Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 28, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #127,411 of 150,258
Speaking of turntables, I'd think it optimum for the turntable to have its own dual preamplifier. The tonearm is awfully small in cross section; the "transmission line" therefore needs balanced execution in two channels. Moving coils are difficult to amplify but easy to match for characteristic impedance. Piezoceramics generate the highest voltage but are difficult to match for characteristic impedance.

The MANI™ looks less than optimum for my requirements, as the inputs are NOT balanced. The tonearm cross section would support at most a mini-DIN5 plug for balanced execution o' the cartridge. Dual Cannon XLR3S I find adequate for stereo output.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #127,412 of 150,258
The only reason I see for having a loop incorporated into a Schiit preamp/integrated is to utilize the wonderful Loki Max for every input without adding user-end complexity scenarios trying to use Sys/switches and balanced/SE variables to get it all in before the preamp/integrated. Totally doable (as I have done) but it sure is complex on the user end.
I do like loops for an analog or DSP EQ insertion option. I used to record off of the radio too but no longer since most shows I listen to have on demand streams. Lots of Preamps still have in/out loops which is kind of cool.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #127,413 of 150,258
NO! I want my Kia Niro to have a 427 cubic inch big block under the hood with an 8-71 blower sticking out of the hood!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Talk about unsafe at any speed!

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #127,415 of 150,258
Visited Concerto, the biggest record store I’ve seen in a long time (ever?), yesterday in Amsterdam. It they don’t have it, it might not exist. And finding stuff is so easy as it’s fully catalogued. Great place to visit, unless you’re a Visa card!

IMG_2419.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2417.jpeg
    IMG_2417.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #127,416 of 150,258
Could be wrong, but you could make a custom cable - center pin of RCA goes to pin 2 on XLR, outer of RCA goes to pin 3, ground connection goes to pin 1 on both XLR's
if the RCA shells on SOL connector block are connected together electrically, this will negate the ability to run true (pseudo-floating) balanced operation.

for true balanced operation wrt the TT's chassis ground, better to have a mating connector to the single-row 1x4 or 1x5 pin header instead, XLR +/- phase pins to the respective cartridge leads, and left/right XLR ground pins to the SOL chassis. mating connector body needs to be mechanically affixed to the table chassis as well. good project for an existing SOL owner with DIY skills...

ideally, for low output MC, etc. cartridges, having the phono pre-amp connected as closely to the headshell leads as possible would yield the best signal-to-noise and highest performance vs conventional scheme of headshell leads -> interposer -> RCA / XLR interconnect -> phono pre-amp.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #127,417 of 150,258
The correct pronunciation for Versailles, MO is Versales. Nevada, MO is pronounced neh VAY duh.

Locally, Chouteau Blvd. is often butchered by visitors. Crysler Ave. is also mispronounced as the auto brand. They're Show-toe and Kriss-ler, phonetically.

So is it Missouree or Missouruh? It's even debated by residents of the state. The best argument I've heard is, "You don't say Mississippah, do you?"
The people of Cincinnati laugh at the rubes from Versailles, Indiana because they do not pronounce it the way the French would. And the people of Cincinnati don’t pronounce “Paris” the way the residents of Paris, France pronounce it. So it’s a double standard.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #127,418 of 150,258
Balanced only is guaranteed to sell 1/10 as much as an input-agnostic product.

How do you feel about all Pentaconn? Those are balanced, two channel, and take less space than an RCA. Yeah, I still don't like them either. Not on full-sized products, anyway.
How about mixture of mostly rca, xlr, and just one pentaconn i/o set?

