Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #109,112 of 155,069
1674781111274.jpeg

Luna chillin’. Where’s a cardboard box when is needed @bcowen? 😹

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #109,113 of 155,069
Does it look like supply will still be available in one month?
availability a month from now is almost impossible to predict. However, if Jason posts about low stock at some point, then sales rate will shoot up rapidly and be out of stock soon.

if you have only used Delta-Sigma (e.g. Modi 3+, Modius) DACs and are interested in trying out Multibit & 8X ComboBurrito scaler / digital filter, then best to order one now. Note that the original mid-size Bifrost Multibit used the same ADI5547 D/A chip, but its ComboBurrito scaler ran at only 4x.

there may a be a confirmed recent MM2 purchaser near you-- you could try contacting fellow Schiitizens / Headfiers via PM to possibly arrange a quick meet up / listening session.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #109,114 of 155,069
availability a month from now is almost impossible to predict. However, if Jason posts about low stock at some point, then sales rate will shoot up rapidly and be out of stock soon.

if you have only used Delta-Sigma (e.g. Modi 3+, Modius) DACs and are interested in trying out Multibit & 8X ComboBurrito scaler / digital filter, then best to order one now. Note that the original mid-size Bifrost Multibit used the same ADI5547 D/A chip, but its ComboBurrito scaler ran at only 4x.

there may a be a confirmed recent MM2 purchaser near you-- you could try contacting fellow Schiitizens / Headfiers via PM to possibly arrange a quick meet up / listening session.

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #109,117 of 155,069
Due to circumstances that aren't really relevant to you all, I got about 10 days behind in this thread. And just got caught up.

My advice is:

DO
NOT
EVER
DO
THAT.

(You're welcome.)

Loved the reminder of the Transmorgifier. Back in the day, I recall writing a few memos describing things (or processes) as being transmorgified. I guess everyone I worked with understood the term.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #109,118 of 155,069
Due to circumstances that aren't really relevant to you all, I got about 10 days behind in this thread. And just got caught up.

My advice is:

DO
NOT
EVER
DO
THAT.

(You're welcome.)

Loved the reminder of the Transmorgifier. Back in the day, I recall writing a few memos describing things (or processes) are being transmorgified. I guess everyone I worked with understood the term.
Welcome back 🙏

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #109,119 of 155,069
If done as a casting, it could be cost-effective, after the initial $100-150K or so in tooling. Pricing for castings is heavily figured on weight, so if you can tolerate the relatively crude cosmetics, it can be a very good way to make something.

If done as CNC from billet, yeah, that's 100% bonkerstown.
the Mission 777 amp was released in 1982 and cost £600.00 it measured well , had realistic specs and was well received by the HI FI press at the time - the case was cast with a screw on lid . The matching 776 pre- amp was the same casting but had the controls buried within the huge cast-in letters !!
1255103-be7554f4-mission-776-preamp-amp-777-amplifier.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #109,120 of 155,069
[rant]: amplifiers. I'm a fan of big-iron class A/B power amps with minimal doo-dads and lighting and bling, which is why if I still had a 2-channel listening space I'd already own a set of Tyrs as they are about my ideal amplifier design, both physically and electronically. That Mission thing reminds me of the D'Agostino excess of looks over function. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that Mission is a great amp. But I suspect the price would have been 20% less in a more standard chassis. [/rant]
Cast case - Amp cost £600.00 in 1982 - at the time it was considered as a bit of a bargain compared to the Krells etc of the day - totally agree that simplest tend to sound bestest in terms of bang fer yer buck !!

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #109,121 of 155,069
Pretty much all current DACs, including the NOS ones I own/have owned, have a post-D2A low-pass analog filter, although varying in steepness depending on the DAC. Ideally, the digital source is upsampled to such a high rate that reconstruction high-frequency artifacts are well above the hearing band, so a very gentle analog filter is enough to filter them out without affecting the hearing band. I think that's what you are saying in the second paragraph above. However, from experience with other NOS DACs, I'll say that external upsampling to 192K PCM can make an interesting difference, although (as I've written elsewhere), I'd rather have Schiit's own "burrito" filter for a Schiit DAC, for the reason you give as well as just for the fact that the whole system (upsampling, D2A chips, analog circuitry) were carefully matched. OTOH, certain choices of NOS DAC and compute-intensive upsampling/modulation can yield great results, to my taste even better than OG Yggdrasil. But you pay in cost and complexity.

Something I’ve long wondered is how the upsampling is done. Is it a linear interpolation between any two points or some sort of spline that goes through multiple points? I would think the latter could help reduce the filtering requirements but might have a difficult time with transients.

Ray

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #109,122 of 155,069
Something I’ve long wondered is how the upsampling is done. Is it a linear interpolation between any two points or some sort of spline that goes through multiple points? I would think the latter could help reduce the filtering requirements but might have a difficult time with transients.

Ray

Such are the shortcomings of digitizing music.

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #109,125 of 155,069

Ray
I believe that in Schiit‘s True Multibit DACs the interpolation is done by Mike’s unique MegaComboBurrito Filter which creates the interpolated samples using its dual time- and frequency-domain optimisation, rather than a simple geometric interpolation algorithm. This filter is a key asset for Schiit, based on many man-years of work, and they are obviously not willing to provide details.

Regards, Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back