Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #129,406 of 150,657
Do I see a ZeroStat behind the Rega's power supply?

The original ZeroStat. This one is about 45 years old

IMG_8939.jpeg

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #129,407 of 150,657
Yeah. I guess Ragnarok would qualify if you really stretched it. Maybe even Kara. 😏
Truth. Both have headphone outs! And both are128 step ladders, while Lyr is 64.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #129,408 of 150,657
But I have to warn you, that Gungnir and Yggy level of perfection does not come without its dark sides. Sol Gabetta is quite the loud breather, for example. She's mastered the cello like nobody else has on this planet. But, boy!, the way she breathes while she plays, especially during those more emotional passages? It does get a bit tiring after a while. And Simon Rattle? Man, what a maestro! Second only to Karajan, that's for sure. But as much as I adore the guy's artistry, he god-damned effing hums along while he conducts! And no, he's not hitting the right notes, either. 🤣
Yep ... notably also Keith Jarrett on his Jazz piano pieces

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #129,409 of 150,657
I may have totally missed it, but is there any chance of a Gungnir-successor? I'm really enjoying my Bifrost, but wouldn't mind an upgrade. And an Yggy+ would be a pretty long way into my future I'm afraid..
Just dreaming along..

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #129,410 of 150,657
I may have totally missed it, but is there any chance of a Gungnir-successor? I'm really enjoying my Bifrost, but wouldn't mind an upgrade. And an Yggy+ would be a pretty long way into my future I'm afraid..
Just dreaming along..
IIRC, Jason mentioned that it isn't in the works yet. While that gap in the DAC lineup is very clear size-wise, I can see how it is a challenge in terms of price point. $1200 would be right, $1100 or $1300 okay, anything else probably not. That is a pretty specific target!

I expect that it is only a matter of time - but that time may be long. E.g. there may be a need for new DAC chips, or extended experimentation with the 11001B, before Schiit can make a Gungnir that makes sense. This is very speculative speculation though! It is hard to make predictions, especially about the future and even more so when it is not your own.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #129,411 of 150,657
Just dreaming along..
I bought a used Gungir MB a couple of years ago to use in my second system (I had Ygggy OG in the main system).

It cost around £1,000 here in UK, but had barely been used and was in mint condition.

It sounds amazing; silky smooth, but with plenty of detail and absolutely no harshness.

I really like it.

I haven’t done an A/B test against Yggy OG in my main system, as frankly I cannot be bothered to fiddle with all the connections, but I think it shares a lot of the characteristics of the Yggy OG, so based on an admittedly unscientific ‘review’, I’d recommend a ‘Gumby’.

As I recall, it is a very similar design to Yggy OG and many of the same components are used in both.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #129,412 of 150,657
Wasn't he asking about a slide rule?

My brother had one, never got the hang of it. My HP 41 (with programming!) was more intelligble, almost.
LOL, your right. My mind jumped immediately to the 2 Yggy's I owned. Turn on/off a slide rule didn't register.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #129,413 of 150,657
LOL, your right. My mind jumped immediately to the 2 Yggy's I owned. Turn on/off a slide rule didn't register.
I know how to clear the registers on one though! You slide the two pieces back fully together :)

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #129,416 of 150,657
Hm… "Bass-head" sounds like Apple Beats oontz-oontz-oontz stuff. Maybe I should clarify, just in case…

Gungnir MB isn't for bass-heads, per se, although I don't think a bass-head would disapprove of the way the Gungnir sounds.
It's more like…

If you want to hear precisely where on that stage in front of you that upright bass was standing, you should buy a Bifrost.
If you also want to hear every last nuance of how that upright player's bow was dancing across the strings — and I literally mean every single detail of every single one of those two, three, four hundred times a second that that bow hops away from the string just to land back on it a fraction of a hundredth of a second later — you'll be equally happy with a Gungnir MB and an Yggy OG.
But if you want all that detail to also Slappp A$$$™️ without ever losing even just a tiny bit of all that highly resolved minutia, then the Gungnir is Ya Boi!

But I have to warn you, that Gungnir and Yggy level of perfection does not come without its dark sides. Sol Gabetta is quite the loud breather, for example. She's mastered the cello like nobody else has on this planet. But, boy!, the way she breathes while she plays, especially during those more emotional passages? It does get a bit tiring after a while. And Simon Rattle? Man, what a maestro! Second only to Karajan, that's for sure. But as much as I adore the guy's artistry, he god-damned effing hums along while he conducts! And no, he's not hitting the right notes, either. 🤣
And on a somewhat more serious note, bad recordings can be a bit less enjoyable as well. That's especially important if you're mainly listening to (mainstream) stuff that's been recorded in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
The upgrade from D/S to MB of my Gungnir (back in the day!) was the best decision I ever made in this hobby. It was like flipping ON the real music sound switch. I've never looked back and even bought a 2nd Gumby before they disappeared from the Schiit line-up. The level of detail in the music is amazing. People breathing, the drummer making mistakes, toe tapping, Mingus shouting at his fellow musicians, and then there's Keith Jarrett! ... it's all there. It greatly adds to the listening experience, for me. As always, this hobby is very personal and YMMV. Happy listening! :)

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #129,417 of 150,657
The upgrade from D/S to MB of my Gungnir (back in the day!) was the best decision I ever made in this hobby. It was like flipping ON the real music sound switch. I've never looked back and even bought a 2nd Gumby before they disappeared from the Schiit line-up. The level of detail in the music is amazing. People breathing, the drummer making mistakes, toe tapping, Mingus shouting at his fellow musicians, and then there's Keith Jarrett! ... it's all there. It greatly adds to the listening experience, for me. As always, this hobby is very personal and YMMV. Happy listening! :)
You could replace your DAC with a block of wood and you’d still hear Keith Jarrett grunting, groaning and carrying on.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #129,418 of 150,657
You could replace your DAC with a block of wood and you’d still hear Keith Jarrett grunting, groaning and carrying on.
Yeah, I need to be in the right mood for Mr. Jarrett, but all those jazz leaders did that to a certain extent.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #129,419 of 150,657
After reading the last few pages of this thread I hear all of that coming from Keith, and I'm listening to something else altogether this morning! :joy_cat:

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #129,420 of 150,657
Maybe put it back in the leathercase and take it our again?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back