Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #123,256 of 151,165
I recently switched to Schiit equipment and want to share my experience with everyone. My previous setup consisted of Vienna Acoustics Model S-1 speakers (6 ohms, 89dB), a Rebelamp headphone amplifier/preamp, and a Luxman LXA-OT1 (a 5W Class D amplifier included with a Japanese audio magazine). I later upgraded to a Luxman LXA-OT4 Class D amplifier (20w+20w, 8-4 ohms). My DAC was the MyST 1866 OCBU (AD 1866) which I used purely as a DAC, and I had a Meridian 500 CD transport as well.

The reason for the upgrade was that I felt my DAC was struggling, as it relied on an internal battery and could only last about an hour when connected to the CD player. Also, I wanted a preamp with multiple inputs and outputs, so I decided to upgrade my system.

Considering the limited space on my desk, I chose Schiit products as they seemed suitable for me. I purchased the Saga+ preamp, Bifrost 2/64 DAC, GJALLARHORN amp. I also ordered custom speaker cables from BJC.

I’ve been using Saga+ and Bifrost for a few days now, and today I received the BJC speaker cables and set everything up. After listening for about 1hr in my 3m x 3m x 3.3m listening room, I found that the Saga+ volume knob only needed to be turned to 1 o’clock position to produce loud sound, which might disturb my neighbors. The sound was best at around 11-12 o’clock position, and overall, the listening experience was delightful with realistic sound, great bass, and sweet midrange.

Interestingly, during the brief listening session, I noticed that the Bifrost had the highest temperature, the GJALLARHORN and Saga+ (all just slightly warm). I must mention that the BJC speaker cables have great craftsmanship and a reasonable price.

As for the Rebelamp, I’m still figuring out how to arrange it on my small desk. This upgrade has been significant for me, and I’m grateful for the articles here that helped me make my decision. Very happy now.

PXL_20230731_043454092.PORTRAIT-01.jpegPXL_20230731_043708136.PORTRAIT-01.jpegPXL_20230731_044125454.PORTRAIT~2-01.jpeg
Holy hell. This is a nice set up. Welcome to the club, eh. Re: heat generation. I still find it a bit unnerving about how thermal dissapation is designed into the Schiit products (i.e., the chasis acts like a heat sink). I know -- it's the result of thoughtful component selection and design. I doubt I will ever get over the "electronics = heat = bad" fear. Ah well...

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #123,257 of 151,165
Here in the Pacific Northwest we're partial to "Vitamin R":

I never EVER get tired of that ad. It's right up there with the Ivars Seafood ads from Seattle (with the stop-action-motion clams). Their 2019 presence.
But from the 1980s... THIS. THIS IS MY CHILDHOOD!

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #123,258 of 151,165
Hello all you wonderful Schiitheads,
I am dipping my toes into the Schiity water, and actually posting something for (I think) the first time on here.
I'm a long time reader and fan of this forum, and of Schiit products. I haven't so far post
I am one of the few lucky UK Schiitheads to have snagged an URD, which I picked up this morning. I'm glad I did, as I think it will be a while until they produce another batch.
@dstrimbu .... A question:
I have an Yggy OG A2 Unison and have yet to acquire a USB C to USB B cable. You mentioned that you swapped yours and all is good now. Could I ask which cable you are now using please?
I am purely CD (several thousand, mainly classical... far too many I think!), and I don't think I'll ever need to go down into the streaming rabbit hole.
Welcome to the channel, @Headcase88 ... I find cable selection a STRANGE and occasionally DIVISIVE topic. If you ever do decide to do the streaming thing, this site has reasonably balanced content.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #123,260 of 151,165
I wanna share that I won a minty Lyr 2 on eBay last night, and I'm very stocked. My OG Asgard is currently being fixed by Schiit, so August is gonna be a very nice month of musical enjoyment! :relieved:
A Lyr2 ?! Nice. It's a solid device. I'm also pleased their depot will repair the original Asgard.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #123,261 of 151,165
Been debating if I should pickup a Multibit dac. I have been eyeing the Bifrost, used or the new 2/64. Haven’t committed but now that you mention it, might add the MM2 to my potential list.
{{{Welcome to the channel, @buckit }}}} ... if you have the funds, multibit is a fun thing to toy around with. My vote...

