Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #129,016 of 153,372
I will be looking for Caig to produce a product that inhibits tin whiskers on lead free solder, then I will invest in stock.
Simple. Add lead, resin core solder. Problems solved.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #129,018 of 153,372
My Skoll arrived at the house today. Not yet installed and played, will keep you posted. Changeover from Mani, to Man-2 and now Skoll.
Some setup pre-information: Sol with Denon DL103r into Freya-s into Tyr into Quad ESL Plus 63. Only 2-channel listening, never headphones.
For the Canadians, about pricing . When Skoll is in the house in Europe NL, the price is $ 583,00 (that includes, shipping, taxes, customs handling costs, idiotic conversion rates by PayPal and VAT). I still think it is a bargain though.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #129,020 of 153,372
My Skoll arrived at the house today. Not yet installed and played, will keep you posted. Changeover from Mani, to Man-2 and now Skoll.
Some setup pre-information: Sol with Denon DL103r into Freya-s into Tyr into Quad ESL Plus 63. Only 2-channel listening, never headphones.
For the Canadians, about pricing . When Skoll is in the house in Europe NL, the price is $ 583,00 (that includes, shipping, taxes, customs handling costs, idiotic conversion rates by PayPal and VAT). I still think it is a bargain though.
The "default"factory setting is balanced input, FYI. Gave me a scare for a minute before I figured it out.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #129,023 of 153,372
Thanks for posting your impressions of the Skoll @emorrison33.
Good to read another positive review.
Your Fluance TT looks very nice.
I have not come across them in the UK.
The TT market over here, at around that price point, seems to be dominated by Project and Rega.

Fluance is a Canadian company, Rega is British. The vagaries of international business mean entry level products not made in China tend to be more affordable in their home markets. Rega is expensive here, Fluance would be expensive there.

Good to have choices, though!

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #129,024 of 153,372
Wow! That is some system @wout31 :relaxed:

What an amazing set up.

I have never heard Quad ESLs but their reputation is fantastic.

I am sure that, fed by the Freya S/Tyr combo, they sound amazing.

Great to hear that you are using a Sol and with another legendary component- the Denon DL103r cartridge!

The Sol wasn’t available in the UK otherwise I would probably have one…

Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the Skoll in that lovely system.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #129,025 of 153,372
The Sol wasn’t available in the UK otherwise I would probably have one…
It wasn't available here either. As mentioned, I run it on a 50 Hz - 60 Hz VFD.

Talking UK stuff, I would love to have my Decca London (red version) back here now to try with the 2nd or 3rd arm with Sol. Wish I had never sold it :disappointed:
Those cartridges are only available used, and I don't know if I can buy them with confidence and at a reasonable (what is that) price. Probably too expensive now.

If you ever cross the canal, come and visit. Always nice to listen to music, talk technical Quad ESL talk and enjoy the Schiit.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #129,026 of 153,372
@Jason Stoddard posted elsewhere that Yggy MIB will be out this Wednesday. The day I should receive OG. Let's hope I made the right decision.
I must have missed Jason’s post about the Yggy MIB…

I don’t know what it is, let alone what it will sound like.

Rest assured though; however good the MIB is, you will have the original, classic Yggy and it is very special!

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #129,027 of 153,372
Is anyone else having a problem getting stuck at the Capcha when placing an order on an iPad?
As soon as I tell it I am not a bot, it just hangs forever.
I am pretty sure I have placed several orders from this same iPad before with no problem.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #129,028 of 153,372
I must have missed Jason’s post about the Yggy MIB…

I don’t know what it is, let alone what it will sound like.

Rest assured though; however good the MIB is, you will have the original, classic Yggy and it is very special!
I liked your comment mostly because I saw that you were at 9,999 and figured you needed to be at 10,000 likes. So there!

But I agree with you, nevertheless. 😁

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #129,029 of 153,372
DeOxit is absolutely a must have in my audio setup - works wonders at de- scungeing contacts and suchlike and slows the re- oxidation , I have been using since 1980's

That works great and also really helpful on guitar pots which are notorious for getting noisy over time.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #129,030 of 153,372
@Les Strat for the purpose of Yggy:

LIM = Less is More (doesn't measure as well than OG but sounds better)
MIL = More is Less (measures the best but doesn't sound as good as OG or LIM)
MIB = More is Better (is supposed to measure the best and sound the best) - I guess we'll have to see (hear) on this one.

That is a very cool render!

In other news, two things:

1. There will be another run of Mjolnir 3 so we can have 230V compatibility. The current run probably has 2-3 weeks left before it's out. The next run is 8-10 weeks out. We're still investigating silver; not sure on that one yet. Call it a maybe.

2. Things are changing on the Yggdrasil side. OG is not super long for this world, because the AD5791 DACs have gone so high in price it's not worth making them anymore (even if we could get them, which so far is iffy). As in, OG might have to go well above $3K in order to continue with AD5791s. So, if you want an OG, don't wait too long. In addition, we'll be doing a short run of "MIB," or "More is Better," using the DAC10011B. This is not the DAC10011A. This is a whole new thing that improves performance at 20kHz by 45 dB. Yes, that's forty-five, not a misprint. It's a different league. A few protos have been circulating and people seem to like them. Look for that late this month or early next month.

And finally, if you're at the NC meet, I'll see you there!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back