Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #129,691 of 150,656
:innocent: the toughest part was deciding silver or black... my OG is silver, so... silver it will be.

1698853137498.png

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #129,692 of 150,656
Is it possible to see the broken bits of cartilage on X-ray or MRI?

Edit: the reason I ask is - thanks, to all, for the torn meniscus discussion and ideas. It must be internet telepathy or something, but this AM my wife goes to her orthopedic surgeon to have her knee x-ray and MRI results evaluated. I copied out the main points, but as she's 64, I decided to keep the "most orthopedic doctors give up on patients older than 45" comment to myself. :)
Cartilage is water density(as is glass, unfortunately) and therefore impossible to see on X ray. MRI works though

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #129,693 of 150,656
:innocent: the toughest part was deciding silver or black... my OG is silver, so... silver it will be.
ARGHHH, now you can't tell them apart. :nerd:

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #129,695 of 150,656
Freya has been let back in the house now, and returned to her pride of place:
  • The Good News - Sound quality is fine in all stages, though the tube stage still seems a tick off for some reason.
  • The OK News - The hum has returned, but at a much lower level than previously, barely discernable from the listening spot, and then only with the tubes engaged.
  • New News - For the first time I hear the volume relay clicks coming through the speakers. Was it always there?
I think to go any further I have to get a new set of tubes to test with, but in the meantime overall performance is perfectly fine. So Freya and I are back on speaking terms, though I haven't told her about Kara yet. She arrives tomorrow.

IMG_0077.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #129,696 of 150,656
  • New News - For the first time I hear the volume relay clicks coming through the speakers. Was it always there?
I have always heard the volume relays click through my speakers, very softly, though...

I think to go any further I have to get a new set of tubes to test with, but in the meantime overall performance is perfectly fine.
I am hardly a tube expert Cliff, but I agree that you need to try another set of tubes to discover where that hum is really originating.

So Freya and I are back on speaking terms, though I haven't told her about Kara yet. She arrives tomorrow.
As soon as Kara shows up, Freya's hum will disappear completely, without swapping tubes... :laughing:

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #129,697 of 150,656
ARGHHH, now you can't tell them apart. :nerd:
Black felt tip should solve that issue. Just write OG or MIB on the respective face plates. Problem solved.
It could require some masking tape to put the letters on if both were black!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #129,698 of 150,656
Cartilage is water density(as is glass, unfortunately) and therefore impossible to see on X ray. MRI works though
Thanks. The MRI showed no pieces of cartilage floating around, but she has so much arthritis the ortho doc said repairing the tear won't really help her all that much.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #129,699 of 150,656
Yep, arthritis can be just as debilitating.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #129,700 of 150,656
Very interesting Jason. My guess is that the 8x light still will not light up?
Even at the DSP level, MIB does not oversample to 8x, only 4x which gives it a sprinkle of NOS sound (which you don't need to NOS for) compared to the rest of the Yggdrasil flavors

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #129,701 of 150,656
Even at the DSP level, MIB does not oversample to 8x, only 4x which gives it a sprinkle of NOS sound (which you don't need to NOS for) compared to the rest of the Yggdrasil flavors
I may have missed it, but was this stated explicitly anywhere? The specs page didn't mention this. Not sure why this variant would use a lower OS rate.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #129,702 of 150,656
Freya has been let back in the house now, and returned to her pride of place:
  • The Good News - Sound quality is fine in all stages, though the tube stage still seems a tick off for some reason.
  • The OK News - The hum has returned, but at a much lower level than previously, barely discernable from the listening spot, and then only with the tubes engaged.
I think to go any further I have to get a new set of tubes to test with, but in the meantime overall performance is perfectly fine. So Freya and I are back on speaking terms, though I haven't told her about Kara yet. She arrives tomorrow.

Looks like you have a Freya tube preamp going into a Rega Integrated which also has a preamp inside. Maybe this is the cause of the hum? They both probably have 3 prong outlets. Also going through 2 gain stages? I'm really confused lloking at your picture.. Are you running Freya/Schiit amp instead of the Rega?

Maybe I should stay out of it

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #129,703 of 150,656
I may have missed it, but was this stated explicitly anywhere? The specs page didn't mention this. Not sure why this variant would use a lower OS rate.

It was confirmed on another forum unless Mike and Jason was able to make 8x happen on the release version

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #129,704 of 150,656
. . .

So I brought the Yggy DAC11001B prototype back into the office, where our early panel had a listen and pronounced it good, if a little “twee,” in one person’s words.

Today I learned a new word. Twee means "affectedly or excessively dainty, delicate, cute, or quaint." (source)

Sounds like that comment was from Mike. :slight_smile:

“Will there ever be a ‘More is More?’” someone will ask.

Of course, we’re still going to try to do an ultimate Yggdrasil. But there’s nothing ready for prime time yet. And, consider that if it’s ultimate, it may cost significantly more.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy MIB, the latest iteration in the evergreen Yggdrasil.

@Jason Stoddard, anything more you can share about what the current thinking is with respect to the ultimate Yggdrasil and how it would differ from the Yggdrasil+?

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #129,705 of 150,656
@Jason Stoddard, anything more you can share about what the current thinking is with respect to the ultimate Yggdrasil and how it would differ from the Yggdrasil+?
Don't hold your breath waiting. You'll be dead before we figure that out. Though we won't stop trying.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back