Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #121,771 of 155,165
@CAPT Deadpool Thanks for the tip. DLd Blind Man’s Bluff to read on my flight from EWR-DFW this afternoon. (as a passenger, for those who just raised an eyebrow)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #121,772 of 155,165
And just to close the loop since you guys got me thinking about the Navy days, here was my other boat, Seawolf SSN-575 tied up along the pier in Mare Island...

Now back to cats, BBQ, homemade amps and Schiit-talk.

While I didn't serve aboard her, I did get to tour the U.S.S. Torsk, at the Baltimore Harbor. Very enlightening, and very cramped inside...! I truly don't know how it accommodated 80 sailors at once...!!! 🤪

Thank you for your service...!

USS_Torsk_in_Baltimore.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #121,773 of 155,165
The Eversolo DMP-A6 is a $50 computer running on a somewhat customized fork of Android 11 in a $900 box.

About a year or two from now it'll still work just fine, but it will also have ripped multiple barn door sized holes into your home's firewall because you can bet your butt that it won't receive any regular updates to fix all the security issues that are present in all general purpose operating systems of this complexity and that will inevitably be discovered and actively exploited in the months and years to come.

There will also be new streaming services you want to use, new and "better sounding" AirPlay and BT audio iterations your phone or tablet (and that phone or tablet's manufacturer's marketing department) will want you switch to, and changed APIs your favorite streaming service will require for continued use. Not a problem, of course, as long as there are constant updates being released that you'll have to stay on top of without accidentally bricking your box. If the manufacturer even bothers to provide those updates, that is. Which they usually don't, because all their resources are already focused on the development of that $1,200 box that you will replace this $900 box with in two to three years.

If you think that's overly pessimistic and hyperbole, just think about the fact that the OS this box runs on is already more than two and a half years old by the time this box came to market. And we all know how "dedicated" even the biggest Android phone manufacturers are at keeping up continued support for their own Android forks, so you can imagine what this will look like when dealing with the niche subsidiary of an already relatively small company that's not exactly known for stellar software quality.

I'm not speaking for Schiit, of course, but I would be entirely comfortable to bet my Folkvangr on the fact that it's not a lack of skilled and experienced resources that keeps Schiit from making such a product (reasonably capable Android developers are a dime a dozen, there are plenty of cost-effective off-the-shelf SOCs to build a streamer around, like the A55 this one is based on, and the people at Schiit have decades of experience designing and manufacturing digital circuitry), but the simple fact that such a box is not a product that could, by its very nature, ever live up to the standards of ease of use and longevity that Schiit applies to their own product line.
I've been hoping to see Schiit produce a streamer, but you just laid out a very convincing argument for them not to do so. I'll stick with my Node.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #121,774 of 155,165
@CAPT Deadpool Thanks for the tip. DLd Blind Man’s Bluff to read on my flight from EWR-DFW this afternoon. (as a passenger, for those who just raised an eyebrow)
No worries, we're all familiar with the key principle of Navigate, Aviate, Communicate, Perusal…ate. 😁

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #121,775 of 155,165
Blind Man’s Bluff
There are names in that book of people I served with, there are things in that book described fairly accurately, and there are things in that book that are fiction. But I can neither confirm nor deny which are which. :)

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #121,776 of 155,165
For those that are intrigued by the Parche I'd recommend reading Blind Man's Bluff https://a.co/d/9Zm60RL How this ever got to publishing without violating NDAs et cetera IDK. I've read it several times and plan to again soon. It is an excellent read.
That book led to several NSA investigations for violating the espionage act. People I know were interviewed by the FBI about how certain things (that remain classified to this day nearly 50 years later) were revealed. The last time I heard, the "official" Navy Special Operations Command position is this book is fiction.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #121,777 of 155,165
That book led to several NSA investigations for violating the espionage act. People I know were interviewed by the FBI about how certain things (that remain classified to this day nearly 50 years later) were revealed. The last time I heard, the "official" Navy Special Operations Command position is this book is fiction.

:ksc75smile:

JC

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #121,780 of 155,165
Time to make my way through dad's MoFi collection :)

Attachments

• IMG_4801.jpeg
    IMG_4801.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4802.jpeg
    IMG_4802.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #121,782 of 155,165
Hifiberry are my faves, specifically the Digi + Pro. I have a zero and the amp you talked about, just need the time to play with it!
Pi2AES is a significant upgrade over the Digi Pro. I am replacing my units slowly, starting with my most used systems

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #121,785 of 155,165
Please stop that.
It is sooooo condescending.
I think almost 100% of military personnel hate it when someone says that.

Due to medical reasons (sleep apnea, flat feet, color blindness), I could never serve. But, between my father, brothers (one a Full Colonel), and nephews, my family saw service during WWII D-DAY, aboard aircraft carriers, and during desert warfare. So, when I state "thank you for your service", I never meant it as a slight. I don't understand why you perceived it as such...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back