Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #121,727 of 152,885
Sorry, but if you didn't get out much, you'd most definitely know what show that was from. 🤪
1689629510583.gif

Jul 17, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #121,729 of 152,885
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #121,730 of 152,885
Definitely better sonically. Everything got an upgrade. Better detail throughout highs and lows. Sound stage is more precise and vocals are more natural sounding. Everything got more space around it as well. It’s a quieter machine and I sense the noise floor was improved as well.

Keep in mind I’m not A-Bing it and do not plan to. The Cambridge feels like a toy compared the Urd (and I really enjoyed that transport- it was a huge sonic upgrade over a blu ray player)z

How directional is the IR remote? How responsive are the controls? Skip track, FF, Stop, etc.?

What about cosmetics? Centering of the ovalized tray cover on the front plate - gaps all around?

Jul 17, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #121,731 of 152,885
Well FedEx brought the URD today and the Freya S is happy...so am I :sunglasses:. Unboxing it I was surprised how solid and dense it felt for such a sleek unit. Breaking it in with Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Vol. 2. The transport controls are quick acting and it is sounding great. I have not done a compare with the 6000CDT yet and I have not hooked up my iPad to one of the USB-C inputs to try yet. Very impressed during this early phase. Cheers

URD Freya S IMG_7287.jpeg

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #121,732 of 152,885
No, Sturgeon class. Parche, SSN-683
And Google retreives this:

"The USS Parche—pronounced Par-chee—remains the U.S. Navy's most decorated vessel ever in American service. The USS Parche, commissioned in 1974, originally began life as a Sturgeon-class nuclear-powered fast attack submarine."

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #121,733 of 152,885
Well FedEx brought the URD today and the Freya S is happy...so am I :sunglasses:. Unboxing it I was surprised how solid and dense it felt for such a sleek unit. Breaking it in with Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Vol. 2. The transport controls are quick acting and it is sounding great. I have not done a compare with the 6000CDT yet and I have not hooked up my iPad to one of the USB-C inputs to try yet. Very impressed during this early phase. Cheers

Purdy!

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #121,734 of 152,885
If anyone is seriously looking for a Mac mini I have one that will be for sale soon.......
I have seriously thought of adding one as part of my shop system, PM me with details and remember I am a poor retired person who gets by selling cardboard to @bcowen. :ksc75smile:

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #121,735 of 152,885
I have seriously thought of adding one as part of my shop system, PM me with details and remember I am a poor retired person who gets by selling cardboard to @bcowen. :ksc75smile:

That's gotta be a lucrative gig!

:beerchug:
JC

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #121,736 of 152,885
That's gotta be a lucrative gig!

:beerchug:
JC
True, but it is a lot of work transforming it into furniture for him. I believe he wants a hot tub next. :ksc75smile:

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #121,738 of 152,885
The Cambridge CXC is wonderful in this kit; however Urd will replace it at some point. GAS for sure.
Thinking about the Mjolnir 3, balanced splitter cables and a taller stack of Schiit :)

Mjolnir 2 was toasty hot as it was switched off. Hard working it was.

My mood, my ears, my kit and YMMV.

Enjoy the Schiit N Music
Be interested in your thoughts if/when you make the switch. I have a CXC in the big rig connected via S/PDIF, and wondering what kind of improvement the Urd might bring to the table. Honestly I didn't think a transport would make a big difference, but prior to the CXC I was using the digital output from an old AES CD player (Philips player with a modified tube analog stage), and the improvement was quite noticeable.

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #121,739 of 152,885

It's very pretty, and impressive in features and design. I don't spin CDs anymore (although I still have my collection, in wallets), so have no need of it - but I want one anyway.

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #121,740 of 152,885
Urd Update: ....

Added bonus was that a CD that wasn’t not working on my Cambridge now works on the Urd. It’s exactly what I had hoped it would be and I couldn’t be happier with it!
I'm appreciating all the Urd impressions, but this observation in particular was relevant to me. I have many, many CD-Rs of CD rips and live shows, and some don't play on my Marantz changer. I was never clear what determined the failure. Could be the type of material in the CD? Could be the menu creation (different apps were used to burn over the years). And, to confuse things, every one that has failed in the Marantz has played fine in the players in my car and truck. I'm definitely curious whether the Urd is slightly picky, like my Marantz, or seems to play anything, like my automotive units. Randolf's anecdotal report is enouraging, thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back