Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 8, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #123,242 of 149,446
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #123,243 of 149,446
Only a Schiit-Head would get it. I've been chuckling all day since seeing it.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #123,244 of 149,446
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #123,245 of 149,446
Not interested in selling, but once I get it modeled and working I’d be happy to make a few and send them out to people on the forum.
That would be great!

Full disclosure, I just received my Allo miniBoss Player Plus in acrylic case (haven't turned it on yet).
(A) it's hideous
(B) it's huge - like the size of a 2 Mac minis, side by side.

(looking to see if it fits under the furniture....)

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #123,246 of 149,446
Wow. I just may become a classical guy. This is absolutely stunning.
Screenshot_20230808_205942_MAFA.jpg

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #123,247 of 149,446
1691436946094.jpeg

Today's a Sibelius kind of day.

My favorite (living) conductor, my favorite orchestra, one of my favorite composers.

You can either download it or play it in (on? through? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) your Urd, or even on your Sol.
Either way: you can't go wrong, and you're directly supporting the artists.
Dirt cheap for what it is, too.
Do it up!

A favorite composer of mine. If Copeland is America, and Vaughn-Williams is England, then Sibelius is Scandinavia. You can feel the chill that drifts down from the Arctic, the craggy, winding coastline of Norway, the woods and lakes of Sweden, and endless, silent forests of Finland. The opening movement of his 1st Symphony paints a different world from the music of other European countries. The closing movement of the 2nd Symphony is the like sun breaking through a cloudy sky. The brooding opening bars of the 4th Symphony. The charge to victory at the close of the 1st movement of the 5th Symphony. And perhaps my favorite, (although most of his works for orchestra are my favorite, LOL!) is the shifting, one movement 7th. I especially like Karajan and Berlin on DG for performance (V.K's 4th and Swan of Tuonela are also special). The 7th closes with massed strings and horns climbing up the scale and evaporating into the air.
And his final work, the tone poem "Tapiola", it ends dying away, yet somehow seems to be still in motion even though there is no sound.

But I could wax poetic for too long about all my favorite composers:laughing:
Thanks for the recommendation @ArmchairPhilosopher ! The Berliner/Rattle set will be ordered today :)
This made me dig out the tone poem "En Saga" by Sibelius (written 1901) yesterday (Paavo Berglund conducting Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, on LP EMI ASD 3038 together with Sibelius Symphony No. 5) - very good and definitely (north-)Scandinavian as @FLTWS writes. But I have to add the - in my view - most south-Scandinavian composer is Carl Nielsen. Inspired by Sibelius I today dug out the tone poem "Saga Drøm" ("Saga Dream" or "The Dream of Gunnar") by Carl Nielsen (written 1908) - with the New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by one of my favorite Nielsen and Mahler conductors Jascha Horenstein (on LP Unicorn Records RHS300, together with Nielsens Symphony No.5).
Hearing these two very Scandinavian, and very different tone poems is interesting in their likenesses and contrasts. In a way you could say that Sibelius builds in stone and wast horizons - maybe monumentally like Bruckner - while Nielsen builds in contrasts, blending woodwinds with their own motives into the main orchestral lines - a bit more surrealistic like Mahler?

Lots of great stuff here:L3000:

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #123,248 of 149,446
Thanks for the recommendation @ArmchairPhilosopher ! The Berliner/Rattle set will be ordered today :)
This made me dig out the tone poem "En Saga" by Sibelius (written 1901) yesterday (Paavo Berglund conducting Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, on LP EMI ASD 3038 together with Sibelius Symphony No. 5) - very good and definitely (north-)Scandinavian as @FLTWS writes. But I have to add the - in my view - most south-Scandinavian composer is Carl Nielsen. Inspired by Sibelius I today dug out the tone poem "Saga Drøm" ("Saga Dream" or "The Dream of Gunnar") by Carl Nielsen (written 1908) - with the New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by one of my favorite Nielsen and Mahler conductors Jascha Horenstein (on LP Unicorn Records RHS300, together with Nielsens Symphony No.5).
Hearing these two very Scandinavian, and very different tone poems is interesting in their likenesses and contrasts. In a way you could say that Sibelius builds in stone and wast horizons - maybe monumentally like Bruckner - while Nielsen builds in contrasts, blending woodwinds with their own motives into the main orchestral lines - a bit more surrealistic like Mahler?

Lots of great stuff here:L3000:
I've always enjoyed Neilsen's symphonies. His 2nd, "The Four Temperaments" is a favorite of mine. The 3rd movement "Melancholic" especially.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #123,249 of 149,446
A transformer story, as a bonus it is made in "The Americas." I'm sorry that I could not get a picture. I was in rural Cuba and a man was wheeling an arc welder down the street. Picture those cardboard and plywood spools that bulk wire is shipped on. Someone had wrapped one in large diameter wire to create the transformer for an arc welder. Actually the transformer was the welder. I could not see if it had a "core", I saw it out of a car as we drove past. But it had two cables connecting to a ground clamp and a stick holder.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #123,250 of 149,446
That would be great!

Full disclosure, I just received my Allo miniBoss Player Plus in acrylic case (haven't turned it on yet).
(A) it's hideous
(B) it's huge - like the size of a 2 Mac minis, side by side.

(looking to see if it fits under the furniture....)
The whole reason I’m doing this from my perspective is how ugly the acrylic case is for pi/pi2aes lite. I had also considered buying a low profile computer case that looks like an AV component and just shoving all the stuff in it.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #123,251 of 149,446
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #123,252 of 149,446
Thank you for introducing a word new to me! I have a fairly good vocabulary, but that's the first time I've encountered cromulant.

(Ha, ha, auto correct too: it keeps trying to turn it into stimulant lol)

Cheers!
That's like a word @ArmchairPhilosopher would use. The guys command of the English language is amazing. Always enjoy reading his posts. So well written.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #123,253 of 149,446
The whole reason I’m doing this from my perspective is how ugly the acrylic case is for pi/pi2aes lite. I had also considered buying a low profile computer case that looks like an AV component and just shoving all the stuff in it.
I felt the same about the Allo Digione acrylic case - I ended up getting a HighPi Pro case with universal port and modifying the opening to fit the connectors.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #123,254 of 149,446
...wanting to add more talking (arguing? BS-ing? shoot the Schiiting? Meh...) content to the channel...

This appears to be another example of audio nervosa (cute phrase... getting more accurate as I age). It's possible that I will indeed be happy with what I have and just go with it.
...at least until the next shiny bauble offered by Schiit Audio burbles to the surface! An all digital URD-like multiport (5-6 USB inputs)... if it's ever offered... will be the death of me. :ksc75smile:

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #123,255 of 149,446
Colt 45 was marketed heavily here in the UK back in the mid '70s.

I did get through a few cans as a teenager, but then learned about 'real ale' on draught and after that there was no going back.

I never buy any canned beer now; if I want beer at home I only buy bottles as it seems to taste so much better.

It is no substitute for a perfect pint of draught beer in a great pub though.
For me? It was this middle-of-the-road product... produced in British Columbia. O'Keefe's Extra Old Stock.
1980-era beer.jpg

...yeesh. It might even make a comback here North of the border. Nope. Not for me. :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back