Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #109,636 of 152,712
Hey all,

I said we'd have a couple of new things this month, and that might still happen. Getting into production is a bit slower than expected, but things are moving along well. By this, I mean:
  1. We have boards for one of the crazy products, bottom chassis for both, and top chassis for one. Unfortunately none of them line up to complete products yet. Still hoping for February. We'll see.
  2. We have boards for the craziest product of all, but no chassis. The chassis on this one is a bit more complex. We'll see when this hits. Maybe all 3 crazy/craziest will hit at once.
  3. Urd drives came in and were wrong because we ordered the wrong ones. We swapped those for the more expensive metal drives and then discovered the control board is wrong, but that wasn't our fault. So still dealing with normal stupid getting-to-production stuff on that.
  4. I'm getting production documentation going on MJ3, which is the boring part, but it needs to be done. Fingers crossed for summer.
In the meantime, there are a ton of under-the-hood changes going on here, all based on data we've been gathering from ERP and online marketing/ads/channels. Most of this is not very exciting. That said, we are looking into something to address our biggest out-of-control cost: PCB assembly. As in, we're looking at doing some boards ourselves. We have a handful of high-production boards that may prove practical to do assembly ourselves.

This is very important, because of all the crazy inflationary cost increases we've seen, assembly is by far the craziest. Now, things may calm down this year as the economy cools off and PCB assemblers start getting hungry again (we've already seen this starting elsewhere), and we may decide not to do it, but the preliminary estimates and projected savings make this definitely worth investigating.

If we do this, we'll have greater control of our production, and more of it will be done by us. Both of these are exciting possibilities, but they're also tempered by having to staff and maintain a new portion of the business. So, again...we'll see.

In other news, I've decided to start poking at a higher end phono preamp.

(STOP. Don't get excited. If you're looking to get a Mani 2, buy with confidence. IF we do something else, it will be MUCH more expensive. Note the "IF" and "MUCH.")

So...keeping this open ended, what might you want to see from a higher end Schiit phono preamp?

And...making this more pointed, let's talk:
  1. Multiple inputs (is this really important?)
  2. Simple vs complex (how many gains and how many loads do you really need?)
  3. Discrete vs op-amp (thoughts, do you care?)
  4. Balanced vs SE (system matching, don't care, gotchas?)
  5. How important is great MC vs MM performance (and vice-versa?)
You may notice I haven't mentioned tubes. It's not that I don't like tube phonos, it's just that, if done right, they'll be more limited. As in, if you want to have a pure tube phono preamp with passive RIAA, you'll need a separate MC stage or SUT, and you'll need to stick to one type of tube for rolling unless we use lots and lots of tubes, etc.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Looking forward to any input.

And, again: IF it happens. MUCH more expensive. Mani 2 is a fantastic phono pre. It took me a long time to be convinced we should look at anything else.

All the best,
Jason
I’m partial the PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier. $3K is a lot but if Schiit can get the price below half, I think you’d have a winner.
https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-phono-preamplifier/

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #109,637 of 152,712
That was one terrific tuner, owned one back in the 90's. When I moved in 2004 it turned out I was right smack dab in the usual approach pattern for Willow Grove NAS and it played havoc when trying to listen so eventually I sold it. They made a nice whip style FM antenna too, I still have that packed away somewhere.

Their latest offerings look very eye-pleasing https://www.magnumdynalab.com/
Agreed. I am fortunate to have a couple of public radio stations that offer good programming and a clean broadcast signal with good dynamic range in my area. I do use an external multi element FM antenna on my roof to feed the tuner.

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #109,640 of 152,712
You may notice I haven't mentioned tubes. It's not that I don't like tube phonos, it's just that, if done right, they'll be more limited. As in, if you want to have a pure tube phono preamp with passive RIAA, you'll need a separate MC stage or SUT, and you'll need to stick to one type of tube for rolling unless we use lots and lots of tubes, etc.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Looking forward to any input.
Personally, single output and input are fine for me. SE makes sense; balanced seems overkill.

I prefer tubes like my pro-ject tube box s2; I like multiple gain stages and run my Sumiko Moonstone at an odd gain of 50db.

Maybe use 6SL7? Possibly a discrete MC stage as well; consider modular (with or without option).

Integrated Jil?

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #109,643 of 152,712
Hi @Jason Stoddard. Thanks for asking!

