Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #121,111 of 151,569
Its got one of those fab German Blue paper drivers - very nice
Paper cones can be really great!
Waiting on cabinets, have all the internals and crossover parts..
Love my Schiit MB 2 dac...
Have other amps etc but thought this would
be a neat setup with a pair of monos and a pre-amp with a remote and to do the mono setup via balanced..

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #121,112 of 151,569
Love my Schiit MB 2 dac...
Have other amps etc but thought this would
be a neat setup with a pair of monos and a pre-amp with a remote and to do the mono setup via balanced..
Yep - my old AR18 had paper cones a plastic tweeter and a resistor /capacitor as a very basic crossover - not an accurate speaker perhaps but boy could they play a tune !!

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #121,113 of 151,569
Yep - my old AR18 had paper cones a plastic tweeter and a resistor /capacitor as a very basic crossover - not an accurate speaker perhaps but boy could they play a tune !!
This design is a very simple x-over...woofer has no x-over.
The 1.5" dome Seas tweeter has a series 3.3 uf with a 8.2/10/12 ohm power resistor...
The tweeters were very $$$$..ooof!

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #121,114 of 151,569
Building a set of vintage like speakers 8 ohms, 88 db....SEAS A26 clones to the old Dynaco A25.
Thinking of doing a monoblock solution for amping and a Schiit pre-amp for volume control.
The sound pressure is a healthy 88 dB SPL for 2.83 Volts/1 metre (1 Watt nominal input).
Small room over my garage, low ceiling...

What are my options?
Is a balanced pre-amp always needed for monoblock operation?
Do you think a pair of Gjallarhorns would do the trick with a Saga?
Rather Freya + ?

Opinions please!
:>)
Alex

1689075719803.png
You will need a balanced source to run the Gj's in mono - however given the efficiency of the speakers, I think you will be totally happy running a single Gj in stereo. I'm running similar sensitivity speakers in a much larger high ceiling space driven by a 300B SET amp at 8 watts

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #121,115 of 151,569
You will need a balanced source to run the Gj's in mono - however given the efficiency of the speakers, I think you will be totally happy running a single Gj in stereo. I'm running similar sensitivity speakers in a much larger high ceiling space driven but a 300B SET amp at 8 watts
Hmmm.
Guess I could just try one and see then....

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #121,117 of 151,569
Ring circuits are only used in the UK and in some older buildings in Ireland and Hong Kong. The rest of the world uses radial circuits.
I believe we used Radial mains until WW2 then switched to ring mains to replace bomb damaged /destroyed homes wiring because it used much less wire ( would have been a strategic material at the time ) and as we entered the austerity years after the war the practise continued on new builds and re-wires - important to note that each appliance is fused at the plug end as well as internally to avoid lethal short circuits across the neutral /common earth making bare metal chassis live

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #121,118 of 151,569
This design is a very simple x-over...woofer has no x-over.
The 1.5" dome Seas tweeter has a series 3.3 uf with a 8.2/10/12 ohm power resistor...
The tweeters were very $$$$..ooof!
yep - i seem to remember that the woofer had a natural roll-off freq fairly close to but overlapping what the tweeter would pick up from - the Cap/resistor were used principally to trim the roll-off response and protect the tweeter

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #121,119 of 151,569
Am I right in thinking that most U.S homes are not wired up via ring mains - U.K homes do use ring mains ? if so that would explain why mains filters and DC blockers are pretty much a necessity in UK homes and rarely make much difference in the U.S . All those refrigerators , microwaves , LED lights and cheapo SMPS for routers etc feed a lot of DC offset and crud into the ring mains - Also pretty sure that 220-240 V @ 50Hz is also going to have an effect .
We're radial, and we're 'only' 120V (114-126V RMS) at 60Hz. The best investment I've made in my audio system (verified by others, not me) is this little 90 lb. paperweight:

Furman_Power.jpeg
a bit dusty back there.jpeg

...and yeah, it's a bit dusty back there... gotta add that cleaning task to my list. A side benefit of having this monster in the rack is that it anchors the turntable platform securely to the floor <g>.

Adding the Furman dropped the overall system noise floor to inaudibility, with my ear one foot away from the speaker, with no input and the preamp set to 0db.
I am a strong proponent of power conditioning. If money grew on trees, I'd buy a Stromtank. But that would be just pure (German) overkill. :sunglasses:

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #121,120 of 151,569
Did you order the prebuilt cabinet, or building your own?

I've been looking at the A26 kit off and on for a number of years.

In case you haven't seen it, there's an A26 thread over at the Hoffman site that includes a couple of nice custom cabinet builds.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/seas-a-26-kit-devore-093-096-style.790511/

I hope that you'll let us know how you like them.

Jul 11, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #121,121 of 151,569
We're radial, and we're 'only' 120V (114-126V RMS) at 60Hz. The best investment I've made in my audio system (verified by others, not me) is this little 90 lb. paperweight:

Furman_Power.jpega bit dusty back there.jpeg
...and yeah, it's a bit dusty back there... gotta add that cleaning task to my list. A side benefit of having this monster in the rack is that it anchors the turntable platform securely to the floor <g>.

Adding the Furman dropped the overall system noise floor to inaudibility, with my ear one foot away from the speaker, with no input and the preamp set to 0db.
I am a strong proponent of power conditioning. If money grew on trees, I'd buy a Stromtank. But that would be just pure (German) overkill. :sunglasses:
Furman is great! In lesser noisy lines even smaller Furman devices do great.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #121,122 of 151,569
Did you order the prebuilt cabinet, or building your own?

I've been looking at the A26 kit off and on for a number of years.

In case you haven't seen it, there's an A26 thread over at the Hoffman site that includes a couple of nice custom cabinet builds.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/seas-a-26-kit-devore-093-096-style.790511/

I hope that you'll let us know how you like them.
I bought the cabinets, made by the wizards up in Windsor, CT. MDF with Cherry veneer.
$500.
I haven the skills, but not the tools and space to do this kind of work.
Its labor intensive and takes time and patience to do it right.

I have looked at these for years, always out of my reach, but this was a birthday present, fathers day combo!!

I have read all the threads at Hoffmans and diyaudio...great folks there as well.

Cabinets arrive tomorrow, built speaker stands today, filled with sand!! LOL! Beach sand!!

Somehow way back in "'69 I missed getting a pair of the originals...these should make up for that!!

Will be nice to have a Schiit amp and dac....I will post some build pix.
Alex

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #121,123 of 151,569

The orginal AR18 1.5" paper cone tweeter was designed by Roy Allison. A warm, sweet tweeter, regardless of it's modest beginnings. Plus, older AR's are true bargains, when found. Don't pass 'em up...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back