Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #111,631 of 152,180
How can you tell?
gjallar-inside.jpg

If my investigative reporting is accurate, the label says Transformer Corporation. Willits, CA
I was asking.

Toroid.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #111,632 of 152,180
2023, Chapter 2
Less Power, More Better

And so now there’s Gjallarhorn and Rekkr, and a whole bunch of people saying, “I don’t care I can get a Class D widget with like 100,000 watts that’s the size of a matchbook for $4, why are you making these crazy low-power antique-technology things?”

[...]

So will either produce enough volume for you? Well, if you’re worried about volume, and if you’re in a place where you aren’t gonna have unscheduled visits from law enforcement, I’d still go with Vidar. Specifically, one Vidar. Start there and see how you like it. It’s pretty much a universal amp. I use one with Maggie 1.7s. Great match. No need for monoblocks.

But…if you’re on a desk, or if you have efficient speakers, or if you have a small listening room, or if you’re talking about a desktop system…then you got Rekkr and Gjallarhorn to consider!

Ooo and here I am just finally have picked up some powered mini monitors to replace an aging Logitech 5.1 system at my computer, also finally giving me opportunity to use the Magni pre-amp functionality as volume control. Now I'm going to have to add considering the Rekkr driving maybe Elac DBR62s? 6 ohms and 86db sensitivity seems right in the little guy's capabilities?

As for volume-induced unscheduled law enforcement visits, thanks for the reminder of literally the only time I ever saw the local police in the tiny 600 person hill town I used to live in out in western mass. The mountain across the river valley made for a really nice reverb effect from my bass guitar amp. I can't help that I needed a lot of loud to make the echo audible, that's just physics!

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #111,633 of 152,180
Ok, so it looks like there is some interest in an NC gathering. How do we coordinate/organize? IIRC there was a separate forum on here for the CanJam in Charlotte - anyone know how to create a forum for an NC gathering?
Maybe someone should make a forum for gatherings in general?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #111,634 of 152,180
I'd come to NC! Definitely talk to Denise. She mentioned something about Asheville, but I'm not sure if that's a maybe or a reality.

Big shows are of limited utility for us, because (a) we aren't looking for dealers, (b) we never seem to be able to time product announcements around them (c) they are very distracting--time, energy, and money-intensive. So this year we're looking to see what we can do with our own, small, personalized meets, where people can listen to our stuff...and can bring in rigs from other manufacturers as well.
Very smart - marketing directly to those that already know and love your products. Loyalty recognition and support is what creates your tremondous following.

I spend waaay to much time here, but I love the banter and I love all the Schiit gear I have purchased this year - even with the extra expense of getting it to Canada.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #111,635 of 152,180
I was asking.

Toroid.jpg

The label was made in China. The transformer in the U.S.A. 🤪

Have you tried sourcing transformers, or even inductors lately? Very hard to find. Out of stock in many places. Even Erse Audio went under, and they were bought by the Chinese. It seems less and less product manufacturing in the U.S. One of the reasons I support Schiit. :grinning:

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #111,637 of 152,180
Has any one experience with Wharfedale Diamond 240 Tower speakers and if so, do you think that either of these two new Schiit amps along with a suitable pre-amp would be sufficient to power them in a Studio sized apartment? I am asking for a relative and I have NO experience with these speakers but I think their impedance might be an impediment to this union and I wanted to ask here but so many have much more experience than I in this area and I really do not want to "upset" family. :ksc75smile:

They are nice looking, especially so (to me) in walnut and that is all I could tell my relative, LOL!

Thank you!

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #111,638 of 152,180
I'd come to NC! Definitely talk to Denise. She mentioned something about Asheville, but I'm not sure if that's a maybe or a reality.

Big shows are of limited utility for us, because (a) we aren't looking for dealers, (b) we never seem to be able to time product announcements around them (c) they are very distracting--time, energy, and money-intensive. So this year we're looking to see what we can do with our own, small, personalized meets, where people can listen to our stuff...and can bring in rigs from other manufacturers as well.
Definitely consider the NC Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), which has many young and old techies and artists and is still the top 1 or 2 places for growth in the US, even in current times. It's an easy day's drive from all the big population centers from NYC/DC to Atlanta/Jacksonville. It's also been a market dominated by Audio Advice for 20 years (a good company, but the epitome of the dealer model), and a lot of local demand is likely built up for a non-dealer model. Audio Advice recently held its first Audiophile conference, and everyone was very impressed at the turnout; it almost filled the conference center. BTW, as someone who was in a very similar situation as you with a startup that ground its way to success, let me say your view and approach to big shows is spot on! Don't get tempted; they're not for Schiit.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #111,639 of 152,180
I remember those, they were mostly found in the old ‘console‘ stereos of the 50‘s and 60’s. With that spindle you could stack 7 or 8 LP’s.
I have also emailed Denise. Once we have a list of interested parties we can PM that group, to see who is willing to help with planning. Once we have a plan we can share with everyone.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #111,640 of 152,180
I was asking.

