Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #111,512 of 150,254
I had the Trenner & Friedl Sun for a week on home audition 4 years ago, as a candidate for a nearfield system I was putting together. Being tiny (8"high) and coaxial, I thought they might be perfect for nearfield.
Yeah, I listened to them from about 8ft away. Definitely not nearfield. My arms are unusually long not that long :-D

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #111,513 of 150,254
Not yet. If it does well, we'll do some silver. Silver paint is easy, silver grain is hard. Best to start with black. Unless you guys want purple or something? We could do that. (Please say no.)

Tyler seems to be totally happy with Rekkr for KEF LS50s, which I think is pretty bonkers. I use Gjallarhorn with SVS Ultra Satellites in Cali.
Schiit yeah I want Purple!!!

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #111,514 of 150,254
Talk about impeccable timing. I've been considering an inexpensive 2 channel setup for my turntable. I've also been considering an even smaller 2 channel setup for the kids room.

Am I missing something here....I should be able to run a turntable into a Mani, then Mani into a Rekkr/Gjallarhorns to speakers right?

Edit I still need a preamp for volume control.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #111,515 of 150,254
Talk about impeccable timing. I've been considering an inexpensive 2 channel setup for my turntable. I've also been considering an even smaller 2 channel setup for the kids room.

Am I missing something here....I should be able to run a turntable into a Mani, then Mani into a Rekkr/Gjallarhorns to speakers right?

Edit I still need a preamp for volume control.
SYS.

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #111,517 of 150,254
I'd also like to know how the GJALLARHORN sounds compared to an Aegir. I could get two for less that the Aegir but then I would need to upgrade/downgrade my Lyr 3 to get balanced outputs. At the same time, with my Zu Omen IIs one might be enough in my 11 x 11 foot room even though I do not listen near field.

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #111,518 of 150,254
Can I use my Freya+ to run balanced signal over a long distance into 2 of the R's or G's? (r and g is as far as I can go for now).

I assume not, just double checking I read Jason's post wrong I think.
It should work into two Gs (but not Rs) since balanced cables are usually quiet even over some distance.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #111,519 of 150,254
I'd also like to know how the GJALLARHORN sounds compared to an Aegir. I could get two for less that the Aegir but then I would need to upgrade/downgrade my Lyr 3 to get balanced outputs. At the same time, with my Zu Omen IIs one might be enough in my 11 x 11 foot room even though I do not listen near field.

I've been waging an endless internal debate over a new amp for my Zu. Mainly Aegir vs tube amp(s). Glallarhorn sure seems like a nice, cheap option for them.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #111,520 of 150,254
So.....it seems Gjallarhorn would be a good match for the KEF Q150s that just went on sale? Or better to start with one Rekkr, and add a second if more volume is required?
I'm really loving the sound I'm getting from a pair of Q150's that I'm using in a near field set up powered by an Aegir, wonder what a Gjallarhorn would do in that same set up.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #111,521 of 150,254
I've been waging an endless internal debate over a new amp for my Zu. Mainly Aegir vs tube amp(s). Glallarhorn sure seems like a nice, cheap option for them.
I use an Aegir now and love it but it is pretty big. Switched from a Vidar to Aegir after I got my Zus and am happy with the difference. Also recently upgraded from Modius to Modi Multibit 2 and that was also a nice step up in sound quality.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #111,522 of 150,254
I was thinking something similar. It would make an awesome amplifier alternative in a flea powered system (am I using this terminology correctly?). I would probably opt for the Aegir however I would not knock it as an alternative depending on your priorities and you certainly wouldn't be out an arm/leg if you were to give it a shot.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #111,524 of 150,254
I have a Modius and Magnius still in the boxes. Add a Gjallarhorn or two, on a tiny desktop rack with Harbeth P3ESRs and I'll have a killer lil' system. 😉

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #111,525 of 150,254
Jason, does the Schiitr stock the Texas built products? I’m going to be in SoCal in early March, and since I’ll be close…:relaxed::relaxed:
I don't believe the Schiitr has product for sale at all but maybe they carry some of the small stuff. However, if you pre order you can have it waiting at the Schittr for you to pick up. I did this with both my amps so that they wouldn't get beat up by UPS/FedEx. But then I live about 20 minutes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back