Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #121,831 of 155,086
True, but it is a lot of work transforming it into furniture for him. I believe he wants a hot tub next. :ksc75smile:
Actually, with all this submarine talk...... 🤣 🤣

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #121,832 of 155,086
Initial physical URD impressions for some of the previous questions asked. Plenty responsive to commands - no real delays. Quick input/output switching. Possibly improved side IR range based on how it sits in a channel. Tray nicely centered and squared. Simple, clear display is easily read at a glance. My only minor quip so far would be my fat fingers hit the tray guide rails when taking a cd out by its sides. But that's my problem. Oh yeah, sounds great too. URD - "They're real, and they're spectacular"

Glad you're enjoying the URD! It really is a well thought out device that has its own niche. Also enjoyed your Seinfeld reference. 😊

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #121,833 of 155,086
Tom and Dewey checking in. They're saying Go Phils!
IMG_0161.JPG
The Queen sends her regards. :laughing:

Cookie Again.jpg

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #121,836 of 155,086
Cat pictures? Here?
It will sidetrack our cat from her filing duties! :)
IMG_20230707_212517058~2.jpg

IMG_20230707_212625773~2.jpg

She needs to prepare a file for MJ3. Cheers!

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #121,837 of 155,086
While I didn't serve aboard her, I did get to tour the U.S.S. Torsk, at the Baltimore Harbor. Very enlightening, and very cramped inside...! I truly don't know how it accommodated 80 sailors at once...!!! 🤪

Thank you for your service...!

USS_Torsk_in_Baltimore.jpg
This was my dad‘s boat! How a 6’3 man was even approved to serve on this thing is a mystery. Also toured this in Baltimore; I never hit his height but even I had to crane my head to fit in a bunk. Found his line-crossing Trusty Shellback card and other mementos going through his things after he passed and put together a little display to remember him, he always spoke fondly of his time on the Torsk.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #121,838 of 155,086
This was my dad‘s boat! How a 6’3 man was even approved to serve on this thing is a mystery. Also toured this in Baltimore; I never hit his height but even I had to crane my head to fit in a bunk. Found his line-crossing Trusty Shellback card and other mementos going through his things after he passed and put together a little display to remember him, he always spoke fondly of his time on the Torsk.

Awesome. A fun tour to go on. Especially since the tour guide was a former crewman of the Torsk.

Plus, the Navy wanted me for a nuclear tech aboard a sub. But, it was a 6 year hitch. Still, I didn't think my color vision issues, would have worked out, when dealing with nuclear energy...! :laughing:

explosion.gif

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #121,839 of 155,086
URD- Initial Impressions

Short version: Holy Schiit!

Pedantic version: Taking Urd out of the shipping box I was struck by the solidity of this piece, as others have already noted this has the feel of a serious piece of kit. The design is clean and simple, connecting to Yggy took almost no time, and away we go!

I am running Unison to Unison, when I have more time I'll compare that to SPDIF via coax. I was forced to read the instructions to discover that Urd will only output a USB or SPDIF signal, not both at once. Now I have signal through to Yggy and sound. Sound! I am stepping up from an Oppo BDP-93, and older universal disc player and so I anticipated improvement out-of-the-box and Urd doid not disappoint. Yet as I listen, and perhaps electronics reach operating temperature, cables relax again and so forth, the details are in the details. Some folks may remember the term "Moffat Bass" from the early days of multi-bit DAC's, well Urd also delivers Moffat bass to the point where I may need to trim back my subs just a touch.

Listening to Jewel- Spirit; Cassandra Wilson Travelin' Miles; The Grateful Dead (@dhcarquinez - Urd plays CD-R's just fine!), and more to come.

Oh, the metal tray is the perfect call, thank you Jason. Elegance and solidity. Everything about this unit speaks to thoughtful design and execution. Nothing excessive and flashy, just straightforward functionality. Here's an example- put a disc in the tray and it the "Play" button, the tray slides back in, the disc is read, and music starts playing. simple and precise.

Did I mention the sound? It keeps getting better as I listen to more CD's (the music I already own). Now on Jonathan Wilson's Gentle Spirit, another very well recorded and produced album of fine music, and the sonics are more delightful than ever before.

Enough for now, you get the idea. I may have more to say over time. Well, there is this- if you own CD's and want a source machine to connect to your DAC the Urd is a worthy choice.

IMG_3311.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #121,840 of 155,086
Define cheap.

You can put Rpi and soundboard option together for less than $100.
I took a look and seems the cheapest options require soldering skills. Don't have the tools, skills or inclination.

Just want a Roon endpoint to power my CA Minx 10 that is about the same size as the Minx....

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #121,841 of 155,086
They were my favorite Doctors of the most recent series. Definitely worth watching. I tuned out after Matt Smith left the show.
I can't decide between Baker/Leela, Smith/Amy, Tennant/Wilf as favs...

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #121,842 of 155,086
Hifiberry are my faves, specifically the Digi + Pro. I have a zero and the amp you talked about, just need the time to play with it!
And DAC? Make me one, please!

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #121,843 of 155,086
URD- Initial Impressions

Pedantic version: Taking Urd out of the shipping box I was struck by the solidity of this piece, as others have already noted this has the feel of a serious piece of kit. The design is clean and simple, connecting to Yggy took almost no time, and away we go!

I am running Unison to Unison, when I have more time I'll compare that to SPIDF via coax. I was forced to read the instructions to discover that Urd will only output a USB or SPDIF signal, not both at once. Now I have signal through to Yggy and sound. Sound! I am stepping up from an Oppo BDP-93, and older universal disc player and so I anticipated improvement out-of-the-box and Urd doid not disappoint. Yet as I listen, and perhaps electronics reach operating temperature, cables relax again and so forth, the details are in the details. Some folks may remember the term "Moffat Bass" from the early days of multi-bit DAC's, well Urd also delivers Moffat bass to the point where I may need to trim back my subs just a touch.

Listening to Jewel- Spirit; Cassandra Wilson Travelin' Miles; The Grateful Dead (@dhcarquinez - Urd plays CD-R's just fine!), and more to come.

Oh, the metal tray is the perfect call, thank you Jason. Elegance and solidity. Everything about this unit speaks to thoughtful design and execution. Nothing excessive and flashy, just straightforward functionality. Here's an example- put a disc in the tray and it the "Play" button, the tray slides back in, the disc is read, and music starts playing. simple and precise.

Did I mention the sound? It keeps getting better as I listen to more CD's (the music I already own). Now on Jonathan Wilson's Gentle Spirit, another very well recorded and produced album of fine music, and the sonics are more delightful than ever before.

Enough for now, you get the idea. I may have more to say over time. Well, there is this- if you own CD's and want a source machine to connect to your DAC the Urd is a worthy choice.

IMG_3311.jpeg
+1 Gentle Spirit!

Spotify snuck it on a Discovery Weekly playlist years ago... Bought the disc immediately.

Also saw him with Rodger Waters in Vancouver years ago.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #121,844 of 155,086
PXL_20230703_165145390.jpg

Dis someone mention "Queen"?

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #121,845 of 155,086
URD- Initial Impressions

Beautiful stack!

Way too big for me. I nixed the Yggy for its size. Guess I'll have to wait for the mini Urd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back