Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #106,366 of 149,543

My son is used to his home bar, I can’t compete.🤪 Generally we will just grab a very good bottle of scotch as well as a high proof bourbon when he visits. He often gives me Old Elk that is made for the Virginia liquor stores.

C6BCCBE7-9CB7-4E3D-9F75-77777F3C05CA.jpeg

My son is used to his home bar, I can’t compete.🤪 Generally we will just grab a very good bottle of scotch as well as a high proof bourbon when he visits. He often gives me Old Elk that is made for the Virginia liquor stores.
My pic is the corner of our basement "workout" room (which I should use far more) - we're planning a bar, around the corner & underneath the stairs as sort of a "speakeasy".

I've already got new Schiit picked out for it. :smile:

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #106,367 of 149,543
Where’s the Weller?
Next to a couple of cases of David Nicholson 1843 :beerchug:
1671798336104.png

The full proof and antique 107 are upstairs where I can keep an eye on them. :smile:

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #106,369 of 149,543
My favorite BarFly!

wendy.jpg

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #106,370 of 149,543
As of EOD yesterday, I'm off for the next 11 days. I'll be reachable today as one of my team closes a large deal and might need my assistance, but after today the laptop is powered down and the phone goes in a waterproof baggie and deposited in the downstairs toilet's tank 😉.

I've slightly reconfigured my reading room's headphone station a bit. I'm curious to see how the Vali 2++ compares with the Asgard 3. I moved the Piety to my non-work office on the main floor as I'll be hanging out in there doing things like posting here. The Freya N is an absolute game-changer and I'll likely get another one for the main entertainment center in the family room. The sound with proper tubes! It brought that tubey sound that I've read about that the Vali and my DAC only hinted at. It has a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 ECC88's from 1960 in there now, and I'll buy some more to have on-hand for when these give out. The difference in sound with the stock tubes was very good. These tubes take it to the next level.

The display is an Arzopa 15.6" 1080P portable that's powered by USB C. There was a 30% price drop a week ago so I jumped on it. It's sharp, bright, and perfect for what I want to use it for. The source for the music is an M1 Mac mini. I have an iPad stand with a clamp for larger iPad Pros that I'll use as it looks better. I have to dig the clamp out of the very back of the under-stairs box storage closet...

I'll pick up a Modi Multibit (or a Gugnir) sometime in the new year for the reading room. I'm in no big rush as my current DACs sound just fine. So, mission accomplished for Jason and the team at Schiit. Their affordability, quality, and 'bang-for-buck' got me back into the hobby and I'll be buying more. I need (hah!) kit for my main family room (looking at you, Tyr, Yggy) and when I get the next DAC I can start kitting out my work office. The Magni and the tubed DAC will likely start that stack.

Stay safe if you're getting that weather bomb that's starting to pound the Midwest-Great Lakes area. It's snowing heavily, the temperature is dropping rapidly here, and the wind is picking up. It's a great day to light the fireplace, pick up a good novel, and listen to some music in my Schiity little room.
1671801141961.png

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #106,371 of 149,543
As of EOD yesterday, I'm off for the next 11 days. I'll be reachable today as one of my team closes a large deal and might need my assistance, but after today the laptop is powered down and the phone goes in a waterproof baggie and deposited in the downstairs toilet's tank 😉.

I've slightly reconfigured my reading room's headphone station a bit. I'm curious to see how the Vali 2++ compares with the Asgard 3. I moved the Piety to my non-work office on the main floor as I'll be hanging out in there doing things like posting here. The Freya N is an absolute game-changer and I'll likely get another one for the main entertainment center in the family room. The sound with proper tubes! It brought that tubey sound that I've read about that the Vali and my DAC only hinted at. It has a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 ECC88's from 1960 in there now, and I'll buy some more to have on-hand for when these give out. The difference in sound with the stock tubes was very good. These tubes take it to the next level.

The display is an Arzopa 15.6" 1080P portable that's powered by USB C. There was a 30% price drop a week ago so I jumped on it. It's sharp, bright, and perfect for what I want to use it for. The source for the music is an M1 Mac mini. I have an iPad stand with a clamp for larger iPad Pros that I'll use as it looks better. I have to dig the clamp out of the very back of the under-stairs box storage closet...

I'll pick up a Modi Multibit (or a Gugnir) sometime in the new year for the reading room. I'm in no big rush as my current DACs sound just fine. So, mission accomplished for Jason and the team at Schiit. Their affordability, quality, and 'bang-for-buck' got me back into the hobby and I'll be buying more. I need (hah!) kit for my main family room (looking at you, Tyr, Yggy) and when I get the next DAC I can start kitting out my work office. The Magni and the tubed DAC will likely start that stack.

Stay safe if you're getting that weather bomb that's starting to pound the Midwest-Great Lakes area. It's snowing heavily, the temperature is dropping rapidly here, and the wind is picking up. It's a great day to light the fireplace, pick up a good novel, and listen to some music in my Schitty little room.1671801141961.png
I was loving my Vali 2++ with the GE 5670 5 red star tube but a NOS RCA Command 5670 took it to a new level. It reminds me of my RCA 12ax7 black plates. I haven't used my Asgard 3 since the Vali 2++ was delivered. Of course, this is purely subjective.

