Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #106,069 of 150,811
My ears are broken then.
Use the simple rule: if two thingamajingies sound the same to you and the feature differences are not significant to you, buy the cheapest :wink:

Some folks prefer Gungnir over Yggdrasil LIM. Some think Bifrost 2/64 is an Yggdrasil LIM in a smaller box. Some think their amp has better synergy with Magnius. It’s all good!

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #106,071 of 150,811
Does all Schitt dacs sounds the same ? Especially their multi bit ones.
It depends on the rest of your chain. Is your amp transparent enough for the details to come through. Are your headphones or speakers capable of revealing those details?

On a budget amp and say $500 headphones, the difference could be very small. With a higher end amp and something like a Stax SR009 or Audeze LCD-5 you should hear a difference.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #106,072 of 150,811
It depends on the rest of your chain. Is your amp transparent enough for the details to come through. Are your headphones or speakers capable of revealing those details?

On a budget amp and say $500 headphones, the difference could be very small. With a higher end amp and something like a Stax SR009 or Audeze LCD-5 you should hear a difference.
I still hear no difference with strict a/b. So I guess you would need something like SR009 and LCD 5 to hear 2 % of difference.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #106,073 of 150,811
Dec 21, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #106,074 of 150,811
Dec 21, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #106,075 of 150,811
I still hear no difference with strict a/b. So I guess you would need something like SR009 and LCD 5 to hear 2 % of difference.
I find quick a/b switching isn’t very revealing. You need to spend time adjusting to the difference. I use songs I know very well. Then listen for new things. Depth of the image, background sounds, how natural it sounds, stuff like that. But if you don’t hear it then buy whatever fits your budget or is the best bang for buck. Everyone hears differently or values different things in their music. Nothing wrong with that.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #106,076 of 150,811
My ears are broken then.
Nah, mine are for sure and I can hear differences. What do you use to hear differences and what differences do you expect to hear?

P.S. The way I've heard differences:
  • Plug in new thing,
  • let new thing "burn in"/"reach stability" whatever that means for new thing
  • listen to something familiar, maybe multiple familiar things
  • see if you hear anything new, if not try another familiar thing
  • go back to old thing see if the new thing you hear is there
  • if it is, ruminate on why you never heard it before, find a different familiar thing to try again
At the end, if there are no differences, or the difference is unappealing, send back/sell more expensive thing.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #106,077 of 150,811
My ears are broken then.
Not a valid conclusion from that observation, if you ask me.
Try less strict a/b, listening for longer times in a more relaxed manner, reading the chapters that touch on blind listening - especially "Lighted by the blind". Or don't and save the money!

As with all reasonable hifi electronics: the differences are small. In some cases these differences come to the front and matter a lot despite being small in the grand scheme of things, but in many cases they get entirely lost.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #106,080 of 150,811
I find quick a/b switching isn’t very revealing. You need to spend time adjusting to the difference. I use songs I know very well. Then listen for new things. Depth of the image, background sounds, how natural it sounds, stuff like that. But if you don’t hear it then buy whatever fits your budget or is the best bang for buck. Everyone hears differently or values different things in their music. Nothing wrong with that.
Spent whole day and a/b as well, still no use. Lame excuse of needing higher end stuff or take some time to listen to stuff. Hearing differently is placebo and perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back