Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 11, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #119,867 of 150,364
"Modi+ is all that you need" - Jason Stoddard

Mr. @Jason Stoddard has stated the title above many times, and he's right. In the last few months I started acquiring Schiit Audio products because I understand/agree with the engineering design philosophy of this company and confirmed to my taste the musicality of its wares. For a DAC I selected the new MMB2 and couldn't be happier; I have that in my main stereo system.

I have a second system in a different location, where I am seldom at. But... when I am near it I felt the difference as compared to my main system. On this second system I listen to streamed music and have been using a not-to-be-named small/compact multibit Burr-Brown-based DAC. I felt it sounded clinical, and a bit unnatural. So I decided to get the bottom of the barrel Schiit DAC - the Modi+. And @Jason Stoddard is correct. Everything sounds right now, pianos sound real, resonances correct.

And no, I am not A-B-ing the Modi+ with my other MMB2 or that to other higher tier Schiit DACs. I'm sure they are better, but for my listening this is just right. Thank you Schiit Audio, Messrs. Moffat and Stoddard!

IMG_8532.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #119,868 of 150,364
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Fly Like An Eagle...... Steve Miller Band

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #119,869 of 150,364
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Fly Like An Eagle...... Steve Miller Band
THAT is a great choice, it already moves around the room...

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #119,870 of 150,364
Never have been in the past, but if nobody steps up I'm happy to help out however I can! Willing to learn as I go.
We have news here.
@theeclone will take over from here and be the master of our little fundraising.
Thank you, Kevin, for doing this.
I never thought this trough with this mechanics, but people here shined earlier in helping me out.
I am suitably humbled by the reactions here. Special people you are.

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #119,871 of 150,364
We have news here.
@theeclone will take over from here and be the master of our little fundraising.
Thank you, Kevin, for doing this.
I never thought this trough with this mechanics, but people here shined earlier in helping me out.
I am suitably humbled by the reactions here. Special people you are.
Well Pietro please let me thank you and your health care group for the care and compassion to the ones in need. I feel sure many others in our "special group" feel like wise.
Take care and be safe.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #119,872 of 150,364
"Modi+ is all that you need" - Jason Stoddard

Mr. @Jason Stoddard has stated the title above many times, and he's right. In the last few months I started acquiring Schiit Audio products because I understand/agree with the engineering design philosophy of this company and confirmed to my taste the musicality of its wares. For a DAC I selected the new MMB2 and couldn't be happier; I have that in my main stereo system.

I have a second system in a different location, where I am seldom at. But... when I am near it I felt the difference as compared to my main system. On this second system I listen to streamed music and have been using a not-to-be-named small/compact multibit Burr-Brown-based DAC. I felt it sounded clinical, and a bit unnatural. So I decided to get the bottom of the barrel Schiit DAC - the Modi+. And @Jason Stoddard is correct. Everything sounds right now, pianos sound real, resonances correct.

And no, I am not A-B-ing the Modi+ with my other MMB2 or that to other higher tier Schiit DACs. I'm sure they are better, but for my listening this is just right. Thank you Schiit Audio, Messrs. Moffat and Stoddard!

IMG_8532.jpg
Thanks for posting your view on the Modi+. I have a MM2 and MM1 but I've been curious about the Modi +. I had a Modi 3+ that used the ES9018 but didn't care for it. It reminded of the Topping D50s that I once owned. Maybe Schiit did a little fine tuning with the Modi+. I might have to try one.

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #119,873 of 150,364
Thanks for posting your view on the Modi+. I have a MM2 and MM1 but I've been curious about the Modi +. I had a Modi 3+ that used the ES9018 but didn't care for it. It reminded of the Topping D50s that I once owned. Maybe Schiit did a little fine tuning with the Modi+. I might have to try one.
Thanks for posting and identifying yourself. I knew you with your previous handle and wondered where you were. I always appreciate your audio analyses.

Re the Modi+... I like what I hear and I am happy with it. I am not exhaustively doing A-B sessions against other DACs. It just sounds correct to me and that its enough. Not the case with the unit it replaced. And this is with speakers not headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #119,874 of 150,364
Thanks for posting and identifying yourself. I knew you with your previous handle and wondered where you were. I always appreciate your audio analyses.
I had issues with my account so I ended up with my old name. Joe was great getting my account going again and I appreciate his help.

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #119,876 of 150,364
Wonderful day listening with the Vali 2+ (we396a) contrasting the MB 2 with another dac.
Using a set of Rad 0's.

Artist: Sara K.
Wonderful light and airy recording on Qobuz.
The little Vali 2 + is a magical device here!

1686594781397.png
1686594986711.png
Ah Life is Good!

Alex
I'm playing around today. I pulled out my MM2 and put a little DAC back in that's been in a drawer. The Pro-ject Dac Box FL. It's a NOS DAC that has 4 TD1543 chips in it. I'm using my Vahalla 2 amp and my source is an Audiolab transport. This basic little black box is so musical I forgot what a fun listen it is.
I had a Vali 2++, great little amp. I bet your 2+ sounds fantastic with the WE396A in it.

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #119,879 of 150,364
Artist: Sara K.
Wonderful light and airy recording on Qobuz.
The little Vali 2 + is a magical device here!

1686594781397.png
She is, and always has been, one of my favorite artists. That was her first album on Stockfisch Records, recorded by Günter Pauler.
Hobo and No Cover are probably my favorite albums of hers... but they are all wonderful IMHO.

Ah Life is Good!
You can say that again, Alex. Agreed 100%. We are so lucky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back