Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 11, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #126,287 of 155,114
@dstrimbu Where do you get your CDs?

I find that Amazon tends to nudge toward buying digital downloads.
Hi @sopranomi - I buy some CD from Amazon, but most from a local record store. The owner offers a lot of new discs, and his used disc selection is carefully curated. Agreed w/r/t Amazon; I'm seeing more and more downloadable offerings and less physical compact disc media.

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #126,288 of 155,114
Sep 11, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #126,290 of 155,114

Powered by Taco Bell, in association with Hot Ones.
Yeah. That's nice but I don't have any miles yet. When I can start banking miles, I figure it'll be quite a few more Schitt-shows before I'll amass enough for a 1st class Porcelain Throne upgrade. :unamused:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #126,292 of 155,114
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #126,293 of 155,114
All
Let the guessing game begin :)

With it being Corpus, the transformers are probably external - or none at all?

- A new Vali?
- Cables? (‘a pathway of maximum controversy’)
- Contact cleaner with nano-bots?
- An AI processor that makes new music sound like old music, and old music sound like new music.
- Passive VU meters, that makes a point by having an unnecessary power switch at the back.

Andrew
All my eggs are in the Sol 2 basket. With VU meters please.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #126,294 of 155,114
I sometimes wish that I could plug myself into a wall wart. Would that mean I'd have to move to Texas...? That's a lot to think about, at least according to @bcowen...! But, he does seem to be a reliable source of information...! :wink: 🤣
Using which appendage, pray tell, as the jack?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #126,295 of 155,114
"Bonkers in terms of value."

Please, do tell!
My first impressions are "So resolving it transitioned into smoothness".
I knew immediately when Jason said that the amp wasn't for everyone that I should buy one. I was right. I think Jason doesn't want "everyone" burning their fingers on the heat-sinks and complaining. I do wonder why there isn't the relay volume control from the Lyr+ though. That would have made it perfect.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #126,297 of 155,114
I seen to remember seeing a bundle on the Schiit site a month or two back consisting of a Black Jotunheim 2 paired with a DCA Aeon Noire. Looks like it’s sold out. Anyone (Jason?) have any idea if there are more of these deals planned?

MC

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #126,298 of 155,114
All this talk of Schiit and loos reminds me of the time my dad fell into a cesspit. He couldn’t swim, but he went through the motions…

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #126,300 of 155,114
I do wonder why there isn't the relay volume control from the Lyr+ though. That would have made it perfect.
The reasons that I can think of:
  • Space constraints. The board is already pretty packed, adding a relay ladder would require additional space for a 3.3V power supply, a microcontroller, the microcontroller's support circuitry (i.e. a bunch of resistors, capacitors, and relay driver ICs), relays, and the resistors for the ladder itself. All in all somewhere around three, maybe four square inch in surface area, plus the tracing to connect it all.
  • Mjolnir 3 has two entirely separate power supplies, one per channel. Having to add a 3.3V power supply for the microcontroller would mean that you would have to tap into one of those two supplies, potentially introducing an imbalance in power delivery capability and/or noise floor between the two channels.
  • Mjolnir 3 is entirely analog, there's nothing digital on the board. Lyr already required a microcontroller for other tasks, adding the relay ladder didn't add a ton of otherwise unnecessary development complexity.
  • The Alps pots are good enough for most human ears in terms of channel balance. And they're not stepped, which some might consider preferable in a headphone amp because it provides finer-grained volume control especially when driving very efficient headphones.
    Bonus (at least for me): 🇯🇵! 😁 (Although, to be fair, the relays that Schiit usually uses are Japanese, as well.)
  • Since Mjolnir 3 is the (spiritual) successor to the first two Mjolnirs, and since it was meant to be an entirely analog product, the idea to use a relay ladder may simply never have come up along the way.
I have a hunch that at least one of them could be in the neighborhood of being right. Or maybe a mix of them. Or it was for an entirely different reason altogether. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back