Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 8, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #107,581 of 153,033
Managed to do a comparison of my old-vs-new stack comparison. Switched to black finishing and as a result bought an entirely new stack (MM2 + Magni 3+). Old stack was a Magni 3 + MM1 (version 1 firmware). Allowed the MM2 to be turned on for 6 hours before listening.

Couldn't do an A/B comparison as I sold my old stack before the new ones came in. But listening to my reference tracks (against a HD6xx) and there is a very notable difference. The new stack is a tad less warm, much greater dynamic range, more attack(?) and a quieter noise floor. Apologies for the limited audio vocabulary. Obviously I won't be able to attribute if the differences are from the DAC, amp (or both) but jargon aside it made my music a lot more enjoyable.
this is the important part " it made my music a lot more enjoyable."
Super!
:>)

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #107,585 of 153,033
I hear ya. I had to be certified by the Navy for government contracts requiring soldering.
You got it, I can recall three occasions when the knowledge helped. It did not hurt when I taught electronics to employees as well.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #107,586 of 153,033
this is the important part " it made my music a lot more enjoyable."
Super!
:>)
Thanks! I've learnt the importance of enjoying your music (with what you have) rather than blindly chasing for equipment.

Also realised the Unison USB implementation is a lot more robust. Used to get some weird RF interference with the MM1 (I could hear occasional buzzing from my mouse movements) but MM2 has been clean and RF free thus far. Not to mention the MM1 was using a fancy Furutech USB cable, with the MM2 using a cheap (unshielded) USB-C cable.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #107,587 of 153,033
Listening this morning to a remastered Beatles Album "The Beatles".
Using the new MMB2 and Piety amp with D8000 Pros.
This recording is a really rare one of that when recording the recording studio ambiance was left intact.
Reverberations, sounds bouncing around etc..
Lovely to me.
You can almost visualize George Martin in the console room....watching the Fab 4 do their thing!
Versus a clinical studio album where folks are in rooms, padded etc and its all mixed at a console to produce
a certain sound.

This is old school to me...try it you might really like it!
lol
Alex

1673196252971.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #107,588 of 153,033
Jan 8, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #107,590 of 153,033
Whew, if you were really mad, you'd take back everything of some of what you said. Glad you two worked it out.
When he threatened the cardboard, I had no choice but to grovel. He's probably still mad that Carolina almost beat Indiana at basketball back in November. :thinking:

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #107,591 of 153,033
I have made a few, I have my preferences on internal wiring of course. Years ago I went through a six week soldering course that Kester presented so I tend to do ok.🤪 Time is what I lack. PrimaLuna meets my needs in a tube power amp.

Today I heard a couple DAC’s that should match up well, late tomorrow I will discover the brands and models.😉😉
Hope the winner is the ALL tube DAC - tubes for the analog section and digital leftover burrito filter. The vintage ENIAC-DAC, in the million bored feet carboard box using 5% of @bcowen's Foton collection - just 256,000 tubes. :beyersmile:

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #107,592 of 153,033
I'm planning on adding a Vali++ to get the tube sound. My headphones are Grado 325e, my source is usally FLAC files from my phone. I currently use a Fulla E as my DAC/amp. Do I need to upgrade to the Modi+ as my DAC? Is the Modi+ likely to be an audible improvement considering the rest of my source/equipment chain?

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #107,593 of 153,033
Anyone have a picture of the bottom of an Aegir chassis? May need to utilize taller feet if i get them and want to know what it's like (ie Folkvangr makes it slightly tricky to do this due to shape, etc)
Here ya go:

bottom of aegir chassis.jpeg

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #107,594 of 153,033
I'm planning on adding a Vali++ to get the tube sound. My headphones are Grado 325e, my source is usally FLAC files from my phone. I currently use a Fulla E as my DAC/amp. Do I need to upgrade to the Modi+ as my DAC? Is the Modi+ likely to be an audible improvement considering the rest of my source/equipment chain?
I would use the Fulla E as the DAC for the Vali 2++ first, to see if you like it and it's good enough for you.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #107,595 of 153,033
I have those phones. They are almost permanently plugged into an Asgard 2, second choice is a hybrid amp with a tube. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back