130,074 of 153,951
I still am lead to believe that the OG exists in this weird space of not measuring good at all, but being like unobtanium for how its all put together? like it exists as more than the sum of its parts. Thus the rapidly inflating costs on its processors. I would be glad to be set straight.
Yggy OG doesn't measure poorly. The distortion measured at the typical SINAD parameters (made popular at another site) is inaudible.

The OG is the best Mike Moffat could create when it was released. At the original price point, it was (and still is) a relative bargain. However, when you go past $3k, you start competing with other highly regarded ladder DACs. Schiit is a business after all. Times have changed considerably since the OG was released.

I am curious about the Yggdrasil line after the AD variants aren't available. Stay tuned.

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #130,075 of 153,951
have I heard an Yggy OG? Yes. I own a Yggy OG+, its currently powering the audio for my computer command station.
Cool, sorry if I sounded like an a$$. I wasn't sure where you were coming from with the comments about "unobtanium", and I'm a Schiit Bigot. :innocent:

I have enjoyed my OG Yggy A2 since Feb 2020, and I think that I've come to some conclusions about why OG Yggy is so good. Mike and the team took a big math problem and, through some pretty excellent engineering, solved it. In the initial incarnation of the closed-form filter with the AD5791BRUZ, they eschewed standard audio "wisdom" and chose DAC chipsets that were really good at what they did. Didn't matter if they were in other audio components, they were chosen for their specific ability to convert D to A. The AD5791 in the "Schiit Multibit 1 Platform (OG)", like the AD5781BRUZ (in the Gungnir MB 1), and the AD5547CRUZ (in the Bifrost and Modi MB2s) - at least IMHO - pointed to the fact that the designers at Schiit weren't bound by conventional wisdom. They had the desire and the chops to make something unique that sounded amazing, and that's why I'm spending the majority of my audio $$$ with these guys.

Since early February of 2020, I've changed a lot of stuff in my system - Schiit and otherwise... but the one constant has been my OG Yggy A2. I will keep it forever, even if the new MIB (which arrived today!) sounds better, or the (someday) Yggdrasil Ultimate blows all previous Schiit DACs out of the water. It's just that good.

YMMV, of course. I'm still trying to understand why Analog Devices is deprecating these chipsets, but that's an area where I have zero expertise. I'll leave the EE stuff to EEs.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #130,076 of 153,951
...and speaking of MIB:

Looks like I got #5, @45longcolt :

Yggy+ MIB  102B01005.jpeg

Going to feed it some Qobuz via USB -> balanced out to OG Jot -> HD600s, and let it cook for a couple of days.
It'll be right next to my desk, so there will be many opportunities to sample the evolution...

Meanwhile, Yggy is singing downstairs and doesn't care what his younger brother is doing.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #130,077 of 153,951
...and speaking of MIB:

Looks like I got #5, @45longcolt :

Yggy+ MIB  102B01005.jpeg

Going to feed it some Qobuz via USB -> balanced out to OG Jot -> HD600s, and let it cook for a couple of days.
It'll be right next to my desk, so there will be many opportunities to sample the evolution...

Meanwhile, Yggy is singing downstairs and doesn't care what his younger brother is doing.

Congrats on the new MIB! I love mine as well!

Looking forward to your thoughts about it in comparison to the OG :)

I got the second unit and my first Yggdrasil

IMG_8927.jpeg

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #130,079 of 153,951
Why a iFi decrapifier feeding a Unison input? can it be too much of a good thing?

I’ve had it since the time I had my first Schiit which was the Bifrost 1 Multibit way back in 2015 when they had the old Gen 1 C-media module. The iFi still works for so many years but it works incredibly well for any USB module not in terms of decrapifying but preventing the relay clicks when there’s no stream feeding the USB input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back