1.) I have one TT and one tonearm, so one set of SE inputs is fine. I am sure that others, like my friend @OldRoadToad, would like 10 inputs :)
2.) I use a Clearaudio MC cartridge, so I need 60db gain. I could use another 6db gain in my setup, but not sure if that would get problematic from a noise POV. Capacitive loading of 200 & 300pF would likely serve most MM carts, right? For resistive loading, discrete steps would be fine (with me) - my current phono pre goes from 30 ohms to 2k ohms in 15 steps (and does 50k and 100k just in case). DIP switches for setting loads would be fine, for me... on the back panel, where the power switch lives. Speaking of that... have you thought about battery operation? I have a Yee preamp that runs for ~4 hours on a charge, and re-charges seamlessly.
3.) "Make it like my OG Yggy A2" - you won't go wrong. I still can't believe how amazing analog that DAC sounds. But I digress...
4.) It would be wonderful to have both SE and balanced outputs; Yggy OG's output circuitry would serve well, yes? Out as balanced, sum for SE.
5.) Favor MC, IMHO. Seems to me that if you do, it's easier to cut gain than add it? (guessing, bc I am not an EE) :)

Oh yea.. a dual mono layout - would you consider such a thing?

I would love a Schiit tube phono, but I don't want to add a step-up, so I am cool w/o tubes (sorry @Paladin79).

And, again: IF it happens. MUCH more expensive. Mani 2 is a fantastic phono pre. It took me a long time to be convinced we should look at anything else.
If you do this, it'll be worth the capital MUCH / MUCH capital, I'm sure. Thanks for all the great Schiit you've given us so far, man.

Pining for Urd,

-Don

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #109,645 of 152,712
Don't really see need for multiple inputs, and there's no point in balanced since everyone's table sends SE to their phono pre.
Not true, there are many. Search for "True Balanced Turntables". I know of two people using TTs from this manufacturer; a Signature 12 and a RPM 10 Carbon. They are both stunning, although @Paladin79 would likely favor the Signature 10 in the Satin Walnut Burl. As soon as I win the lottery <g> (ok. maybe right after I order the GT3 RS...)

I'm much more pumped re: the potential for a phono pre that has balanced outputs. with a Class A FET summing stage for SE out... hey, wait - that sounds like familiar Schiit!
Plus it could give me 3db extra gain... or is it 6?

If you are doing high end, MC is probably a must IMO.
As a long time MC guy, I think that you owe it to yourself to hear the difference on a decent rig. My system is not high end, but the difference between MM and MC (when gain matched) is palpable. Micro-dynamics are just sick, IMHO. If you ever come to NorCal, reach out. You're welcome to come by and hear the difference; I have multiple alcohols and a nice Weber grill, too. /d

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #109,646 of 152,712
Not true, there are many. Search for "True Balanced Turntables". I know of two people using TTs from this manufacturer; a Signature 12 and a RPM 10 Carbon. They are both stunning, although @Paladin79 would likely favor the Signature 10 in the Satin Walnut Burl. As soon as I win the lottery <g> (ok. maybe right after I order the GT3 RS...)

I'm much more pumped re: the potential for a phono pre that has balanced outputs. with a Class A FET summing stage for SE out... hey, wait - that sounds like familiar Schiit!
Plus it could give me 3db extra gain... or is it 6?

As a long time MC guy, I think that you owe it to yourself to hear the difference on a decent rig. My system is not high end, but the difference between MM and MC (when gain matched) is palpable. Micro-dynamics are just sick, IMHO. If you ever come to NorCal, reach out. You're welcome to come by and hear the difference; I have multiple alcohols and a nice Weber grill, too. /d
I noted later that there are some, although I wouldn't say many. And very confused about your last comment. I said MC capability was probably a must.

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #109,647 of 152,712
For those of us that are in the dog house😐
(My wife isn’t happy with my headphone hobby spending)
I had that problem for a long time, but now I spend freely. :p
YMMV, of course. If that's the only reason she sends you to the dog house, she is definitely a keeper!

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #109,648 of 152,712
Aw man, I would love for Schiit to get into the speaker game!
I would pre-order a pair, 50% down, right now. You guys all know that they would be great. #investment

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #109,650 of 152,712
Soldered jumpers. Or just posts so you can add your own resistors and capacitors. That'll be fun.
Ooooh - a baggie with a couple of caps (x 2), two dozen resistors (x 2), and two pair of alligator clips - for setup. And a couple of inches of Cardas Silver solder for the final installation. @bcowen is in, I'll bet. Three-ply cardboard case optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back