Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #106,396 of 151,311
My sister in law lives in a tiny Kansas town, and visiting a few years ago, I found many many green bottles at retail. Bought them all, brought them back. The following year, it was more scarce, but she found a decent amount over six months of looking for me and bought them for me to take home the next time I visited.

Can't find it there any longer. :frowning2: Here, in metro detroit, when you find green or red, it's 2X retail at minimum. Forget finding anything else here - except full proof: I'm in a bourbon club at a local liquor store and scored two barrel picks at state minimum pricing this year. :)
One of my KY friends told me that Buffalo Trace will supply a state for a year or so, then move the production to a different one, due to the shortage of supply.

Who knew wheated bourbons would become so popular. Given the 8+ year gestation for a product, there's lots of scope for guessing wrong on the supply needs.

One another note, I did see two Pappy bottles for sale on my trip last year, one was $1100 and the other was $1400. I think Weller Antique 107 was like $180 at the same place. Wonder if they will still be there (and at what price) when I stop in next year.

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #106,398 of 151,311
I'll see you W.O.W. and raise you Dale Bozzio...

And on a more refined note...

Audrey Hepburn looking at LPs with some guy.
She couldn't sing, some of you may object?
Who cares? I reply. Had such a crush on her...
Merry Christmas, Schiitheads everywhere!

That some guy looks like Harry Belafonte (and she seems to be putting on his record.) I may also add, Dale Bozzio couldn't sing either, but Missing Persons was still a pretty great band! (I have their first two albums on Vinyl.)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #106,399 of 151,311
One of my KY friends told me that Buffalo Trace will supply a state for a year or so, then move the production to a different one, due to the shortage of supply.

Who knew wheated bourbons would become so popular. Given the 8+ year gestation for a product, there's lots of scope for guessing wrong on the supply needs.

One another note, I did see two Pappy bottles for sale on my trip last year, one was $1100 and the other was $1400. I think Weller Antique 107 was like $180 at the same place. Wonder if they will still be there (and at what price) when I stop in next year.
I saw a bottle of Weller green at an independent liquor store for $99! I told the clerk I could get the same bottle at the local chain liquor store for $30. He said go ahead.

Around 6 years ago I saw at a different independent liquor store they had a dozen bottles of the Old Weller 107 just collecting dust. I already had a bottle and didn’t think to stock up.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #106,400 of 151,311
That some guy looks like Harry Belafonte (and she seems to be putting on his record.) I may also add, Dale Bozzio couldn't sing either, but Missing Persons was still a pretty great band! (I have their first two albums on Vinyl.)
Guy's name is Alberto de Rossi. No, I don't know who he was, either. Pic looks to be from the late '50s, at a guess. Notice he's got a cigarette in his hand. :slight_frown:

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #106,401 of 151,311
As of EOD yesterday, I'm off for the next 11 days. I'll be reachable today as one of my team closes a large deal and might need my assistance, but after today the laptop is powered down and the phone goes in a waterproof baggie and deposited in the downstairs toilet's tank 😉.

I've slightly reconfigured my reading room's headphone station a bit. I'm curious to see how the Vali 2++ compares with the Asgard 3. I moved the Piety to my non-work office on the main floor as I'll be hanging out in there doing things like posting here. The Freya N is an absolute game-changer and I'll likely get another one for the main entertainment center in the family room. The sound with proper tubes! It brought that tubey sound that I've read about that the Vali and my DAC only hinted at. It has a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 ECC88's from 1960 in there now, and I'll buy some more to have on-hand for when these give out. The difference in sound with the stock tubes was very good. These tubes take it to the next level.

The display is an Arzopa 15.6" 1080P portable that's powered by USB C. There was a 30% price drop a week ago so I jumped on it. It's sharp, bright, and perfect for what I want to use it for. The source for the music is an M1 Mac mini. I have an iPad stand with a clamp for larger iPad Pros that I'll use as it looks better. I have to dig the clamp out of the very back of the under-stairs box storage closet...

I'll pick up a Modi Multibit (or a Gugnir) sometime in the new year for the reading room. I'm in no big rush as my current DACs sound just fine. So, mission accomplished for Jason and the team at Schiit. Their affordability, quality, and 'bang-for-buck' got me back into the hobby and I'll be buying more. I need (hah!) kit for my main family room (looking at you, Tyr, Yggy) and when I get the next DAC I can start kitting out my work office. The Magni and the tubed DAC will likely start that stack.

Stay safe if you're getting that weather bomb that's starting to pound the Midwest-Great Lakes area. It's snowing heavily, the temperature is dropping rapidly here, and the wind is picking up. It's a great day to light the fireplace, pick up a good novel, and listen to some music in my Schiity little room.
I like that little rack that you have there.

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #106,402 of 151,311
Guy's name is Alberto de Rossi. No, I don't know who he was, either. Pic looks to be from the late '50s, at a guess. Notice he's got a cigarette in his hand. :slight_frown:
Yes, that's Belafonte's "Calypso" album, 1956 RCA LPM she's loading on the player. My mother was a big fan of his. "Scarlet Ribbons" was her favorite song.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #106,405 of 151,311
He was a famous makeup artist. Worked with some of the major leading ladies in motion pictures in the fifties and sixties. Belefonte would have been two years Hepburns senior and looked nothing like this guy.

iu

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #106,406 of 151,311
Next to a couple of cases of David Nicholson 1843 :beerchug:
1671798336104.png

The full proof and antique 107 are upstairs where I can keep an eye on them. :smile:
I keep my Weller right next to Bifrost and Lokius. 🤣:laughing:

Weller.jpg

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #106,407 of 151,311
Next to a couple of cases of David Nicholson 1843 :beerchug:
1671798336104.png

The full proof and antique 107 are upstairs where I can keep an eye on them. :smile:
Weller could benefit from an improved label. I know you can’t judge a book by it‘s cover but at first glance I thought it was cheap whiskey! Obviously I’m not a connoisseur who knows the brand.

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #106,408 of 151,311
Weller could benefit from an improved label. I know you can’t judge a book by it‘s cover but at first glance I thought it was cheap whiskey! Obviously I’m not a connoisseur who knows the brand.
If they made it prettier it would just get harder to find and cost more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back