Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #121,741 of 155,117
I use those digital out Hats all over my house but that was not what the original poster asked for.
Hifiberry are my faves, specifically the Digi + Pro. I have a zero and the amp you talked about, just need the time to play with it!

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #121,742 of 155,117
I'm appreciating all the Urd impressions, but this observation in particular was relevant to me. I have many, many CD-Rs of CD rips and live shows, and some don't play on my Marantz changer. I was never clear what determined the failure. Could be the type of material in the CD? Could be the menu creation (different apps were used to burn over the years). And, to confuse things, every one that has failed in the Marantz has played fine in the players in my car and truck. I'm definitely curious whether the Urd is slightly picky, like my Marantz, or seems to play anything, like my automotive units. Randolf's andedoctal report is enouraging, thank you!
The pre-production Urd I had played CDRs and the CD layer of SACDs.

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #121,743 of 155,117
And Google retreives this:

"The USS Parche—pronounced Par-chee—remains the U.S. Navy's most decorated vessel ever in American service. The USS Parche, commissioned in 1974, originally began life as a Sturgeon-class nuclear-powered fast attack submarine."
That’s why among other things I can wear 4 Presidential Unit Citations that I helped earn. :) The ship earned 9 total.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #121,745 of 155,117
I've been doing a similar thing for about six years! Tiny with very little heat. However, I am beginning to wonder how much longer that itsy-bitsy fan will last.

I still have a Touch and my trusty Transporter in use. Still have a controller from a Duet working with the Transporter. I like the physical buttons!

Fortunately the community has kept it going. It's been running great. Way back in the beginning there were a lot of hiccups.

Also have a couple Pi endpoints for Roon. No problems there.Without starting a debate Roon doesn't necessarily sound better on the same material, just more flexible, modern, they do all the work, and funner! .......until something else comes along. Not free though.:)
Fair, that. With the consistent freeware updates, everything (on bog-standard hardware), is easy, cheap, reliable and fun (for me). I kinda like tagging discs, and THE HUNT for good discs at great prices is fun as well. I think of my (our) systems as having manual gearboxes vs. automatics 😜. And that server box is intranet only, which is another plus. Might just add Urd to actually play discs for a change, too…

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #121,746 of 155,117
I'm appreciating all the Urd impressions, but this observation in particular was relevant to me. I have many, many CD-Rs of CD rips and live shows, and some don't play on my Marantz changer. I was never clear what determined the failure. Could be the type of material in the CD? Could be the menu creation (different apps were used to burn over the years). And, to confuse things, every one that has failed in the Marantz has played fine in the players in my car and truck. I'm definitely curious whether the Urd is slightly picky, like my Marantz, or seems to play anything, like my automotive units. Randolf's andedoctal report is enouraging, thank you!
Once FedEx gets around to delivering my URD I have many a CD-r to test out, and I'll share my observations. :smile_cat:

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #121,749 of 155,117
Wowza. I thought my 3 PUCs and the Battle E twice was was pretty good, congratulations on serving with such a schiit hot crew!
Congrats to you as well!

Yea after they decommissioned Parche they planted her sail in a park at Puget Sound shipyard. The various unit awards are painted on the side, which may not mean much to non-Navy people... :)

ParcheSail.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #121,750 of 155,117
I have seriously thought of adding one as part of my shop system, PM me with details and remember I am a poor retired person who gets by selling cardboard to @bcowen. :ksc75smile:
Hey I'm a retired person who has to sell this stuff to survive!!

I'll PM you tomorrow.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #121,751 of 155,117
Congrats to you as well!

Yea after they decommissioned Parche they planted her sail in a park at Puget Sound shipyard. The various unit awards are painted on the side, which may not mean much to non-Navy people... :)

ParcheSail.jpg
Holy smokes she definitely has an impressive record. Somehow I think her skis ought be in the monument.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #121,752 of 155,117
Holy smokes she definitely has an impressive record. Somehow I think her skis ought be in the monument.
I do remember we had a couple of Polish guys on board back in the day...

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #121,753 of 155,117
And just to close the loop since you guys got me thinking about the Navy days, here was my other boat, Seawolf SSN-575 tied up along the pier in Mare Island...

Seawolf 575.jpg

Now back to cats, BBQ, homemade amps and Schiit-talk.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #121,754 of 155,117
Hey I'm a retired person who has to sell this stuff to survive!!

I'll PM you tomorrow.
Sounds good! Worst comes to worst I will cash in my shares of Cowen Esq. they are worth their weight in cardboard.🤪

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #121,755 of 155,117
I have seriously thought of adding one as part of my shop system, PM me with details and remember I am a poor retired person who gets by selling cardboard to @bcowen. :ksc75smile:
…cardboard—>bcowen == coal—>newcastle 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back