Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #109,666 of 155,069
I really like my Parks Puffin DSP phono preamplifier on my Sony PS-X75. Crazy adjustability and very good sound. I wonder how far you-all could take a similar product. Multiple inputs; single tube/ss like Lyr and/or balanced/se outputs? Love to have an upgrade to the Puffin, (as good as it sounds). I use a Mani 2 with my TD-125 and am happy with that combo so far.
Btw, when is the GAN amplifier coming? I KNOW you've thought about one....:L3000:

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #109,667 of 155,069
I posted the other day (which I can't find for some reason) about my listening comparison of Yggy and Gumby. The difference is small, maybe 5% or less. I suggest saving for Urd, which I am doing to replace an older Oppo- BDP-93.

Key point: the sonic differences between Yggy and Gumby require a VG system to be able to really hear and appreciate. Like you I am banking on Urd being a notable improvement.
Thanks for this!

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #109,668 of 155,069
As time goes on I'll probably upgrade my speakers, amplifiers, or preamp. The one thing that will not change is my Gungnir Multibit OG. For me, it's that good.
I agree. The Gumby has reacted well to my system upgrades so far. Only had it a year and a half though. And the Gumby/Freya+ stack looks SO nice in the rack!

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #109,669 of 155,069
Hi @Jason Stoddard. Thanks for asking!

1.) I have one TT and one tonearm, so one set of SE inputs is fine. I am sure that others, like my friend @OldRoadToad, would like 10 inputs :)
2.) I use a Clearaudio MC cartridge, so I need 60db gain. I could use another 6db gain in my setup, but not sure if that would get problematic from a noise POV. Capacitive loading of 200 & 300pF would likely serve most MM carts, right? For resistive loading, discrete steps would be fine (with me) - my current phono pre goes from 30 ohms to 2k ohms in 15 steps (and does 50k and 100k just in case). DIP switches for setting loads would be fine, for me... on the back panel, where the power switch lives. Speaking of that... have you thought about battery operation? I have a Yee preamp that runs for ~4 hours on a charge, and re-charges seamlessly.
3.) "Make it like my OG Yggy A2" - you won't go wrong. I still can't believe how amazing analog that DAC sounds. But I digress...
4.) It would be wonderful to have both SE and balanced outputs; Yggy OG's output circuitry would serve well, yes? Out as balanced, sum for SE.
5.) Favor MC, IMHO. Seems to me that if you do, it's easier to cut gain than add it? (guessing, bc I am not an EE) :)

Oh yea.. a dual mono layout - would you consider such a thing?

I would love a Schiit tube phono, but I don't want to add a step-up, so I am cool w/o tubes (sorry @Paladin79).

If you do this, it'll be worth the capital MUCH / MUCH capital, I'm sure. Thanks for all the great Schiit you've given us so far, man.

Pining for Urd,

-Don
I have solid state phono preamps but I prefer tubes and thus run a Cary with 6SL7's. Were I to go with solid state a Mani would be something I would consider, I have heard one on a friends system. :ksc75smile:

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #109,670 of 155,069
Now that is something that I'd be willing to torture my wallet for...
It is unlikely to happen but it is something I would enjoy. After a career in electronics most everything I do now has woodworking or metal working involved. I considered refurbing old Audio Technica and Thorens turntables but there are plenty of people doing that. :ksc75smile: Once I finish with current projects I may make a few headphone stands, I like to stay busy.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #109,671 of 155,069
In the meantime, there are a ton of under-the-hood changes going on here, all based on data we've been gathering from ERP and online marketing/ads/channels. Most of this is not very exciting. That said, we are looking into something to address our biggest out-of-control cost: PCB assembly. As in, we're looking at doing some boards ourselves. We have a handful of high-production boards that may prove practical to do assembly ourselves.

Out of curiosity, is this a manual process where you hire people to assemble boards, or is it a matter of buying equipment to automate the process?

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #109,673 of 155,069
Out of curiosity, is this a manual process where you hire people to assemble boards, or is it a matter of buying equipment to automate the process?
Very equipment heavy (pick and place, IR reflow, optical inspection, etc). Still would need staff to run, though.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #109,674 of 155,069
Here’s an innovative idea. Little resistor/cap pods that users can swap and plug into the underside of the case. Simplifies the circuit board itself.

Andrew
Herron already did something like that as “loading plug”

1675436184707.png

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #109,676 of 155,069
Good morning! @Jason Stoddard the crazy and craziest new items will be continuous production or limited production?
Everything that sells well will be in continuous production. Things that don't sell well won't. That's the new reality across the line.

Limited production products will be clearly announced, and will be products that, ah, aren't for everyone. Like Folkvangr. And Mjolnir 3.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #109,677 of 155,069
Oh, and we're having a Schiitrmeet on the 9th...still trying to figure out the theme.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #109,678 of 155,069
what might you want to see from a higher end Schiit phono preamp?

And...