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #106,372 of 149,543
My pic is the corner of our basement "workout" room (which I should use far more) - we're planning a bar, around the corner & underneath the stairs as sort of a "speakeasy".

I've already got new Schiit picked out for it. :smile:
-7 Degrees F in "The Nati" (Cincinnati). We don't often get that cold. I will be cooking beans in a clay pot, it takes six hours or so. It is a good day to fuss around the oven.
bar stools.jpg

Minus 8 here, not a good day to leave your brass monkey outdoors. :ksc75smile:

My son went with a solid cherry bar top when he remodeled his downstairs. A friend of his came over from Japan to help tile and refinish the downstairs after a small flood. This was just after completion, he has since added a small freezer for making clear ice cubes.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #106,373 of 149,543

Stay safe if you're getting that weather bomb that's starting to pound the Midwest-Great Lakes area. It's snowing heavily, the temperature is dropping rapidly here, and the wind is picking up. It's a great day to light the fireplace, pick up a good novel, and listen to some music in my Schitty little room.1671801141961.png
While we're thankfully not getting as much fluffy stuff, we are getting enough wind and free sky water that I felt justified in telling my department I'll be WFH today. A rainy day writing procedures? I suppose it's a bit chilly in this room, time to turn on the space heater aka Folkvangr.

There are worse ways to spend the last day before a holiday weekend.

I think your bookshelf needs more Dragonriders of Pern.

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #106,374 of 149,543
Well, it's 16F/ -23C here on the Third Coast. No moisture so no frost or ice on anything. Oddly, the weather forecasters got the wind conditions completely wrong: the forecast was for 20 MPH winds all night and it was calm most of the night. Pretty amazing as the front was actually blowing through, though. The wind blew all the clouds out pretty quickly, but then the wind died.

As cold as it is, I wish I'd gone out to my Vacation Estate. I could have gotten some work done in anticipation of having visitors on Sunday. The cold doesn't bother me that much: I still have real cold weather clothes from my time in @Paladin79's part of the Lower 48, but I saw that forecast for the wind and decided to stay home. Can't do anything productive with a telescope if the wind is making it shake.

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #106,375 of 149,543
I was loving my Vali 2++ with the GE 5670 5 red star tube but a NOS RCA Command 5670 took it to a new level. It reminds me of my RCA 12ax7 black plates. I haven't used my Asgard 3 since the Vali 2++ was delivered. Of course, this is purely subjective.
I have some of the GE's. I should drop one in and try it again and really listen. There's an adapted Siemens ECC88 in there now. I'll look for some RCA's. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #106,376 of 149,543
While we're thankfully not getting as much fluffy stuff, we are getting enough wind and free sky water that I felt justified in telling my department I'll be WFH today. A rainy day writing procedures? I suppose it's a bit chilly in this room, time to turn on the space heater aka Folkvangr.

There are worse ways to spend the last day before a holiday weekend.

I think your bookshelf needs more Dragonriders of Pern.
I think I have some Dragonriders books on a shelf in another room!

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #106,378 of 149,543
I just added some more acoustic panels to my listening room and the difference is night and day. I love how much cleaner and more airy music is. More focused. I'm guessing I got rid of some signal bounce to have gained so much. And given the price of ATS panels I don't know why everyone doesn't treat their room well.
I'd love details please. I'm at that stage with my HT. PM me if you prefer.

Cheers

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #106,379 of 149,543
Next to a couple of cases of David Nicholson 1843 :beerchug:
1671798336104.png

The full proof and antique 107 are upstairs where I can keep an eye on them. :smile:
Oh my....that puts my few bottles to shame.

I go to Kentucky every May for an Austin-Healey weekend, and while there scour the liquor stores for both green and red labels. When you do see them, the prices are eye watering anymore.

At the Buffalo Trace distillery, you will find Weller T-shirts, Weller flasks (empty), Weller keychains, but no Old Weller to drink of any type.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #106,380 of 149,543
Oh my....that puts my few bottles to shame.

I go to Kentucky every May for an Austin-Healey weekend, and while there scour the liquor stores for both green and red labels. When you do see them, the prices are eye watering anymore.

At the Buffalo Trace distillery, you will find Weller T-shirts, Weller flasks (empty), Weller keychains, but no Old Weller to drink of any type.
My sister in law lives in a tiny Kansas town, and visiting a few years ago, I found many many green bottles at retail. Bought them all, brought them back. The following year, it was more scarce, but she found a decent amount over six months of looking for me and bought them for me to take home the next time I visited.

Can't find it there any longer. :frowning2: Here, in metro detroit, when you find green or red, it's 2X retail at minimum. Forget finding anything else here - except full proof: I'm in a bourbon club at a local liquor store and scored two barrel picks at state minimum pricing this year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back