Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #127,426 of 150,256
Very nice!

If you ever happen to be in San Francisco, make sure to stop by at 1855 Haight Street, just a few blocks down the street from that intersection of Haight and Ashbury that you may or may not have heard of before. I think they held some sort of get together around that part of town in the late 60s or something. There's this little hole in the wall at that address called Amoeba Music, could be worth a visit.
Pro tip: Have your significant other with you as the voice of sanity sitting on your shoulder at all times. Because as a lover of any imaginable kind of music ever put on any sort of recording medium, no matter how wealthy your accountant tells you that you might be, you sure as hell will go broke there if remained unchecked.
They also have locations in Berkeley and Hollywood, but the SF one is my favorite. Well, mostly because of the music-historically significant neighborhood it's located in, but still.

Oh, and also because of all the other eclectic stores around the area. Make sure to stop by Escape from New York Pizza (at 1737 Haight), which might just be the best god-damned proper (i.e. New York style) pizza west of the Hudson, or The Love of Ganesha (at 1573 Haight), my favorite "metaphysical supply store" as they call themselves.
And while you're at it, you should also stop by 710 Ashbury Street. Just an inconspicuous li'l old Victorian that you can only take a look at from the street, but oh to be able to be a fly at the wall there from '66 to '68! You wouldn't have been able to fly in a straight line, I suppose. But you'd have seen and heard some truly fascinating Schiit, that's for sure.
Some of the best food I’ve ever had were in San Francisco and Berkeley. Some really great pizza,Indian food, Ethiopian food etc.

I’ve never been to Amoeba in SF, but I go to the one in Hollywood a bit too often. Definitely a great way to get rid of a lot of money.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #127,427 of 150,256
If it drowns out the wife screaming 'they're breaking' with 300 yards between me and the next car, I'll take one!
Nah, She's used to my driving by now. We'll test it tomorrow, we are off to Richmond. Who goes to a series of National Parks in a shutdown.......

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #127,428 of 150,256
So is it Missouree or Missouruh? It's even debated by residents of the state. The best argument I've heard is, "You don't say Mississippah, do you?"
I grew up in Hannibal MO and that was always my argument. :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #127,430 of 150,256
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #127,431 of 150,256
Cheap is not free, and recabling a large system just because Is wasteful — hence the hesitation.
I tend to stay away from adapters, chances are I could build with Pentaconn connectors. Finding quality versions would be difficult. TRRS is bad enough, small cylinders separated by plastic that do not allow for much heat from soldering.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #127,432 of 150,256
I don't have any issue with hearing requests, it's just that many of them are not as practical as you think:
2. Extra outputs on Freya: physics says no, because this is full. Or I guess we could go all Pentaconn. Those are tiny. Also not a standard thing, also stereo output. Still, not a great answer here without going to a much larger chassis.
Pentaconn has it's place, but not on full sized components ...

I get the attraction of pentaconn connectors for portable DACs and headphone amps, or even the small form factor desktop gear where a proper pair of XLR connectors won't fit, but the thought of a rack-width (or mid-width) component decked out with a backside full of pentaconn connectors makes me cringe.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #127,433 of 150,256
Pentaconn has it's place, but not on full sized components ...

I get the attraction of pentaconn connectors for portable DACs and headphone amps, or even the small form factor desktop gear where a proper pair of XLR connectors won't fit, but the thought of a rack-width (or mid-width) component decked out with a backside full of pentaconn connectors makes me cringe.
… components with the sign of the pentaconn … 6.66V / 451 mA input required ? … 😈

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #127,434 of 150,256
I tend to stay away from adapters, chances are I could build with Pentaconn connectors. Finding quality versions would be difficult. TRRS is bad enough, small cylinders separated by plastic that do not allow for much heat from soldering.
Also: Adapters just add additional contact resistance to your interconnects and cheap ones usually aren't shielded all that well.

I generally don't particularly hate the Pentaconn connector, but please only for balanced mobile devices. For stationary gear, I prefer XLR over pretty much everything else. Standardized, with vast compatibility all the way back to the dark ages, sturdy, reliable, usually well shielded, doesn't get awkward to handle when attached to chunkier wires, and no potentially problematic shorts or other kinds of connection misfires while plugging/unplugging.

Nah, thanks. A solution that causes more issues than it solves isn't a solution. I think I'll stick with XLR for my balanced Schiit and just add a switch box or something if (and only if) I ever need more than just one output.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #127,435 of 150,256
Very nice!

