Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #114,136 of 155,069
Don't you dare bring Greek mythology into a Norse themed thread...! :fearful::grinning:
… it’s high time that Loki cleaned the Aegean stables … 🐴 💩 😷

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #114,137 of 155,069
Hehehe burn. I actually like them all, (except that Texas swill) NC is good, SC mustard based is good too, but the GA boys get it just right and it's awesome.
You said it right. 2nd place goes to SC mustard base.... weird but good....

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #114,138 of 155,069
A cable's resistance is negligible, really. It's the cable's impedance that matters. And that's where things get complicated and at least some of the arguments from the pro cable folks start to make at least some sense. Not all of them, but just enough to keep me on my toes.
Yeah, bad word choice for me, but effectively: resistance and impedance are both measured in ohms. It's just that resistance works in both AC and DC systems, and impedance only fits into the math for AC systems (like audio gear); Z=R+X, but calculating reactance is a bit weird, so I'll just ignore the (potentially negligible) "X" term for now. #mea_culpa

Anyway, if you have DC at the your loudspeakers, you're going to be mad.

I am looking forward to the day we finally meet in person. Your disappointment will be glorious. 🤪
If you're 50% as much fun IRL as you are on the interwebs, we'll have fun together. :beers:

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #114,139 of 155,069
dynamic loudspeaker load impedance typically changes substantially with frequency (e.g for 804d3, min is ~3 ohms @ 131Hz), but near the driver's in-box alignment resonant frequency, the impedance peaks to 8x the min value (25 ohms @ ~45 Hz). series resistance (be it from the thevenin equivalent source impedance of the amplifier, the speaker cables, termination interface resistance, etc.) interacts with the frequency-dependent loudspeaker impedance, causing fluctuations in frequency response (typ less than a dB for reasonable low-impedance cables). its not just the bulk speaker wire, but the interface impedances count as well (e.g. bulk wire to banana plug shell, banana plug shell to contact fingers, contact fingers to speaker terminal, etc.)

impedance & phase vs frequency plot for 804d3 from here:
https://hometheaterreview.com/bowers-wilkins-804-d3-floorstanding-speakers-reviewed/

think resistive voltage divider, Vout = Vin * (Rl) / (Rl + Rs) where Rs is combined equivalent source resistance, and Rl is the frequency-dependent load impedance.
Thank you. I actually get it now!

RMS clamp meter on the main power cable should read close to zero (hot and neutral wires should have nearly equal but opposite flowing currents). something like a Kil-a-watt meter (temporarily added between wall socket and power conditioner) should work better. if reporting values to this thread, please indicate both volt-amps [VA] and Watts [W] measurements (VA typically higher than Watt readings). I expect closer VA & W readings for Tyr than for Aegir (choke input PSU on Tyr to have larger conductance angle, lower crest factor, higher power factor).
Would the zero reading be displayed because the Furman is symmetric, -60V and +60V?

Good that a Kil-A-Watt will work better than a Fluke clamp, because it's 5x cheaper. :)

Power factor is notionally kW:kVA, working vs. apparent power... correct? And high PFs are good, low PFs indicate 'waste in the system'... sorry not EE words from this ME.

so much to learn...

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #114,140 of 155,069
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #114,141 of 155,069
Uhm, what about spare ribs?
…ribeye?
…t-bone?
…porterhouse?
…tomahawk?
…bone-in filet mignon?
…bone-in tenderloin?
Tomahawks from Rancho Llano Seco in Chico will blow your mind; they look like something that the Flintstone's would BBQ. 8th generation family farm. Crazy good meats.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #114,142 of 155,069
That's rich. Have you been drinking? 🤣
Dunno about that guy, but I certainly am... need to stop soon bc I have a call at 07h00 with my team... <g>

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #114,143 of 155,069
Was looking for something else and stumbled upon your post from this morning (i.e. half a bazillion pages back).
Sorry if you've already received a reply to this.
If not, however:
  • Mjolnir 3 will be a limited run.
  • It should see its release later this year. Maybe summer, maybe a bit later.
  • A price wasn't announced yet, but if memory serves, it was hinted at that it'll be a good bit more dear than Mjolnir 2 was. (Can't find that post, though. Sorry.)
  • You can find a few preliminary details and specs about the amp in Chapter 1 (2023), just use your browser's search function on that page and look for "Mjolnir" — you'll find the interesting bits right around the photo of MJ3's prototype.
  • That prototype, by the way, sounds magnificent — even though it's not even the final version yet.
Hope this answers your question. ✌️😎
I just want my Urd.

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #114,144 of 155,069
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #114,145 of 155,069
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #114,146 of 155,069
My life with the thrill kill kult.
OMG that's an awesome choice. Can I get it on vinyl? I recently have adopted this vinyl fetish...

meta%3AeyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ%3D%3D.png

An awesome LP.

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #114,147 of 155,069
Thank you. I actually get it now!

Would the zero reading be displayed because the Furman is symmetric, -60V and +60V?

Good that a Kil-A-Watt will work better than a Fluke clamp, because it's 5x cheaper. :)

Power factor is notionally kW:kVA, working vs. apparent power... correct? And high PFs are good, low PFs indicate 'waste in the system'... sorry not EE words from this ME.

so much to learn...
Zero reading is because the power cord contains a pair of wires (besides the ground wire), and instantaneous current flows out of one AC prong from the wall socket into the Furman, and a nearly equal magnitude but opposite direction current flows from the Furman into the wall socket on the second AC prong. Magnetic fields from these opposing currents cancel.

Aside: real-world imbalance in currents between the two AC prongs is due to parasitic leakage current to/from earth ground.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #114,148 of 155,069
Anybody else ever noticed the pattern in the grooves of Trans Europe Express?
20230318_194813.jpg
A long time back there was a guy on one of the TV talk shows that could look at the pattern of the grooves on an LP and tell you the name of the piece. This is easy with Tchaikovsk’s 1812 overature due to the cannon shots—especially the recording by the Cincinnati Pops—but how he got so many others right baffled me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #114,149 of 155,069
Zero reading is because the power cord contains a pair of wires (besides the ground wire), and instantaneous current flows out of one AC prong from the wall socket into the Furman, and a nearly equal magnitude but opposite direction current flows from the Furman into the wall socket on the second AC prong. Magnetic fields from these opposing currents cancel.

Aside: real-world imbalance in currents between the two AC prongs is due to parasitic leakage current to/from earth ground.
Correct, and quite well explained!

Sidenote: leakage to device ground goes through the third wire and also cancels, but should also be very low unless there's a fault.

There is an electrical safety device, the residual current device, that monitors the imbalance in the two normal wires and cuts the power if it goes above a set limit (a few mA). Highly recommended, required only in high risk areas in the US, required in general here.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #114,150 of 155,069
Was looking for something else and stumbled upon your post from this morning (i.e. half a bazillion pages back).
Sorry if you've already received a reply to this.
If not, however:
  • Mjolnir 3 will be a limited run.
  • It should see its release later this year. Maybe summer, maybe a bit later.
  • A price wasn't announced yet, but if memory serves, it was hinted at that it'll be a good bit more dear than Mjolnir 2 was. (Can't find that post, though. Sorry.)
  • You can find a few preliminary details and specs about the amp in Chapter 1 (2023), just use your browser's search function on that page and look for "Mjolnir" — you'll find the interesting bits right around the photo of MJ3's prototype.
  • That prototype, by the way, sounds magnificent — even though it's not even the final version yet.
Hope this answers your question. ✌️😎
Thankk you for summary. Some points I already knew, but I thought that it would be announced this month. We will see then. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back