Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #121,261 of 152,752
My Jot 2 has started sweating with Mjolnir 3 on the near horizon. Excited to see it in it's final form!
As has mine. Perfect hot weather for introducing it, also. LOL!

I'll see if I can bring one to the Schiitrmeet tomorrow night. It will still be in unfinished metal, but at least it won't be a bare board!

We'll have Urd there as well, though I'm not sure about stocking the Schiitr yet. We should be shipping some tomorrow, but definitely nowhere near all the orders. We have a very lengthy QC process for this one, and I don't want to shortcut it. So please accept my apologies in advance if your shipment is delayed a few days. I'll post some in-process photos tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #121,262 of 152,752
Glad to hear that and that you are enjoying your Starlett. 😊

I demonstrated a prototype Starlett for a month back in December of 2021 and was able to try it with my dac's and headphones. Donald gives
the best audio audition in the business. In return, all he asks is that you pay to ship his amplifier to the next person on the list who has requested an audition.
Shipping was $65 from NY to CA. $65 to use a high quality $2000 headphone amplifier for a month is a bargain!

I didn't know Donald did this --- so cool. I do a more leap-of-faith process -- stumble on to something, read and research (but not hear). And then go for it. Have done this with every component and been amazed. Could be confirmation bias too.

Bringing it back to Schiit - I started my journey with Jotunheim, Vidar and Saga+, Bifrost, and Yggy. Ordered all before hearing anything. Not a single regret or return. All amazing products. My sons have permanently borrowed a lot of them.

Look forward to hearing how you like your Starlet.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #121,264 of 152,752
Indeed the hi and ground are swapped.
I'll have a look. Not sure of the provenance of that unit.

Edit: wrong color wires, correct connection. We'll swap to the standard.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 13, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #121,265 of 152,752
Anyone’s Urd shipping out today?
No but I would have thought ordering early in the morning that a notice would have been sent by now that the shipping order had been created...

Order #406610​

Cheers!

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #121,267 of 152,752
It works with 2 inputs--that's the test board we sent out, like, a billion years ago, to check the basic concept of USB hubbishness.

I wonder if more USB inputs would be better. Also SPDIF out. Probably could pull out data like sample rate, etc too. But then that's Jotunheim sized.
I completely selfishly would love a device with a few isolated USB inputs and a bunch of S/PDIF/AES/optical outputs. But I always have a stupid amount of equipment hooked up at the same time. I did once find a 75 Ohm BNC splitter for a reasonable price, but I hesitated buying it, and it's no longer available. Something with a bunch of USB outputs though would be amazing, as USB in many DACs is now superior, but that's probably hoping for too much and goes back to just building a streamer.

On optical though -- I find it a good benchmark to see if noise is affecting other inputs in my system. If the USB input sounds the same as the optical (ie: not brighter) then I know it's good. If it sounds different, then I know there is at least some noise getting in. Also, it's convenient where Schiit DACs are limited to 192k input.

On an ironic note though: The flap on the optical input on my Yggy broke, so now I can't use it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #121,268 of 152,752
Would love to get an URD (and a Yggy+OG) but unfortunately I can't ever see the Aussie distributer stocking them. Pity.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #121,270 of 152,752
I am curious about what people think about variants, especially the USB switcher side. Not that there's anything in process; it's just we have some new tech to play with. Let us know.
Thanks team Schiit for bringing the Urd into existence. The USB switcher is the main reason I'm interested. Reality: I own 6 CDs and a much larger collection of digital files. Piping files from an mSD card (or other USB source) through the USB switcher & into a Cayin RU7 sounds heavenly and dreamlike. I imagine I could carry this usb switcher and power brick in my pocket. The alternative is stay realistic, buy the URD, and start collecting (or borrow) CDs like I did on the 90s.

Side note: I checked the SPECS hoping for SACD compatibility :) (I wondered if anyone else did the same).

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #121,271 of 152,752
Jul 13, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #121,272 of 152,752
Hm…

I either need a smaller desk, or a longer cable for my Focal Elex… 🤔

IMG_4892.jpeg

Edit:
Ah, found the three foot extension that I kinda forgot I had. Problem solved, the desk can stay. 😁
I really like those modular Hart Audio cables. Nifty things, they are.
Dood. Moove da chair! You’re sitting (figuratively) in right field. You need to play center!

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #121,273 of 152,752
I just liked this post, which is wrong. I am actually lamenting this post. Damn…
I used to buy this from our local posh supermarket. It was delicious. Such sad news.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #121,275 of 152,752
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have always noticed that CDs played in a CD player having "something" to their sound quality that hard drive stored FLAC files don't. For me personally, the convenience of having thousands of files on an HD is enough to forgo CD playback.
That's interesting to hear. I've always had a similar feeling in the past where there's "something" to the sound that I like when played directly from the disc. I have no idea what that thing is. But the convenience of having all my music on an SSD is hard to trump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back