Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #129,991 of 154,883
Purchase the correct cable rated at the correct impedance.
There you go with the reputable vendor thing. Sheesh! Snake oil vendors have children, too...

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #129,992 of 154,883
There you go with the reputable vendor thing. Sheesh! Snake oil vendors have children, too...
If they use the correct bag of brilliant pebbles tied to strategic body parts and stand on solid maple platforms with crystal tuning pyramids balanced on their heads they can eliminate hunger and other impacts on PRAT.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #129,993 of 154,883
Sweet...looking for a more in depth analysis!!
LOL!

:>)
Alex

I’m not a good reviewer but I’ll make an update after 2-3 weeks of playing back music LOL. Should take a while for it to settle just like every yggy out there.

Out of the box though with first power up, it was defaulted on the NOS and absolute phase inverted setting. It assured me that they tested the unit before they packaged it. I let switch back to OS mode and leave the absolute phase inverted for now

PS, I don’t have a balanced headphone amp so I’ll be only using the SE out. Analog stage is exactly like the LIM so SE shouldn’t be gimped like on the OG

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #129,994 of 154,883
Mrs. macdonjh and I just returned from a sightseeing trip to Spain. While touring La Pedrada (designed by Antoni Gaudi) in Barcelona I saw this example of 1920s state of the art gear.
2023 Barcelona La Pedrada Victrola.jpg

I was looking for the Jadis nameplate while deciding whether or not to make an offer to buy it. But then I realized there was no USB input, let alone Unison...

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #129,995 of 154,883
At least you don’t live in the part of Texas that gets both hot and humid. Oh, wait...
I feel for ya. AC guy is currently at my house doing a minor repair/tuneup.
Looking forward to November.
...and here we are. After an all-too-brief respite it's supposed to be mid-80s again next week. I realize it's stupid to complain, I could move.

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #129,996 of 154,883
So, uh... I feel a bit like a clueless high school teacher... during parent's night. So, uh... are you EXPERIENCED? That's some nice kit, @LnTx . Those 2 floorspeakers... ... ... Skookum! {{{rough translation = nice/good}}}. More important question for me: what kind of audio treatment did you do to the back wall? I want to investigate future options for me.
The back wall treatment was custom built into the wall, not on it, by a contractor and was actually featured on HGTV a year and a half ago.

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #130,000 of 154,883
FTA: "When the impedance of the termination matches that of the cable, there is no reflection."

How would one determine that, without scientific instruments?
Read a text on transmission line theory. If the source and the termination match the transmission line impedance, then max power transfer occurs, and SWR [standing wave ratio] is minimized. Not much of an issue for audio cables, as they are short considering the frequencies being transmitted.

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #130,004 of 154,883
Please explain. OG's analog stage is fully discrete.

Yggy+ OG
Frequency Response, Analog Stage: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.1dB, 0.5Hz-200KHz, -1dB
Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS (balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)
THD: Less than 0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at full output
IMD: <0.005%, CCIF, at full output
SNR: > 124dB, referenced to 4V RMS
D/A Conversion IC: Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ x 4 (2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration)
Analog Stage: Fully discrete, DC coupled Class A FET buffers optimized for high current output and fully discrete, Class A FET summing stages for single-ended output

SE analog stage is not separated from Balanced output like from the other yggy flavors because it's derived from the summing circuit from the balanced output. In audiophilia, some want a full discrete stage completely separate from the balanced out and as such some Yggy OG owners resort to expensive input transformers to convert balanced to SE instead since they belive it sounds better that way compared to a summing circuit

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #130,005 of 154,883
I'm not so sure about how the geometry of the tube may/may not affect things. I can only assume it would to some degree given as there are various tubes made in shapes that would otherwise seem un-necessarily complex and we'd likely see many more with a basic 'bulb' shape. But I'm not sure about the specifics
The vacuum does not transmit vibrations, they have to travel through the base to the filaments. A less resonant (in frequencies of interest) shape is less likely to vibrate significantly, but while that small pinch would help as compared to a perfect cylinder that line of thought would lead me to design tubes with a more substantially non-regular shape (wrinkled is my best idea for now). This would also avoid picking up much energy from sound in the surronding air, I think the pinch would do very little for that. Maybe the pinch is a good compromise when taking space efficiency and/or manufacturing efficiency into account.

But it seems to me that it would be much easier to reduce or eliminate microphonics by the design of the filaments instead of the design of the glass. On the other hand... I may not have looked deeply enough into their exact construction, as I can't guess at what to do there, as I can for the glass part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back