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #123,262 of 151,165
A transformer story, as a bonus it is made in "The Americas." I'm sorry that I could not get a picture. I was in rural Cuba and a man was wheeling an arc welder down the street. Picture those cardboard and plywood spools that bulk wire is shipped on. Someone had wrapped one in large diameter wire to create the transformer for an arc welder. Actually the transformer was the welder. I could not see if it had a "core", I saw it out of a car as we drove past. But it had two cables connecting to a ground clamp and a stick holder.
Necessity, the mother of invention. Or in this case the mother of MacGyvering. :)

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #123,263 of 151,165
Well my Bifrost 2 is headed back to the Mothership today because nothing I could do would bring it back to life :frowning2:
Silver lining - I assume the fix (if it's the DAC/Output card as I suspect) will end me up with the 2/64 version.
My BifrostMB keeps chugging along. @Timster ... when the DAC was about to fail ... did it have any symptoms? {{{not trying to be an a-hole... EVERYTHING fails eventually}}}.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #123,264 of 151,165
Hello all you wonderful Schiitheads,
I am dipping my toes into the Schiity water, and actually posting something for (I think) the first time on here.
I'm a long time reader and fan of this forum, and of Schiit products. I haven't so far post
I am one of the few lucky UK Schiitheads to have snagged an URD, which I picked up this morning. I'm glad I did, as I think it will be a while until they produce another batch.
@dstrimbu .... A question:
I have an Yggy OG A2 Unison and have yet to acquire a USB C to USB B cable. You mentioned that you swapped yours and all is good now. Could I ask which cable you are now using please?
I am purely CD (several thousand, mainly classical... far too many I think!), and I don't think I'll ever need to go down into the streaming rabbit hole.
Welcome to the forum @Headcase88 :relaxed:

I assume you got your Urd from Mark Dolbear at Electromod. He is a great guy to deal with.
I bought my original Yggy from him.

As you are already used to the 'inconvenience' of playing physical CDs, and already have several thousand, I can't see why you would need to go down the streaming route.

I started streaming several years ago- both ripped CDs from networked hard drive and from Qobuz.

The convenience is undeniably attractive and the sound quality can be excellent.

However, about 18 months ago, I bought a CD Transport and started playing my physical CDs again.
I have a fairly modest collection of around 1,200, which is growing weekly...

I missed the boat with the Urd and bought a Jay's Audio CDT2- Mk3.

In my experience, whilst Qobuz and ripped CDs can run a physical CD pretty close, if I want the 'best' sound quality, I get up out of my chair and play CDs!
Mike Moffat was right; CDs remain the best way to enjoy digital recordings.

Your Urd/ Yggy OG A2 combo will be fantastic.

Enjoy !:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #123,265 of 151,165
Simple elegance:

1691507214816.png
Testing new NOS Raytheon 6CG7....Superb with RossonDesigns Rad 0 cans...
Gordon Goodwins "BIG Phat BAND XXL" is really a good listen!!
Dynamic Range +....

1691592312769.png

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #123,266 of 151,165
OMG, Cannibal Corpse...! We pressed tons of those CD's at Nimbus Records...! If you have a disc handy, check to see if the center has "Mastered By Nimbus" etched on it?

Thanks for the reminder...!
My neighbour hauled out the speakers onto the porch and spun this up!
July 27 2023 out-there vinyl.jpg

...{{{edited}}}... Paladin Charge!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #123,267 of 151,165
Been debating if I should pickup a Multibit dac. I have been eyeing the Bifrost, used or the new 2/64. Haven’t committed but now that you mention it, might add the MM2 to my potential list.
Multibit is quite a bit different in presentation compared to delta/sigma ie ess sabre dacs and suchlike - I don't dislike delta/sigma - far from it but to me there is something contrived about d/s dacs and the music is reproduced well - but lacks something - something I cant quite put my finger on !! I think its a timing/temporal thing TBH

Multibit however sound very dynamic and alive , as a result of this are they are brilliant for live music !! and give your studio music a bit of immediacy that I feel is often lacking

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #123,268 of 151,165
Exactly how I would characterize D/S vs Multibit with all my music exposure.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #123,269 of 151,165
Testing new NOS Raytheon 6CG7....Superb with RossonDesigns Rad 0 cans...
Gordon Goodwins "BIG Phat BAND XXL" is really a good listen!!
Dynamic Range +....

1691592312769.png
Try some music with a nice distorted guitar, oh my goodness! @AstronomerXI suggested Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Ramada Inn. And I was blown away

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #123,270 of 151,165
FWIW, I'm about to list my MM2 on the classifieds here, maybe next week. Moving up to Bifrost 2. pm me if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back