• Multiple inputs (is this really important?)
  • Simple vs complex (how many gains and how many loads do you really need?)
  • Discrete vs op-amp (thoughts, do you care?)
  • Balanced vs SE (system matching, don't care, gotchas?)
  • How important is great MC vs MM performance (and vice-versa?)
1- single input
2- super complex : more on that below
3- discrete vs opamp: don’t care as long as high headroom and ear-pleasing harmonic distortion pattern can be achieved
4- balanced: why not since you have Nexus? Also good for long cable run for some room setup requirement
5- both since either has sizable audience. Perhaps making separate MC head-amp and RIAA MM box? We have too few modern MC head amp choices

On “simple vs complex” - since you’ll have a microprocessor in the “super complex” scenario, how about throw in an ADC (Jil resurrected!) and do RIAA in digital?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #109,679 of 155,069
I posted this scenario in the MMb2 thread, but I'd like to inquire here also. Last night I let my wife hear a track playing on this setup. HD600 - MP - MMb2 - Laptop (the track was available on Spotify, so I used that. I know, I know) I just wanted to have her hear the sound change between MBC x8 and NOS mode without telling here any background other than knowing I changed something on the sound.

Anyhow, no matter what Sennheiser can of mine that I use, when the first track has instances that the piano keys are getting explosively slammed chords, I get a paper distortion sound in the headphones. The headphones sound fine testing on other artist tracks afterward, it is just on portions of this album when the piano gets gnarly. It goes from a modest volume to ear piercing in an instant. Would you suspect it is that the Senny drivers are just not up to the task of that recording?
EDIT : SOLVED! It is the recording and not related to my setup! Thank you @Daniel Johnston and @ArmchairPhilosopher

Alban Gerhardt / Markus Groh - Brahms: Cello Sonatas
Track 1: Sontate No. 1 pour Violoncelle et Piano en Re Majeur, Op. 78: I. Vivace ma non troppo

I forgot to mention my wife's response. She said the change to NOS mode made her feel like she was hearing the performance in the room. I've been having fun experimenting with both modes. At first I thought I was 100% MBC, but now I realize it depends on what I'm listening too.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #109,680 of 155,069

The *⚠️entire⚠️* chain matters.

Some artists and producers obviously understand this.
But most don't.
Or they do but can't be bothered.

…and—to be fair—why should they, when what feels like 99.9995% of the world's music consumption occurs through car stereos, laptops, phone speakers, cheap (but often also eye-wateringly-expensive-for-what-they-are-but-somehow-still-cheap-sounding—I'm looking at you, Apple!) ear buds and "smart" speakers, and bargain basement sound bars.
And of course not before it has been wrought through and mangled by a virtual smorgasbord of compression algorithms.

What am I trying to say with this?

No idea, as per usual.

Maybe I'm just really frustrated that so much music in genres I enjoy has been recorded and produced with all the dedication and care of a third-rate sausage factory. There inevitably comes a time in your audiophile's "career" when you hit the point where your system(s)'s accuracy outgrows the quality of the source material that you're given. That's frustrating because you have no control over it. And the further you take your system(s), the thinner your selection of "worthy" source material becomes.

Or maybe it's that I'm sincerely elated to be reminded every once in a while that—even though music has for the most part become a commodity that one consumes all day for dirt-cheap and without much (if any) thought or attention afforded to it—there are, after all, still producers and artists out there who actually care about recording methods and environments, sound quality, and that, when all is said and done, it is most of all about the emotional effect that they can (and will) evoke with the product of their work.

Now, cue at least half a dozen comments about "I listen to/enjoy the music, not the gear/recording!"
To that I say: All the more power to you, my friend! and that I am sincerely happy that you don't have to deal with this (admittedly as-first-world-as-it-gets) "problem."

But that doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of genres where the recording truly does matter—like classical, acoustic, and most jazz—where, for better or for worse, the objective quality and accuracy of the recording will vastly influence the subjective, emotional response a piece of music can affect in the listener. And based on the experience I have with watching how different people react to different levels of recording quality, this really seems to apply to most genres—and regardless of whether the listener is aware of the effect or attuned to differences in recording quality or if they're "just listening to the music."

That's really all this is about.

Plus: If the recording industry at large were to also care even just a tiny bit more about quality instead of only quantity, the music you already enjoy wouldn't suddenly become any less enjoyable to you. You wouldn't miss out on anything. But the rest of us—that small group of aurally hampered, us perpetually disillusioned chasers of an even just somewhat accurate reproduction of the art form we all can agree that we share a deeply felt connection to—would finally get a sorely needed bit of relieve.

I imagine a world where recordings like Rutter's Requiem, Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert, Ry Cooder's Buena Vista Social Club, Adam Ben Ezra's Hide And Seek, Jennifer Warnes' The Well, Dave Brubeck's Time Out, Yosi Horikawa's Vapor, or the 2014 remaster of Arne Domérus' Jazz at The Pawnshop were the norm, not the exception.

A boy can dream.

Oh well…
Now it's back to work for me. This Schiit doesn't pay for itself. Chop chop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back