If you ever happen to be in San Francisco, make sure to stop by at 1855 Haight Street, just a few blocks down the street from that intersection of Haight and Ashbury that you may or may not have heard of before. I think they held some sort of get together around that part of town in the late 60s or something. There's this little hole in the wall at that address called Amoeba Music, could be worth a visit.
Pro tip: Have your significant other with you as the voice of sanity sitting on your shoulder at all times. Because as a lover of any imaginable kind of music ever put on any sort of recording medium, no matter how wealthy your accountant tells you that you might be, you sure as hell will go broke there if remained unchecked.
They also have locations in Berkeley and Hollywood, but the SF one is my favorite. Well, mostly because of the music-historically significant neighborhood it's located in, but still.

Oh, and also because of all the other eclectic stores around the area. Make sure to stop by Escape from New York Pizza (at 1737 Haight), which might just be the best god-damned proper (i.e. New York style) pizza west of the Hudson, or The Love of Ganesha (at 1573 Haight), my favorite "metaphysical supply store" as they call themselves.
And while you're at it, you should also stop by 710 Ashbury Street. Just an inconspicuous li'l old Victorian that you can only take a look at from the street, but oh to be able to be a fly at the wall there from '66 to '68! You wouldn't have been able to fly in a straight line, I suppose. But you'd have seen and heard some truly fascinating Schiit, that's for sure.
710 Ashbury St. Gives me goose bumps thinking about it today. A lot of history there....

Leo

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #127,436 of 150,256
Also: Adapters just add additional contact resistance to your interconnects and cheap ones usually aren't shielded all that well.

I generally don't particularly hate the Pentaconn connector, but please only for balanced mobile devices. For stationary gear, I prefer XLR over pretty much everything else. Standardized, with vast compatibility all the way back to the dark ages, sturdy, reliable, usually well shielded, doesn't get awkward to handle when attached to chunkier wires, and no potentially problematic shorts or other kinds of connection misfires while plugging/unplugging.

Nah, thanks. A solution that causes more issues than it solves isn't a solution. I think I'll stick with XLR for my balanced Schiit and just add a switch box or something if (and only if) I ever need more than just one output.**
** or get more gear 👍😀

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #127,437 of 150,256

Nah, thanks. A solution that causes more issues than it solves isn't a solution. I think I'll stick with XLR for my balanced Schiit and just add a switch box or something if (and only if) I ever need more than just one output.
1696005273990.png

This is the inside of a 3.5 mm TRRS connector and shows where one is supposed to solder on the right hand side. The Pentaconn is slightly larger and can be considered TRRRS. I do not trust this type of add on connector and most originate in China. Solder lugs are the way to go but few companies sell them.
1696005844496.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #127,438 of 150,256
Balanced only is guaranteed to sell 1/10 as much as an input-agnostic product.

How do you feel about all Pentaconn? Those are balanced, two channel, and take less space than an RCA. Yeah, I still don't like them either. Not on full-sized products, anyway.
I like it just fine. It's a good connector and I wouldn't even be that annoyed to have to get adapters for it. But, then, I seem to recall that you've said that the parts options on your end are either overpriced or poorly made, which is less appealing.

More balanced outputs wouldn't be very likely to convince me to replace my Freya+. Adding a fixed-level RCA output (whether it's behind a mode switch or not, I don't really care) would be a different story, because that would make it easier to send along to the external headphone amp and to the tape deck, which I'm sure isn't that common a use case.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #127,439 of 150,256
1696005273990.png
This is the inside of a 3.5 mm TRRS connector and shows where one is supposed to solder on the right hand side. The Pentaconn is slightly larger and can be considered TRRRS. I do not trust this type of add on connector and most originate in China. Solder lugs are the way to go but few companies sell them.
1696005844496.png
How would you even get your solder blob to properly adhere to that highly polished, gold-or-whatever plated, convex surface in the first place? And without melting the plastic isolators between them?
Maybe I’m just not good enough with the iron, that’s always a distinct possibility. But getting a good and lasting connection seems impossible to me.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #127,440 of 150,256
I don't think anyone is advocating replacing XLR with Pentaconn if chassis real estate permits. Pentaconn should be used in full sized units only if there are space constraints preventing the use of a full size XLR connector. If an additional output and/or input is provided via Pentaconn due to space constraints on gear with XLR, its purpose should be as providing a 'nice-to have' feature or capability as opposed to a 'gotta have'. Its function should be for a purely optional/ancillary use-case in addition to full suite of standard size connectors for core connectivity, when in a full-sized product. Again, I would advocate for Pentaconn only where adding the standard full-sized XLR is not physically possible or is impractical. YMMV. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back