Does Snake Oil or Straight Wire do pentaconn?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #127,419 of 150,258
The only reason I see for having a loop incorporated into a Schiit preamp/integrated is to utilize the wonderful Loki Max for every input without adding user-end complexity scenarios trying to use Sys/switches and balanced/SE variables to get it all in before the preamp/integrated. Totally doable (as I have done) but it sure is complex on the user end.
I'd love to see this, but consider:
  1. Is tape loop balanced or unbalanced?
  2. At least for the Kara form factor, XLR's are out, but as Jason mentioned pentaconn might work.
  3. Does balanced even matter? In the case of the Loki Max, we know equalization internally is unbalanced
  4. If so how do we handled balanced inputs -> single ended tape loop; and back
As Jason said; market demand for this? Probably not, but if such a preamp came out, I would buy it and a Loki Max in a heartbeat

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #127,420 of 150,258
I'd love to see this, but consider:
  1. Is tape loop balanced or unbalanced?
  2. At least for the Kara form factor, XLR's are out, but as Jason mentioned pentaconn might work.
  3. Does balanced even matter? In the case of the Loki Max, we know equalization internally is unbalanced
  4. If so how do we handled balanced inputs -> single ended tape loop; and back
As Jason said; market demand for this? Probably not, but if such a preamp came out, I would buy it and a Loki Max in a heartbeat
Great points! The loop really would only need to be one or the other. If using SE for the loop, it would take care of everything except strictly balanced, which you have one input on the Loki Max, so it would still take care of that. Hehe, but now with the Skoll, I would have two balanced inputs to bringinto the Loki Max DAC and phono. AAAGH! Connection madness!!! 😊

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #127,421 of 150,258
How do you feel about all Pentaconn? Those are balanced, two channel, and take less space than an RCA. Yeah, I still don't like them either. Not on full-sized products, anyway.
A little nervous if I have to purchase new cables, tbh. Added as an option, cool. As the only option, may take a while to see the value in the jump.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #127,422 of 150,258
A little nervous if I have to purchase new cables, tbh. Added as an option, cool. As the only option, may take a while to see the value in the jump.
Pentaconn to xlr adapters are cheap though.

If going pentaconn means more flexibility and options, I'm game. A real HT bypass wouid be nice.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #127,423 of 150,258
Why are you running headphone amps/pres into other headphone amps/pres? Sorry but what you're doing doesn't make sense. You can buy an amp who's sound you like or an EQ to change the sound of the one you currently have.

If you want the flavor of a certain headphone amp/pre but more power, buy a transparent speaker amp.
Lets say I have a CMA15 that has decent power, but I want to give it a tube flavor. But I don’t need two volume nobs. Or when you already have a speaker system with a Pre in the chain and you just want some tubes in it. Having LO switch on Jot3/Vali2/FV would help a lot.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #127,424 of 150,258
Visited Concerto, the biggest record store I’ve seen in a long time (ever?), yesterday in Amsterdam. It they don’t have it, it might not exist. And finding stuff is so easy as it’s fully catalogued. Great place to visit, unless you’re a Visa card!

IMG_2419.jpeg

Where's the Prog Rock section...??? 😃

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #127,425 of 150,258

Very nice!

If you ever happen to be in San Francisco, make sure to stop by at 1855 Haight Street, just a few blocks down the street from that intersection of Haight and Ashbury that you may or may not have heard of before. I think they held some sort of get together around that part of town in the late 60s or something. There's this little hole in the wall at that address called Amoeba Music, could be worth a visit.
Pro tip: Have your significant other with you as the voice of sanity sitting on your shoulder at all times. Because as a lover of any imaginable kind of music ever put on any sort of recording medium, no matter how wealthy your accountant tells you that you might be, you sure as hell will go broke there if remained unchecked.
They also have locations in Berkeley and Hollywood, but the SF one is my favorite. Well, mostly because of the music-historically significant neighborhood it's located in, but still.

Oh, and also because of all the other eclectic stores around the area. Make sure to stop by Escape from New York Pizza (at 1737 Haight), which might just be the best god-damned proper (i.e. New York style) pizza west of the Hudson, or The Love of Ganesha (at 1573 Haight), my favorite "metaphysical supply store" as they call themselves.
And while you're at it, you should also stop by 710 Ashbury Street. Just an inconspicuous li'l old Victorian that you can only take a look at from the street, but oh to be able to be a fly on the wall there from '66 to '68! You wouldn't have been able to fly in a straight line, I suppose. But you'd have seen and heard some truly fascinating Schiit, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back