Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #122,281 of 150,619
You haven't lived until you've crammed all the music you love onto a single CD in 96kbps MP3 and pressed shuffle on that. The music blends into a seamless (slightly sub-optimal) experience. Bonus points if half the metadata is just wrong.
Fortunately, I haven't "lived" like that in 25 years.

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #122,282 of 150,619
I guess if I nit picked my Urd’s tray is slightly higher in the slot. How would they fix this? Especially if it’s working correctly anyways. I don’t think I’d be willing to send it back for such a silly reason. To each their own I guess. Maybe it’s because I play guitar and own some amazing ones that came with little flaws but sounded and played so well that I just didn’t care. The Urd has been so brilliant so far that unless it stops functioning, I’m not letting it out of my chain!

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #122,283 of 150,619
I guess if I nit picked my Urd’s tray is slightly higher in the slot. How would they fix this? Especially if it’s working correctly anyways. I don’t think I’d be willing to send it back for such a silly reason. To each their own I guess. Maybe it’s because I play guitar and own some amazing ones that came with little flaws but sounded and played so well that I just didn’t care. The Urd has been so brilliant so far that unless it stops functioning, I’m not letting it out of my chain!
1690327576567.png

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #122,284 of 150,619
aesthetics matter. trays should be square. my overall impression of the Urd was that its well built, good fit and finish. it feels substantial. jason was clear that they didnt leave the factory looking like that. and some of the people saying they dont mind it dont have an Urd. also, if it were on a low shelf i might have lived with it, but sitting on the top of my rack the misalignment is super obvious and less dramatic in pictures than in real life.

i

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #122,285 of 150,619
...my favorite being GoGo Penguins latest release and it sounded great
Thanks for including the comment about GoGo Penguin in the Urd write up. Never heard of them and just tracked thru the album you mentioned - great stuff! I Added their other releases to my listening queue.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #122,287 of 150,619
aesthetics matter. trays should be square. my overall impression of the Urd was that its well built, good fit and finish. it feels substantial. jason was clear that they didnt leave the factory looking like that. and some of the people saying they dont mind it dont have an Urd. also, if it were on a low shelf i might have lived with it, but sitting on the top of my rack the misalignment is super obvious and less dramatic in pictures than in real life.

i
If you're expecting 100%, micron accuracy--no. Yours was whomper-jawed, but the last photo posted here is probably acceptable.

Bonus fun fact: it will look misaligned at any angle other than straight on. This is the optical reality of every product.

Sorry to be a realist, but consider the tolerance stack of bottom metal, powder coat, top metal, front subchassis, front tray cover, and drive (by far the biggest variance, and we have 0% control over that). We've designed in wiggle room on the bottom chassis for drive alignment (hence the different screws for the drive). That was what I was wondering if it was shifting when shipping, or if the bottom chassis was actually deforming from "throwers" at the shipping companies. Looks like there's a small issue with that, which we are working on correcting. We had a big meeting on this today and the reality is we can get them "very good" but not perfect. Hopefully that's enough.

But absolute perfection? Ah, no. Again. Sorry. Happy to take it back and try another shot at it, or refund all.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #122,289 of 150,619
me neither and if i could, more 'sexy' options/brands are available, a pick SOL for example :)

I like the designs of the Michell Orbe SE
I've always like the designs of the Michell turntables. The more affordable mycro and syncro tables come up for sale
on occasion, but are usually quickly snapped up by knowledgeable hobbyists.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #122,290 of 150,619
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #122,291 of 150,619
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #122,292 of 150,619
Thanks for including the comment about GoGo Penguin in the Urd write up. Never heard of them and just tracked thru the album you mentioned - great stuff! I Added their other releases to my listening queue.

Check out the Tiny Desk GoGo Penguin's concert. One of my favorites...!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #122,293 of 150,619
Are you also pushing the MJ3 like @ArmchairPhilosopher ?! 'Cause it sounds like you want me to get an MJ3 with the Unison upgrade ... :wink:
I’m not in the trusted tester club! So I have no idea what MJ3 sounds like. I’d be surprised if I let go of my MJ2 or Folkvangr in favor of anything new. From reading alone, seems to me MJ3 is going to be the solid state sonic sibling of the Folkvangr (but a lot more efficient and convenient). So we’ll see.

Of the current lineup I am a big promoter of Jotunheim 2. I think if you do that and a Bifrost you’ll be very, very happy. That’s the rig I have at work, with DCA Æon Noire (so I felt validated by the recent combo, heh - remember, it was not until early this year that DCA added Jotunheim to their list of recommended amps). Nothing against the MB card for Jotunheim, just saying… Bifrost 2/64 may very well be 10x better than you’d think, it’s just not as discussed as other DACs.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #122,294 of 150,619

Users who are viewing this thread

Back