Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #129,616 of 150,611
I wonder what ASR would make of this interview with the late founder of NVA?
https://nvahifi.co.uk/pages/richard-dunn-interview

Q: But you still have to use test equipment when you design your amplifiers, don't you?
A: The only reason I have to use test equipment is to make sure the amplifier is safe.

🙂
Very nice small company with unique selling point(s), love the looks of their product. I believe the British Audiophile had some very positive reviews of it.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #129,617 of 150,611
Mike/Baldr has often said that the math is based on a 1918 Bell Labs paper. I haven't been able to find it, maybe you can?
I have some notes and I have tried a little, but I have not tried hard enough yet. I do have access to university library resources so I really should be able to find it.

He has also mentioned there was a divide-by-zero problem in there that a mathematician found a way around later, I do know a mathematician who claims to have a near-panacea for divide-by-zero problems so maybe I can get there too. Not sure who or what can give me the motivation to be trying hard enough to succeed though.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #129,618 of 150,611
Not sure who or what can give me the motivation to be trying hard enough to succeed though.
I did think of something that would make me want to do this. But I have to put it in the big pile of why the screw do I only want to do things that require me to run my own company?

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #129,620 of 150,611
From someone who has been there 3x: the only "recovery" is arthroscopic surgery with a top knee surgeon to clean up the torn cartilage bits. Anything else, including all kinds of physical therapy, is just delaying the surgery while losing fitness from not being able to move freely.
What he said. That's why I'm getting my right knee replacement in April. I'll have to give up parachute jumping for good but I can bike to my hearts content, and use the machines in the gym with no pain in either knee. With a proper job of installation (my doc uses MAKO robotic technology) it has been suggested to me by two other medical professions it may help with normal age related back issues as well. It's not just the tendon / cartilage issues alone with the knees joints, they are further complicated by arthritis which only gets worse as we age. The replacement, obviously, removes the arthritis issues in the joint as well.

It's always best to take care of the original joints but at least there are options when they holler "uncle".

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #129,621 of 150,611
From someone who has been there 3x: the only "recovery" is arthroscopic surgery with a top knee surgeon to clean up the torn cartilage bits. Anything else, including all kinds of physical therapy, is just delaying the surgery while losing fitness from not being able to move freely.
Not having first hand or even professional knowledge, I had to do some research and send some emails. I agree with above wholeheartedly

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #129,623 of 150,611
IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

Schiit, those Norse sagas are the real deal. 😳

(from Assassin’s Creed Valhalla — The Dawn of Ragnarök)

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #129,624 of 150,611
The problem with no surgery is that those broken bits of cartilage move around in the knee and sooner or later get stuck where inflammation/swelling/pain flare up. The surgery cleans out all that debris. My right-knee arthroscopic surgery was 27 years go, and the knee functioned really well until 2019, when osteoarthritis started causing problems. I've had two surgeries on my left knee, 2006 and 2016, I get a bit of swelling from time to time when I push it hard, did get a hyaluronic acid injection a year ago to deal with a bigger flare up. According to my current orthopedic doc I can continue to hike and ski, no knee replacements for quite a few years still. But he suggested that I do hyaluronic acid injections on both knees right before the ski season...
I was warned about arthritis if I had surgery. No matter what I was told I need to strengthen specific muscles.😉

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #129,625 of 150,611
Oct 31, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #129,626 of 150,611
I suppose that I overstayed my welcome on my path to 81. But, I still know [mostly] how to design tube amplifiers. Don't ask me about transistors.
Sam - age 81 and still showing up here every day with a sense of humor. Well done, sir. :)

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #129,627 of 150,611
I hate to pile on, but I've had similar things happen w my Freya N. I just chalked it up to the fact that while you can run a lot of different kinds of tubes in this preamp, the fact that it runs so hot and was designed around the rockets means that you will very likely run into issues like this.

Most 12a*7 tubes I've rolled eventually started making noises or going microphonic. Granted they were cheap and old, but none of the rockets ever did that, and I bought some off ebay in addition to the stock tubes.

Sticking w noval lissts and rockets for the time being, until I can get my hands on some quality 12AT7's to take another stab at it.
I fired up my rig with the Freya N last evening after a several week break, and guess what? I've got noise out of the speakers at idle.

Mine sounds similar to a transformer hum, but higher pitched and again coming from the speakers, not the amp or Freya. Could that be ringing? Sorry, somewhat new to the tube world. It is much louder with the tube stage engaged, but is still there in the solid state modes.

I emailed Schiit support, and so far they asked if I tried replacing the tubes, so perhaps that's the culprit? (No spares handy to confirm).

If I'm buying tubes, what would you recommend in the $50 or so each range?

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #129,628 of 150,611
I fired up my rig with the Freya N last evening after a several week break, and guess what? I've got noise out of the speakers at idle.

Mine sounds similar to a transformer hum, but higher pitched and again coming from the speakers, not the amp or Freya. Could that be ringing? Sorry, somewhat new to the tube world. It is much louder with the tube stage engaged, but is still there in the solid state modes.

I emailed Schiit support, and so far they asked if I tried replacing the tubes, so perhaps that's the culprit? (No spares handy to confirm).

If I'm buying tubes, what would you recommend in the $50 or so each range?
With the tube stage engaged, tap on the Freya's chassis and the shelf it's sitting on. Does the tapping come through on the speakers (will be a ringing and echoing sound)? Does changing the volume result in the relay clicks carrying through to the speakers? If so, the tubes have gone microphonic.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #129,629 of 150,611
When the subject of adapters came up earlier, it reminded me of a strange question I’ve been meaning to ask - does anyone know where to get a rigid Y splitter for an XLR headphone pair? This would plug-in to the XLR socket on a Ragnarok 2, for example, and then I could plug two balanced headphones into the Ragnarok.
Why would want to do such a thing? Simple. I’m looking to A/B headphones with a friend, so we can plug two sets of identical headphones into a rag and compare notes.
Obviously, we would use similar or the same headphones, so no impedance problems, etc.
Plugging in two headphones of the same impedance will change the impedance and cut it in half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back