Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #117,857 of 153,276
That's actually just a Mjolnir 2 (with the tubes removed). No metal for MJ3 yet, but coming soon...need to do manuals and screens for it tonight, with Urd.
@Jason Stoddard, if you'd take my card, I'd take a Mjolnir 3 without metal or a manual...

May 4, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #117,859 of 153,276
I had one in the '70s. Claim to fame was its Holman's phono preamp circuit. Line amp had a high noise level due to topology of volume potentiometer. That was still one of Henry Kloss' products. Kloss, great fellow!

Lots of people use it as a preamp only -- possibly for that reason. I also hooked it up to my Quad 405 Mk II for a while, but when a channel died I went back to using it as a receiver and it still worked fine.

May 4, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #117,860 of 153,276
Speaking of business, Audio Research has entered into receivership :frowning2:
I had an SP6B Preamp; wonderful when it actually worked.....
You know, someone could buy it, solve the quality issues, switch to direct sales only, and have a very nice tube amp company.

May 4, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #117,862 of 153,276
You know, someone could buy it, solve the quality issues, switch to direct sales only, and have a very nice tube amp company.
Add that to the list of always-bad decisions: buying someone else's problems.

Well, maybe with some caveats. Usually I've seen this when the business is still operational. At that point, they usually have some super-humorous asks for the buyer. One is retaining the existing management. Why? That's why the company is in trouble, right? Or big buyouts for the management. Again, why? Rewards for failure? Nah, not when you can wait until receivership.

Once in receivership, you really need to see what encumbrances there are to the company and what got it there in the first place. I've personally never seen an example worth buying. But that's me. Maybe there are examples. Personally, I'd wait until Chapter 7 (dissolution) is finished, then see if someone owns the name, or if the name is available, if I felt there was any value in reviving a company. Because at that point, it's a clean slate. Do what you want.

So yeah...not for us, sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 4, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #117,863 of 153,276
I hope Urd will have gapless playback. Since Mike is a big classical fan, I'm hopeful it will be in there.

I, personally, have never known a CD player to not have gapless playback. I would find that really weird....
Yeah. Aren’t all CDs gapless according to the red book standard? Unless there are gaps built into the track? And I thought the whole gap playback is only a problem with streamers? I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #117,865 of 153,276
I seem to remember a Darko review of the emotiva player and it didn't do gapless. A definite gripe for him.
Do you have a link? I know gapless is a big thing for Darko. However, I can't think of any disc player from any manufacturer that won't play gapless.

May 4, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #117,866 of 153,276
Add that to the list of always-bad decisions: buying someone else's problems.
How about Netflix's DVD business? I really want someone to buy that (RedBox wants to ...).
Free Concert DVD subscription with every Urd purchase! C'mon, you know you want to! (Or are you one of those Kaleidascape snobs :) ?)

May 4, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #117,867 of 153,276
I'm finding your Audio enjoyment + lifestyle versus energy consumption / energy storage conundrums absolutely fascinating ,
I'm also finding this oddly fascinating. Probably because it feeds into my speaker fetish.

Looking through TAS Ultimate Directory of Loudspeakers and capping the price at mid 3 figures, for 88+ sensitive speakers, I see not much.

Cabasse has a bunch of sensitive speakers at a variety of price points, some more reasonable than others.
Paradigm has a few.
PSB Alpha P5.
Tekton Mini Lore at 95.
Totem Kin (love my Totem Tribe II as a center channel)

Me, personally, I really want the Fyne Audio Vintage Ten or the Vintage Fifteen! The F301 seems a good deal at 89/$625.

Some amusing asides:
The Oswald Mills Mini is 89lbs (95 sensitivity!). Unusual definition of mini being used there.

(hope no one minds this list)

May 4, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #117,869 of 153,276
I, personally, have never known a CD player to not have gapless playback. I would find that really weird....
I've seen and had some players (especially the mixed media ones like DVD players) that don't do gapless playback, which is why I brought it up. CD-ROM based mechanisms also don't tend to implement gapless playback maybe because they're built for the way computers access data.

I won't ask for my dream feature, which I don't expect anyone to implement these days: index point access within tracks. I've only seen that on some Sony ES players.

May 4, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #117,870 of 153,276
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Hoedown-2015 Remaster..... Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back