Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #121,801 of 155,096
In the 70’s when I traveled in uniform I got lots of freebies from people (unsolicited mind you, “I don’t want your money”) and flight upgrades. I cringe at the phrase myself as it’s overly used by folks who’s actions don’t match their words, but as others stated, just say thanks and move on.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #121,802 of 155,096
In the 70’s when I traveled in uniform I got lots of freebies from people (unsolicited mind you, “I don’t want your money”) and flight upgrades. I cringe at the phrase myself as it’s overly used by folks who’s actions don’t match their words, but as others stated, just say thanks and move on.
In the '70's I used to HOPE for freebies since they paid us crap money back then. :)

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #121,803 of 155,096
I didn't start hearing thank you for your service until after 9/11. When I'm thanked, I usually say thanks back. I was a young guy making a lot of bad decisions. The military pulled my head out of my butt pretty quickly. For that I'm grateful. It set the tone for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #121,804 of 155,096
As a vet I wouldn’t say I hate it. I appreciate the sentiment. I never thought of it as condescending. As a slightly neurodivergent pedant I used to struggle with a response. “You’re welcome” never felt like an appropriate response yet that has become my go to.
It needs no response. You earned it!

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #121,805 of 155,096
The military pulled my head out of my butt pretty quickly. For that I'm grateful. It set the tone for the rest of my life.
Same here. I don't even use my ID anymore (for discounts, etc.). I was paid while I was in service to my country. I appreciate people thanking me, but it's not necessary. Just enjoy the freedom our service members are protecting.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #121,807 of 155,096
I‘m not sure how other countries do it but the US is all voluntary so that may be part of the difference.

For sure. Europe expects American soldiers to clean up their messes. And this comes from a guy born in Europe, but long aligned with America, its principles of personal responsibility and its Freedom.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #121,811 of 155,096
For sure. Europe expects American soldiers to clean up their messes. And this comes from a guy born in Europe, but long aligned with America, its principles of personal responsibility and its Freedom.
I would like to discuss my opposition to your judgement very much elsewhere. In this case I see it as rather out of place.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #121,813 of 155,096
Jul 18, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #121,814 of 155,096
O...... M....... G

Jul 18, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #121,815 of 155,096
Personally, as an Army Vet I take it positively unless I can tell it is said sarcastically.

to add bit (I ran this by a fellow Headfier first)

The Family Guy show had a good point. IIRC Peter saw a car with a Yellow Ribbon support the troops bumper sticker on it. He said, "It's the least you could do, the LEAST."

I have noticed that when I come back from the field stateside, or deployments/trips overseas that I have a very strong aversion to anyone showing prominent signs of affluenza paired with false patriotism. To put it a different way, I didn't have bone spurs when I joined the Army. Now I have bones spurs (among many other aches and pains) acquired from exercise/PT injuries and general wear and tear from the Army life.

One of Heinlein's character's (Dubois) in Starship Troopers explained why Earth's Government had limited the Francise to those who served (not necessarily in the military) as it was a demonstration of that person's willingness to put the needs of humanity (or a nation's people) ahead of their own personal needs to include, if necessary, their life. I personally think all residents in a country should be able to vote, but voters in selecting leaders to vote for should consider if that person has demonstrated the ability to put the needs of others ahead of their own. Indicators could be Charity work, Peace Corps, veteran, Eagle Scout/Gold Award, etc. As said in the Children of Dune:

“Good governance never depends upon laws, but upon the personal qualities of those who govern. The machinery of government is always subordinate to the will of those who administer that machinery. The most important element of government, therefore, is the method of choosing leaders.”

//End rant

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back