Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #114,228 of 150,084
Man, that Urd is a sexy piece of Schiit. Looking forward to completing a full size stack when it drops.

But, my stack is still missing an important piece - an FM Tuner. Maybe I'm old school but to me an FM Tuner would reallllly complete a full stack. No real options are going to mesh well on top of a Freya S, Loki Max, URD stack. Really don't want a Sangean or a Project S2. All silver a Zeus intended.

And I think Schiit's unique expertise in analog and digital could do some cool things with it and still keep it simple. Analog out as well as Unison out for HD Radio. Maybe an ADC to run it all over Unison if you want straight into the new URD hub. Simple screen and remote control. Don't need 30 presets, 6 will do. A man can dream...

I also listen to quite a bit of FM. I pushed for a tuner a few thousand pages back, and even Photoshopped up a Schiit case with a Magic Eye in it - did not last long before Jason deleted it. Fair enough, of course, I was abusing their IP, but still a bit of a badge of honour I suppose to have had a post deleted. But I'd still like to see a tuner, preferably in the mid-sized Bifrost form factor, although my wallet would be happier with a smaller (= cheaper) Modi sized.

The airwaves don't go away when you miss paying your cable Internet bill. Or Rogers (Verizon, Comcast, etc.) has an outage.

But I'm not holding my breath. They're probably more likely to release another ADC than a new tuner.

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #114,232 of 150,084
Mar 23, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #114,233 of 150,084
The Syn has got to be a reference to something sacrilegious that we never thought was going to happen - SuperMegaComboBurrito filter in a Delta-Sigma DAC. I may be interested in picking up one.
That will happen in Singularity. (I think that has been confirmed but I'm not sure, it seems almost self-evident though, that if they make their own delta-sigma DAC they're going to use their own filter with that. Possibly some of the filter math is applicable to the delta-sigma modulation itself and makes it quite different from other delta-sigma DACs.)

Comboburrito filter with an off-the-shelf DAC chip might not make a lot of sense on a technical level and if it does I'd expect the product name for that to simply be Modius+. Unless it is significantly more expensive and a significant step up, in which case a new name and the price point of the Syn makes sense... but that really does not qualify as sacred cow BBQ, if you ask me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #114,234 of 150,084
The Syn has got to be a reference to something sacrilegious that we never thought was going to happen - SuperMegaComboBurrito filter in a Delta-Sigma DAC. I may be interested in picking up one.
Nope.
And I'm not sure how Mike's filter in a D/S DAC would be "sacrilegious" — especially given the fact that this thing already exists as an officially announced, working prototype, and that I can tell you from personal experience that it sounds pretty good! 😎

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #114,235 of 150,084
Comboburrito filter with an off-the-shelf DAC chip might not make a lot of sense on a technical level and if it does I'd expect the product name for that to simply be Modius+. Unless it is significantly more expensive and a significant step up, in which case a new name and the price point of the Syn makes sense... but that really does not qualify as sacred cow BBQ, if you ask me.
Oops, I forgot that the comboburrito filter probably (almost certainly) draws a lot more power than a Modius. A cheap option in the Bifrost 2 then? Maybe.

Still, no DAC is a sacred cow BBQ when everything from DSD through few-bit delta-sigma to True Multibit is already on the table (and PCM to PWM, but I think a patent now in the hands of Qualcomm is a problem there). I'm quite sure that there is no other tangibly different way to convert digital PCM audio to analog audio. This on a mathematical level, but technical implementation of these are also already varied enough (except PCM to PWM of course) that there are no sacred cows in this field.

As I see it. YMMV, but I'd be very surprised if Syn is a DAC.

At least if it's just a DAC, I might not be entirely surprised if it is a DAC with additional trickery in it. Which would be a DAC that by design does not try to output what the bits told it to output. Now that, that I could accept as sacred cow BBQ!

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #114,236 of 150,084
What are some of the sacred cows in audio that could be skewered?

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #114,237 of 150,084
Maybe their own sacred cows to be sacrificed, a DAC supporting DSD and MQA, with a power switch on the front, (gasp!) They have a hole in their lineup now.

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #114,239 of 150,084
What are some of the sacred cows in audio that could be skewered?
That's a tough one. So many different camps with different sacred cows. It does seem, though, that in general audiophiles tend to agree that the less digital processing in the chain, the better. I have to wonder if Syn is a largely digital device. But then, why would people's ire be directed at Jason, the primarily analog guy, instead of Mike or Dave?

Truly a mystery to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back