Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #116,341 of 155,122
Nothing that can’t be fixed by popping out the remote and using a little 800-1200 grit wet or dry sandpaper. You could polish it to a high gloss, spray on some clear krylon and have a very smooth remote…
I’m pretty obsessive, I have been known to polish the mold lines off of plastic ukulele tuning knobs. But polishing a remote surprises even me. Even a hypothetical discussion of polishing remotes surprises me.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #116,342 of 155,122
I'll take my Subaru WRX Wagon over both the Miata and the Z4. It handles better (is stiffer) and has more power and isn't a fat pig like all BMWs have become. When I see a BMW these days I think 'ahh, the ultimate sitting and riding in machine...'. They have long lost any right to call themselves a driving machine.

Worst handling car I ever owned was a 1953 MGTD. But then it didn't go fast enough to get in any real trouble.
Most fun was probably my 1969 Datsun 510 that had just about anything you could do to it to improve the handling. Amazing how much fun you can have with 90 horses.
WHY WON'T THEY MAKE US ANOTHER WRX WAGON?!?!?!??! I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #116,343 of 155,122
Nothing that can’t be fixed by popping out the remote and using a little 800-1200 grit wet or dry sandpaper. You could polish it to a high gloss, spray on some clear krylon and have a very smooth remote…
Mirror finish remote challenge? 🍿

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #116,344 of 155,122
CarPlay works great in my Mach-E. Just sayin'. :)
… better than this? 😎
A0E26BD1-B86B-4ACF-8ADC-5AD1E4F82668.jpeg

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #116,346 of 155,122
4) I don't get how I will connect a center channel speaker with just one mono output. Do I just use one input on an amp, and then connect two speaker wires to the center channel speaker?

Any help appreciated....

This is what I did. I already had some little class D amps laying around from previous setups. I have the center channel output from the syn going into the R input on the amp, and run the speaker cables from the R output of the amp to the speaker. If I needed to buy an amp, probably would go with a Rekkr in mono mode.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #116,347 of 155,122
So I've been waiting for a product like Syn for years. I've hated every AVR I've ever owned, and would gladly swap them out for Syn and 5 cheap amps (probably some of the new Schiit amps)

However, I really don't understand how the outputs work on Syn;

1) I get that the Main L&R channel outputs go to a stereo amp
2) I get that the Surround L&R channel outputs will go to a second stereo amp for the rear surround speakers
3) I get that the single Sub output will go to my powered subwoofer
4) I don't get how I will connect a center channel speaker with just one mono output. Do I just use one input on an amp, and then connect two speaker wires to the center channel speaker?

Any help appreciated....

I ended up going with an Emotiva BasX A5 amp for my Syn. It was the cheapest option and is Class A/B. It does have 2 fans in it though, but I only hear them for a few seconds when it first turns on. I would have bought a Schiit 5 channel amp instead in a heartbeat if one were available.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #116,348 of 155,122
BTW, I ordered 3 sets of 1 meter Snake Oil cables with my Syn. I really, really like them. Rean connectors and the cable is beefy, yet very flexible. I definitely will be buying some more of them.

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #116,349 of 155,122
I have a Merkur 34C. I don't know how many horsepower it is though. Could be the same company?

1681216831584.png
This one is probably more reliable...

Jim Rome used to talk about the one he owned...

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #116,351 of 155,122
Which is precisely why I own (and remain decidedly crazy about) my outrageously-overpowered-for-what-I-use-them-for Tyrs: a year in, and their first watt still puts a big smile on my face.
Hear, hear. Last month, on a whim, I moved the (upstairs) Aegirs into the main system, replacing the Tyrs. I was initially very impressed, probably due to selection bias. :sunglasses:
Within a day or so, I found myself making changes to my eq profile, adding gain in the mid-bass. Then, I just sat back and listened. I really liked what I heard.

Being intrinsically lazy, I had never schlepped the Tyrs upstairs to replace the Aegirs, so my daily office listening was "limited" to my HD-600s via the OG (True Multibit equipped) Jotunheim. Last Thursday, I figured that enough time had gone by, and it was time to put the Tyrs back in the main system...

First watt, indeed. Tyr delivers all of the beauty of Aegir, with the addition of incredible woofer control for my B&Ws.

And best of all, I have my office system back. Experiment complete, and it's a win-win for both Aegir and Tyr. I love this Schiit!

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #116,352 of 155,122
Humbling experience No. 30,478: finding a hidden bonus disc in a CD that you've owned for almost 16 years.

IMG_3410.jpg

On the plus side, it was like finding buried treasure!
That's a great album from a great band!

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #116,353 of 155,122
So I've been waiting for a product like Syn for years. I've hated every AVR I've ever owned, and would gladly swap them out for Syn and 5 cheap amps (probably some of the new Schiit amps)

However, I really don't understand how the outputs work on Syn;

1) I get that the Main L&R channel outputs go to a stereo amp
2) I get that the Surround L&R channel outputs will go to a second stereo amp for the rear surround speakers
3) I get that the single Sub output will go to my powered subwoofer

Any help appreciated....

You could also use 5 Tyrs. Just saying.😉

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #116,354 of 155,122
I’m pretty obsessive, I have been known to polish the mold lines off of plastic ukulele tuning knobs. But polishing a remote surprises even me. Even a hypothetical discussion of polishing remotes surprises me.
Perhaps "polishing a remote" is code for some thing far more sinister?

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #116,355 of 155,122
Available at Amazon Music Unlimited (CD quality):

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 2.17.23 PM.png
"Nightbird" is not on Tidal, but "I Can Only Be Me" is, with the London Symphony Orchestra. Wow, this sounds really fantastic!

1681230840008.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back