Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #111,616 of 150,256
I've never owned a saga/saga+ but my understanding is that since the tube is for buffer purposes, and not voltage gain, you don't get much tubiness out of it. FWIW, at least with my noval lissts, I haven't found them to be great as cathode followers in my freya n, so I almost wonder whether it would be worth using a lisst in the saga as a buffer.

I have however owned a saga s and that thing did a great job driving an amp in active mode. Might be worth giving that a try if you want to go the solid state saga route. Or maybe lyr+ with lisst if you're looking for tubiness 🙂
Maybe use my dac into Lokius, and use the two outputs from Lokius to Jotenheim 2 and my main headphone amplifier, since it has a attenuator. Then use the preouts from Lyr 3 to the Magician ... oh What is it called now I had it 3 times in row! These names are fun and all but I'm finding my grey matters less and less these days.

I'm supposed to be half Norwegian for f's sake.
Exactly and you get a bonus headphone amplifier.
And it's solid state.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #111,617 of 150,256
Big shows are of limited utility for us, because (a) we aren't looking for dealers, (b) we never seem to be able to time product announcements around them (c) they are very distracting--time, energy, and money-intensive. So this year we're looking to see what we can do with our own, small, personalized meets, where people can listen to our stuff...and can bring in rigs from other manufacturers as well.
The first time I heard the HD800 headphones properly driven was on Dan Clark's rig at a Nashville meet back in probably 2013 or so. Dan's rig was Yggdrasil -> Ragnarok and the music was Abbey Road. I was in headphone heaven ... an amazing experience. :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #111,619 of 150,256
I have a pair of AV123 ELT525M speakers that have been in a closet for 10 years. These were part of an office desk setup with a class D amp (Tweak City Gizmo). Not being well versed in this topic, would a BiFrost 2/64 > Lokius > Lyr3 > GJallahorn stack drive these speakers?

Frequency Response: ± 3dB to 20 KHz with -3dB at 60Hz
Crossover Point: 2200Hz
Slope: 2nd order acoustic
Impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 83dB @ 1w/1m

Thanks
If you are using them as a desktop system and not looking for very loud volume (aka. Wall of Sound pressure levels) GJ will do a nice job in that application. It is an easy load to drive, and ported which makes it more efficient sounding than the numbers suggest.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #111,620 of 150,256
For existing OP’s setup with Bifrost 2 / Sys / Vidar;
Bifrost is 2Vrms SE at max digital signal 0dBfs, Sys has max gain of 1 (0dB), and Vidar sensitivity is ~1.5Vrms. So Vidar will reach rated output of 100W on 0dBfs digital signal peaks only with Sys nearly maxxed out. But Sys has something like a 10d taper pot—at halfway 12;00 position, output voltage is only about 10% of input. Power (watts) into a given load falls off by the square of the percent reduction in voltage, so only 0.1 * 0.1 = 1/100th of max. For Vidar, 12:00 volume setting on Sys means just a bit over 1W on peaks. So Gjallarhorn should work just fine as an alternative to Vidar in this application.
Thanks!

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #111,621 of 150,256
I just asked in a PM about the Schiitkit. We should coordinate, I think there are enough of us in the triangle area (and perhaps some of the folks from Charlotte who organized the can jam a few years ago would travel?).
Asheboro claims to be the geographic center of the State. Thirty ish minutes to Greensboro, HighPoint, Lexington BBQ, An hour to hour and a half to Charlotte, Winston Salem Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Three ish hours to Asheville, Boone, Wilmington, Atlantic coast. State Zoo and Richard Petty Museum within 15 minutes. JMHO & YMMV :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #111,622 of 150,256
The first time I heard the HD800 headphones properly driven was on Dan Clark's rig at a Nashville meet back in probably 2013 or so. Dan's rig was Yggdrasil -> Ragnarok and the music was Abbey Road. I was in headphone heaven ... an amazing experience. :)
My local group uses them a lot for gear comparisons.

Getting back to helping @chronoso I am more apt to use a cable like this because of the size of their connectors.
iu

I am not volunteering to build any considering my current work load, but I do have some cable that would work nicely that I could gift you. You would have to know how to do a four wire round braid going into the connectors.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #111,623 of 150,256
Asheboro claims to be the geographic center of the State. Thirty ish minutes to Greensboro, HighPoint, Lexington BBQ, An hour to hour and a half to Charlotte, Winston Salem Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Three ish hours to Asheville, Boone, Wilmington, Atlantic coast. State Zoo and Richard Petty Museum within 15 minutes. JMHO & YMMV :)
Nice poker room and some camping nearby I think.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #111,625 of 150,256
No but the longest turntable spindle in Christendom.
Spindle envy?!?

Actually, it looks like a record changer. Y'know, where you'd put "stacks of wax" on the spindle, and as each record ended, the arm would swing out, the next disc would drop down, the arm would swing back in and drop - the music never stopped! Two-LP sets used to have Side 1 backed with Side 4, so that when Side 2 ended you'd just grab both LPs and flip 'em over. Geez, I'm old...

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #111,628 of 150,256
Spindle envy?!?

Actually, it looks like a record changer. Y'know, where you'd put "stacks of wax" on the spindle, and as each record ended, the arm would swing out, the next disc would drop down, the arm would swing back in and drop - the music never stopped! Two-LP sets used to have Side 1 backed with Side 4, so that when Side 2 ended you'd just grab both LPs and flip 'em over. Geez, I'm old...
I remember those, they were mostly found in the old ‘console‘ stereos of the 50‘s and 60’s. With that spindle you could stack 7 or 8 LP’s.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #111,629 of 150,256
Ok, so it looks like there is some interest in an NC gathering. How do we coordinate/organize? IIRC there was a separate forum on here for the CanJam in Charlotte - anyone know how to create a forum for an NC gathering?

Asheboro maybe the geo centre, but that's about all it has going for it other than the zoo (which IS fabulous) and an aviation museum I haven't made yet!
My vote would be for the triangle or I would travel to Asheville or the mountains, though logistics (and getting Jason there....) might be more challenging!
If you are up for an NC gathering please indicate interest (that's not a commitment, just interest). I'm going wandering next week till the end of March, but will be online and am prepared to help with logistics and organizing. I wrote to Denise today to get details of what's involved in SchiitKit logistics etc......

Cheers

Graham

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #111,630 of 150,256
If you are using them as a desktop system and not looking for very loud volume (aka. Wall of Sound pressure levels) GJ will do a nice job in that application. It is an easy load to drive, and ported which makes it more efficient sounding than the numbers suggest.
Thanks. ordered

Wall of Sound listening is in a different room with 2 channel, these will be replacing JBL 308P MK II speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back