Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #124,126 of 149,607
When you are moving out of a house that you built 32 years ago, you mostly find a lot of junk to throw away. But occasionally you find something from your teen years that you had thought you had lost long ago. That's what we have here:

IMG_0130.jpeg

This pamphlet, published by JC Penney (of all people) in 1978 set me off on my audio journey. It contains very basic information, but to a 14 year old growing up in North Carolina in the late 70's, it was my audio bible until I could afford audio magazines several years later.

IMG_0131.jpeg

Anyway, it was nice to be reunited with an old friend.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #124,127 of 149,607
When you are moving out of a house that you built 32 years ago, you mostly find a lot of junk to throw away. But occasionally you find something from your teen years that you had thought you had lost long ago. That's what we have here:

IMG_0130.jpeg
This pamphlet, published by JC Penney (of all people) in 1978 set me off on my audio journey. It contains very basic information, but to a 14 year old growing up in North Carolina in the late 70's, it was my audio bible until I could afford audio magazines several years later.

IMG_0131.jpeg

Any way to take pictures of all the pages? I’m curious from a historical standpoint. Thanks

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #124,128 of 149,607
How do others handle having many amps 'in use'? I find myself needing a balanced switch with at least 4 outputs (preferably 5), as I'm wary of over-splitting the output from my Loki Max, but finding nothing that exists.

I've ended up settling into specific amp/headphone pairings and my setup is not conducive to swapping XLR cables at the back of amps every time I want to switch headphones.

Two weeks ago, my setup had 'just' 3 amps connected via XLR and I was comfortable using splitters. But I just got a DSHA-3FN (fantastic) and my MJ3 should be here tomorrow, which puts me at 5 amps 'in use'.

Setup:
  • Yggy LIM
    • Loki Max
      • Folkvangr via RCA
        • ZMF Atrium
      • Formula S via XLR
        • DCA Stealth
      • DSHA-3FN via XLR
        • ZMF Verite Closed or Verite Open
      • iHA-6 via XLR
        • Any other headphones I want to throw on, the iHA-6 is my master-of-none amp
      • Freya+ via XLR w/ dual Aegirs
        • Abyss AB-1266 TC (though hoping MJ3 can take the 1266s and free up the Aegirs for speakers, we'll see)
      • Mjolnir 3 via XLR
        • Who knows what headphones I'll like best with it

Anybody have recommendations for a splitter or other ways to handle this? I don't need them all on at once, so a switch is fine, just not finding one that exists.

@Jason Stoddard if you ever want to make a Kara-sized balanced switch with a ton of outputs, you'd have my money. Unless you think a Loki Max can handle its XLR out split 5 ways.
Might not be the cleanest solution but you could use two y-splitter XLRs —

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

out of the Loki.
Into two of these…
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Aud...R1XCNHG&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_30_i

Would give you 6.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #124,129 of 149,607

IMG_0130.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

Gosh seems like a lot of plain talk, common sense !!
Wonderful find!!

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #124,133 of 149,607
If it has, at least 50% of us don't remember. 😉

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #124,135 of 149,607
What I was doing briefly was using these passive high pass/low pass filters: https://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/
worked fine but then I got a new amp which was even better :). I missed the return window so you're welcome to them.

I was using them at 150Hz high pass and 200 Hz low pass or something.

Since the Kara has 3(?) outputs, one set full range, then the others low-passed with the Harrison Fmod and bob's your uncle.
After you posted about this company I got two sets of their inline x-overs since both my systems utilize stand-mount monitors with separate subwoofers (one per channel, of course). I used a 50Hz high pass to keep the main speakers from having to reproduce the lowest frequencies and the improvement in detail and resolution, particularly in the bass region and into the mid's was significant. At the same time sonic character of the speakers, especially my B & W 805D's in my main system, is unaffected Thank you for sharing the info about Harrison Labs. :smile_cat:

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #124,136 of 149,607
My setup is Bifrost 2/64=>Loki Max=>Jot2=>Parasound Halo Integrated (all balanced). Because my speakers are very efficient, the Jot2 is perfect for reducing/controlling gain in this chain.

Question:
Should I expect sound quality differences in this scenario with the MJ3 or are the sound quality differences really going to be in the headphone output? I do use the Jot2 for headphone listening as well, but I listen far more often through the loudspeakers in this setup and my concern is that I would be consuming more power than is really necessary for loudspeaker listening.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #124,137 of 149,607
My son also received his MJ3 today and has assured me that he will be posting his review in a little bit after he has a bit more time to listen to it.
Steve's son here, I finally believe I have had enough time of listening to the MJ3 in order to give my true opinion on it. It's worth mentioning, I spend most of my time listening to my headphone setup (BF2/64 -> balanced cables -> Jot2 -> balanced cable -> Hifiman Arya Stealth Magnet), so that will be my reference setup.

I started my journey with the MJ3 on the song BU2B from Rush's Clockwork Angels album. Personally I believed it was difficult to get Rush to sound good in headphones, but this changed that. Neil Peart's drums came alive in a way the Jot2 could not replicate. The bottom end felt alive, but not overbearing. Instruments felt spaced out, but retained all of the detail possibly even gaining some detail in places.

I feel like this trend is consistent, song after song, genre after genre.

In conclusion, it sounded good enough that it had me fanboying. Even a day later I find myself saying "oh I wonder what this song will sound like"
IMG_0621.jpg

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #124,138 of 149,607
Any North Carolinians going to meet Jason, Grahm and others in Pittsboro for the meet in September the 9th?
Its just a few weeks away!!

I plan on being there!!

Alex
:>)
I waas wiating for the volume to abate to a more modest level before reminding folks that @Jason Stoddard will be with us in Pittsboro on Septmeber 9th.

Please let us know if you are planning to attend here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...rham-chapel-hill-nc-fall-schiit-meetup.967927

If you are planning to bring kit, let me know please!!

Cheers

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #124,139 of 149,607

It's always good to scan such items and upload them to the internetarchive.org!

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #124,140 of 149,607
I guess that it's both not cheap enough for SE, and most people want gear that is balanced if they are considering a pre-amp at all. I don't know if anyone offers a remote-controlled pre at Saga money though, so in principle, I feel it shouldn't die.
Definitely agree. We probably just don't need two models. The real question is what the feature set of a replacement model would be like. Still thinking about that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back