Toroid.jpg

MCI Transformer Corporation is in Willits, CA.

My guess is that MCI is a regular transformer vendor for Schiit. I would also guess that the transformer is the most expensive part in the amplifier. Sometimes you have to go offshore to meet performance/price requirements.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #111,641 of 152,180
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #111,642 of 152,180
MCI Transformer Corporation is in Willits, CA.

My guess is that MCI is a regular transformer vendor for Schiit. I would also guess that the transformer is the most expensive part in the amplifier. Sometimes you have to go offshore to meet performance/price requirements.
Yep, MCI does most of our transformers.

The EI and C-core transformers are made in Cali.

The Gjallarhorn toroids are (at the moment) made in their China facility. These were bought in early 2022. You try getting transformers in 2022 during the height of the supply chain craziness. It basically comes down to "can we get it? Yes? Where's it from? Who cares?"

The reality is this particular toroid will probably go to the USA, Mexico, or Sri Lanka in the future, depending on demand and cost.

The other reality is that transformers are so expensive now, don't be surprised if they come from other places in the future. Other places = Illinois, Texas, that kind of thing. Not necessarily overseas. Just not made in CA. Certain metal pieces have also gone insane. I'll be looking at ways to mitigate that (here in Texas), rather than simply shrugging and raising prices. Assembly has also gone insane. Probably going in-house on that. We'll see.

Bottom line, we'll continue to do as much here as we can...and even go more vertical. And spell out, on every product page, where things actually come from, ever since we were kneecapped with "Assy in USA." Fun fact: other countries have much, much, much looser standards for "Made in." Yes, including some very high tech, very western countries. You might be surprised how much wouldn't qualify for "Made in" if their products were made in USA.

Okay, editorial over. Cats and BBQ can be restored.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #111,644 of 152,180
Has any one experience with Wharfedale Diamond 240 Tower speakers and if so, do you think that either of these two new Schiit amps along with a suitable pre-amp would be sufficient to power them in a Studio sized apartment? I am asking for a relative and I have NO experience with these speakers but I think their impedance might be an impediment to this union and I wanted to ask here but so many have much more experience than I in this area and I really do not want to "upset" family. :ksc75smile:

They are nice looking, especially so (to me) in walnut and that is all I could tell my relative, LOL!

Thank you!

I must disclose I was a Wharfedale rep for 3 years and retailer for 12 years and still use them to this day.

Review

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #111,645 of 152,180
Signal path question for accomplishing Dual Mono Gjallarhorn: Lokius has RCA in to “Balanced” out, yes? Which would allow for a BF2 > Saga S > Lokius > 2x Gjallays chain? I know Nexus in Freya S is the better answer, but… I’ve been waiting for an affordable low power dual mono set-up for some DIYSG Fusion 12 tributes @ +/-98dB sensitivity. Could almost get away with Dual Mono Rekkr’s - but really want to experience some Continuity S magic and 30w/ch = midsize room face-melt sandwich .

Silly Idea for Silver Gjallarhorn - has Schiit ever considered a raw aluminum top? Maybe a limited edition? I‘m aware of the drawbacks and maintenance, but having worked in the cycling industry for years and maintaining vintage race cars, I‘ve done my fair share of raw polished/waxed aluminum - and embracing “patina.”

Silly Ideas for embracing the “horn” in Gjallarhorn - would Schiit ever consider a brass (or other raw metal) top? Stupid and kitsch, I know, but I’ve also polished some old trumpets - which looked pretty cool.

Last, and definitely worst idea - LTD raw metal Gjallarhorn edition maintains code name “Finkle IS Einhorn” (I haven’t heard Gjallarhorn pronounced and my brain keeps this popping up - too much Schiit on the brain).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back