Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #124,171 of 150,799
Omg I used the good stuff there! Amazon single wall is more your style, that must have been meant for @Ripper2860.🤣🤣
It *is* Ripper's. But he broke it and asked me if I could fix it for him. I guess he was too embarrassed to tell you. 🤣

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #124,172 of 150,799
Lots of people want hi-fi that fits cleanly into an Ikea Kallax shelving unit. Darko even has a category for it: "Kallax-fi." Schiit's mid-sized gear fits the bill nicely.

Suitable speakers to fit are harder to come by.
Devore Mirco /O fit the speaker bill for Kallax-Fi.

Maybe Schiit could do something similar at an actual reasonable price.

Market the line as Schiit micro-Fi.
MM2- Sys- Rekkr

Or the big boys Bifrost- Saga- G-Horn.

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #124,173 of 150,799
No, its class A with current source, so more like 2W into 32 ohms, 1W into 16 ohms, 500mW into 8 ohms. At higher impedances (300 ohms and above), power does not increase proportionately to load resistance as the rail voltage / output swing limitation kicks in

So you are saying my zu DW Mk II would be magical with MJ3 😂.

They are nominally rated at 12 ohm but the actual graphs shows resistance is much higher for most frequencies..

(Edit - I wont try this. My MJ3 hasn't even shipped yet... I dont want to void the warranty before it leaves Schiits facility.....)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #124,174 of 150,799
I'm hoping for a Face ID activated switch. Then if my wife tries to turn it on I can tell her she's not handsome enough. 🤣
That’s a deathwish, my friend. Nice knowin’ya!

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #124,175 of 150,799
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #124,176 of 150,799
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but can the Mjolnir 3 run both balanced and SE pre-outs at the same time? It says switchable on the product page but I'm not what that is exactly in reference to...

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #124,177 of 150,799
I do love pictures of BBQ. Grilled chicken thighs that I slit on either side of the bone and marinade it in Frank's Red Hot. Bam!
IMG_1556.JPG

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #124,178 of 150,799
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but can the Mjolnir 3 run both balanced and SE pre-outs at the same time? It says switchable on the product page but I'm not what that is exactly in reference to...
I believe both are active when pre-out is switched on. Input is selectable between SE and XLR.

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #124,180 of 150,799
DEATH.

(One for the Terry Pratchett / Discworld contingent.)
Hogfather video is a favorite!

Death would totally ask the Hogfather for all black Schiit for Hog's Day (?).

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #124,181 of 150,799
Aug 19, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #124,182 of 150,799
Got my MJ3 earlier today. MJ3 has enough power for DCA Stealth at a good listening level, set to low gain, SE Class A, no feedback, with input from a Loki Max set a bit, uh, aggressively, on the 20hz knob. Sounds fantastic, too.

Time to try the AB-1266 Phi TC. While I love the 1266s, I'm still looking for a headphone amp pairing that I love with it without having to spend $10k on a WA33. Have been hoping the MJ3 is it since Jason started talking about it :fingers_crossed:

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #124,183 of 150,799
Lots of people want hi-fi that fits cleanly into an Ikea Kallax shelving unit. Darko even has a category for it: "Kallax-fi." Schiit's mid-sized gear fits the bill nicely.

Suitable speakers to fit are harder to come by.
Yes!

Need an annual "Kallax-fi" Speaker Invitational at the Schiitr. Something like the AZ hi fi's club speaker event of a few years ago.. 4 categories, winner holds the top prize trophy engraved with their name until the next year's winner (think Stanley Cup)
  • Gold/Silver/Bronze Rekkr - speakers sounding best with Magni/Rekkr.
  • G/S/B Gjallarhorn - Saga sized
  • G/S/B Grand - either Vidar or Tyr sized
I've settled on CA Minx for my uses, eyeing a Philharmonic True Mini.... (Lusting after a Fyne Audio Vintage Five but probably too big)

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #124,184 of 150,799
Got my MJ3 earlier today. MJ3 has enough power for DCA Stealth at a good listening level, set to low gain, SE Class A, no feedback, with input from a Loki Max set a bit, uh, aggressively, on the 20hz knob. Sounds fantastic, too.

Time to try the AB-1266 Phi TC. While I love the 1266s, I'm still looking for a headphone amp pairing that I love with it without having to spend $10k on a WA33. Have been hoping the MJ3 is it since Jason started talking about it :fingers_crossed:
AB-1266 Phi TC follow-up: MJ3 has enough power for the 1266s in SE Class A, no feedback, low gain.

It's does sound great, but the verdict is out whether it has the 'magic' that my Freya+ w/ dual Aegirs (F+2A) has with the 1266s. I think it's really close? I got caught up listening to a few new songs from a favorite duo of mine, so comparisons have been lacking. Time to listen to songs I'm familiar with.

EDIT because I don't like double-posting: the MJ3 is the closest match for the 'F+2A' rig I've heard with the 1266s (F+2A did not pair well with DCA Stealth, surprisingly). But it doesn't quite provide the same performance. Specifically MJ3 is just a little short in staging and separation. MJ3 might be better in other ways though, such as dynamics. For reference, I think the oft-recommended, 'perfect for the 1266' Formula S is not nearly as good as the F+2A rig for the 1266.

As an example of the staging and separation, in Billie Eilish's you should see me in a crown there is a second, synthetic vocal track that pairs with her vocals. It's an ethereal, demonic vocal track that can be hard to hear at all on some headphones/amps. Her vocals are up-close and intimate while, on great pairings, the demonic vocal track is coming from a distance and kind of everywhere. The MJ3 does separate the demonic vocals from hers fairly well, but not as much as the F+2A. How the MJ3 images it is also from two specific points about 80° from center on both sides whereas on the F+2A there's more separation and it's more diffuse.

Hooverphonic's The Magnificent Tree has similar (maybe even more obvious) differences in staging and separation, with the F+2A winning.

MJ3 has been great so far, though. My ramblings about 1266 paired with F+2A are because the 1266/F+2A pairing does some pretty fantastic and unique (in my experience) things when it comes to staging and separation that I haven't gotten from a headphone amp with the 1266 yet. Maybe I need to find a tube amp that can drive the 1266 to finally move on from the excessive F+2A (that consumes ~150W at idle). I think the MJ3 may do just enough on the 1266s to let me move the F+2A to some sort of speaker duty.

I think that's all for tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back