Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #106,426 of 152,968
To what end? Anyone with some hearing loss can't possibly determine which component they like?
I am not sure I understand your comment. I am not saying that people with various degrees of hearing loss cannot determine which component they like. I am saying their opinion may be different than someone with different hearing acuity. So I am saying that there is no objective evaluation of which components one such purchase, because everyone has slightly different (or a lot different) hearing ability, and different people have different amounts on money they are willing to spend to minimize small or inaudible differences, even if those differences are audible to someone else.

If you listen only to solo piano pieces.
As shown in the chart provided by FLTWS, the piano has a much wider range of frequencies than most other instruments. That is not to say that there is no music above 5K, but not as much as people think. But obviously if one is listening to electronic music, then it can go a lot higher.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #106,427 of 152,968
I had actually wondered about our glasses, made from different plastics, and the extra cost coating that I paid to have applied to my glasses. And our angle of view. What I love, is that none of us was deferential to the group. The mechanics and crane operator and PhD all argued about whether they’d seen a flame as equals, our group is just like that and I enjoy it.
I personally would be very hesitant about making a definitive judgment about whether a flame exists, just by looking at it.

Methanol, which is used in some kinds of race cars, produces an invisible flame.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #106,428 of 152,968
Weller is a cheap/inexpensive bourbon.....when you can find a retailer that sells it for MSRP.

The store I frequent is at or close to MSRP on most stuff, they limit the sale of the allocated stuff, meaning they put a few bottle of mixed product out at a time, and its random times and luck of the draw. If its not on the shelf they are "out of stock", regardless of what they have in the back room. They also limit the allocated bourbon to 1 bottle per person per day.

A few weeks ago I was presented with a conundrum. Two bottles that I had never seen in person. Weller Antique 107 or Weller C.Y.O.B.. Both for 55 dollars. I chose the 107...but after looking up the aftermarket CYOB prices I wish I had chosen differently... oh well.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #106,431 of 152,968
My goto scotch, Highland Park, is scarce in these parts (CT/MA). Picked up a Laphroiag 10 year original cask strength
I enjoy highland park 12, I have yet to come across a bottle of Laphroiag 10 cask strength. Instant buy whenever I see one, provided my budget allows.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #106,433 of 152,968
... As shown in the chart provided by FLTWS, the piano has a much wider range of frequencies than most other instruments. That is not to say that there is no music above 5K, but not as much as people think. But obviously if one is listening to electronic music, then it can go a lot higher.
High order harmonics continue on well above those points in the charts but at very reduced levels and at some point up the line you'll have to ask
the family dog for help evaluating the sound. And I agree, electronic music can produce sounds exclusive to the genre at both lower and higher ranges and intensities
than acoustic instruments, in general, can. Surprisingly to me I'm finding electronically created music is more consonant with the hearing issue I've developed
making my movie viewing that uses electronic music, in part or completely, more agreeable to my ears with my RAAL equipment. As to why? I have no clue.

Watched "Annihilation" the other day on BRD thru my RAAL amp and HP's with an assist from Lokius on the bottom end. It's electronic soundtrack is excellent, and interesting to me, and as best I can tell, with the exception of the few bars from CSNY's "Teach Your Children" from their "Deja Vu" album and a few solo acoustic guitar riffs, is all electronic. But even the CSNY selection sounded dam fine.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #106,434 of 152,968
As shown in the chart provided by FLTWS, the piano has a much wider range of frequencies than most other instruments. That is not to say that there is no music above 5K, but not as much as people think. But obviously if one is listening to electronic music, then it can go a lot higher.
The modern concert piano is the jack of all notes, master of none. Cringe-worthy in the highs - why they use it horror movies. And all upper harmonics in the bass, despite the over-sized waste of tonewood and 38,000+lbs of highly-tensioned steel strings. Primarily designed for 20th century concert hall warfare.

The forte piano was a more humane use of too many strings. :dt880smile:

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #106,435 of 152,968
I am not sure I understand your comment. I am not saying that people with various degrees of hearing loss cannot determine which component they like. I am saying their opinion may be different than someone with different hearing acuity. So I am saying that there is no objective evaluation of which components one such purchase, because everyone has slightly different (or a lot different) hearing ability, and different people have different amounts on money they are willing to spend to minimize small or inaudible differences, even if those differences are audible to someone else.

I have severe hearing loss in my right ear and some loss in my left. The thing I learned is that you can lose frequencies like teeth in a comb, not just the high frequencies. Hearing loss does not necessarily mean hard-of-hearing. Stereo imaging is out for me, of course. So I select mono output at the source.

I’m grateful that tried quality equipment because I can discern a difference. It may be more important to invest in quality when faced with limitations. Fortunately, the price threshold for quality is low. I said in another post that small changes maybe insignificant, but subtle improvements are dramatic if they enrich your experience.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #106,436 of 152,968
Over the past 6 years my favorite pastime when not focused on Mahler, Mozart, Mendelssohn, etc., etc., was comparing HP's and HP amps and other components. Spent many hours doing A/B and sometimes C, depending on what was in the racks and commenting on my takes. But no more, I can't trust what I hear anymore.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #106,437 of 152,968

A late generation pipe organ can cover the entire spectrum or more.

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #106,438 of 152,968
D3647B04-9D48-4934-8459-9254D7892D50.jpeg

Look what just arrived! Ignore the cable mess for now. Once I’ve done my ab testing tomorrow the modi 3+ will probably end up connected to WiiM pro in tv setup Or a bedroom headphone setup with an ieMagni. Currently playing music through it to let it warm up for awhile before doing any real listening.

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #106,439 of 152,968
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #106,440 of 152,968
No one, neither the programmer nor the QA tester, wants to see an important piece of software go into production with problems, that might endanger the success of the company they work for.

Unfortunately, those involved with development and testing aren't always able to determine / postpone the time of release until the software is stable / ready. e.g. mobile phone and gaming console operating systems to support next gen hardware releases for the holiday buying season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back