Jul 11, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #121,097 of 150,382
waiting...

1689078535728.png

JC

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #121,099 of 150,382
Jul 11, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #121,100 of 150,382
E12CB617-D394-4DDC-9D62-8F8F14E0D732.gif

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #121,103 of 150,382
I agree too. It's difficult at times though to make a clear distinction between the real science and the pseudo-science, especially for those of us that aren't scientists (or educated in electrical engineering or theory). I don't want to steer things way off-topic here (that's only allowed for BBQ :laughing:), but many years ago I was quite firmly entrenched in the "cord is a cord" camp, and openly laughed at some of the stratospherically-priced power cords being offered at the time. If a power cord was of sufficient gauge for the application (eg: negligible voltage drop for the length in use), was of quality construction and made of quality materials, then a power cord was a power cord was a power cord. Full stop. Then a friend sent me one of those cords I'd been laughing about, and my paradigm shifted...radically. The "science" behind it was still questionable, but did at least bear some plausibility (to me). Would the same money spent on that cord have yielded more substantial sonic improvements if spent on a better component....instead of the cord? Maybe. Probably, even. Point being (from my perspective) is that cords and cables *can* make a positive difference. The question is whether the juice is worth the squeeze, and that's a totally personal evaluation depending on one's priorities, desires, and disposable funds for things audio. I still laugh at some of these car-priced cables, but not because of the price. My laughter is almost always due to the marketing crap that comes along with them that even a non-engineer can recognize as either total BS or coming directly from a successful clone of Albert Einstein (who would not likely be spending time making cables for deranged audiophiles :laughing:). Just my opinion, FWIW.
Am I right in thinking that most U.S homes are not wired up via ring mains ? - U.K homes use ring mains -
That would explain why mains filters , screened mains leads and DC blockers are pretty much a necessity in UK homes but rarely make much difference in the U.S .
just think about those refrigerators , microwaves , LED lights and cheapo SMPS for routers etc feeding DC offset and noisy crud into the ring mains you plug your audio system into !!! :scream::scream::scream:- Also pretty sure that 220-240 V @ 50Hz is also going to have a bigger effect on mains leads and their construction .

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #121,105 of 150,382
We'll see about tomorrow. Still waiting for final OK from firmware QC.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #121,106 of 150,382
I'm waiting for the announcement, too.

Just in case anyone's considering a WiiM Pro, Amazon has them at $119.20 for Prime Day.
FWIW, WiiM is also getting ready to release a WiiM Pro(+) which will include a USB digital out functionality. Perfect for Schiit Heads that want an affordable and functional USB streamer to use with Unison USB. I think we can expect it in the next month.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #121,107 of 150,382
Am I right in thinking that most U.S homes are not wired up via ring mains - U.K homes do use ring mains ?
Ring circuits are only used in the UK and in some older buildings in Ireland and Hong Kong. The rest of the world uses radial circuits.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #121,108 of 150,382
Building a set of vintage like speakers 8 ohms, 88 db....SEAS A26 clones to the old Dynaco A25.
Thinking of doing a monoblock solution for amping and a Schiit pre-amp for volume control.
The sound pressure is a healthy 88 dB SPL for 2.83 Volts/1 metre (1 Watt nominal input).
Small room over my garage, low ceiling...

What are my options?
Is a balanced pre-amp always needed for monoblock operation?
Do you think a pair of Gjallarhorns would do the trick with a Saga?
Rather Freya + ?

Old School speaker design from the 60's!

Opinions please!
:>)
Alex

1689075719803.png

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #121,109 of 150,382
Ring circuits are only used in the UK and in some older buildings in Ireland and Hong Kong. The rest of the world uses radial circuits.
Thanks for that - its does explain a lot- UK and US domestic mains and earthing/ neutral requirements are fundamentally different -

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #121,110 of 150,382
Building a set of vintage like speakers 8 ohms, 88 db....SEAS A26 clones to the old Dynaco A25.
Thinking of doing a monoblock solution for amping and a Schiit pre-amp for volume control.
The sound pressure is a healthy 88 dB SPL for 2.83 Volts/1 metre (1 Watt nominal input).
Small room over my garage, low ceiling...

What are my options?
Is a balanced pre-amp always needed for monoblock operation?
Do you think a pair of Gjallarhorns would do the trick with a Saga?
Rather Freya + ?

Opinions please!
:>)
Alex

1689075719803.png
Its got one of those fab German Blue paper drivers - very nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back