Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 20, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #105,946 of 151,180
Looking good for tomorrow for Modi Multibit 2!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 20, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #105,947 of 151,180
Sets alarm for 12:01 AM and F5... F5... F5... F5... F5... F5... F5... F5... F5... :D

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #105,948 of 151,180
Panasonic used to have a SA-XR series of AVR's. I believe they were Class D, but not really advertised as such. Regardless, mine sounded pretty decent. Much better when using a digital input.

Now, I also own one of those little Chinese Class D integrated amps. While it had a decent frequency balance, it had absolutely no depth of field, just a 2D sound field. Imagine an MRI of the music. Everything looked normal head-on, though when turned on edge, was completely flat. It only presented a single slice of sound. That's how that amp sounded. Not even acceptable for TV sound.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #105,950 of 151,180
Panasonic used to have a SA-XR series of AVR's. I believe they were Class D, but not really advertised as so. Regardless, mine sounded pretty decent. Much better when using a digital input.

Now, I also own one of those little Chinese Class D integrated amps. While it had a decent frequency balance, it had absolutely no depth of field, just a 2D sound field. Imagine an MRI of the music. Everything looked normal head-on, though when turned on edge, was completely flat. It only presented a single slice of sound. That's how than amp sounded. Not even acceptable for TV sound.

Odd. My cheap little Chinese class D desktop amp (Aiyima A07 w/ TI chips) has a very holographic sound, but then again, I'm using it with Tom's Radial speakers which throw a rather wide/deep soundfield. :wink:

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #105,954 of 151,180
My ancient NAD tuner is only used from Thanksgiving to Christmas, when one of our local FM stations transitions to “all Christmas.” Today the power button has died. I probably have 400 ripped Christmas songs but the nostalgia of a radio playing Christmas music is inescapable. Online stations are ok, but I’m considering shorting the existing switch and installing a toggle switch on the rear panel. It’s the obvious location.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #105,957 of 151,180
My ancient NAD tuner is only used from Thanksgiving to Christmas, when one of our local FM stations transitions to “all Christmas.” Today the power button has died. I probably have 400 ripped Christmas songs but the nostalgia of a radio playing Christmas music is inescapable. Online stations are ok, but I’m considering shorting the existing switch and installing a toggle switch on the rear panel. It’s the obvious location.
I was about to turn on some Christmas music as I help get our house ready for my son and his family coming here for the holidays. I could feasibly hook up an FM radio, I have some vintage Pioneer receivers in my shop, but Tidal is easier for now. :ksc75smile: Nothing against some of the newer Christmas renditions, but I search for a lot of music I grew up with or heard at a young age:ksc75smile:

Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Frank Sinatra, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Eartha Kitt, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, etc.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #105,958 of 151,180
Listening to an MSFL vinyl rip of "Let it Be" thru the yggy LIM and "For You Blue" comes on, with that slide guitar sound at the beginning. Stella's head snapped back toward the left speaker. That's how I know a DAC's good: if it fools her 🙂 When I used to run tv thru the BF2 or gumby, door knock or doorbell sounds would get her every time! Not so with other DACs.
Here is the slide guitar ... we just finished watching the "Get Back" documentary. Both George and John were fooling around with it ... John is the one who played it on the final take of "For You Blue." https://equipboard.com/items/hofner-5140-hawaiian-standard-lap-steel-guitar

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #105,959 of 151,180
Here's a selection of my favourite versions of my favourite Christmas songs, that I've listened to each December the 13th since at least 2016.
Tidal: https://tidal.com/playlist/63f6367d-a1fc-4b00-9685-a26fc4290f75
Spotify:

Song 2 in this list, O helga natt with Rongedal and S:t Johannes kammarkör, is both musically and sonically an absolute treat! I have a list with 22 versions of O holy night / Cantique de Noël, most of them but not all in Swedish, and I listened to many that did not make it into the not-so-shortlist. This one is clearly my favourite out of all of them. The Sophie Zelmani version is good for a change from the normal.

Songs 1, 3 and 4 had similar but not quite as extreme selection processes for this list. For the last two, nope, I have great nostalgia for those specific versions (and fewer alternatives exist).

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #105,960 of 151,180
Here's a selection of my favourite versions of my favourite Christmas songs, that I've listened to each December the 13th since at least 2016.
Tidal: https://tidal.com/playlist/63f6367d-a1fc-4b00-9685-a26fc4290f75
Spotify:

Song 2 in this list, O helga natt with Rongedal and S:t Johannes kammarkör, is both musically and sonically an absolute treat! I have a list with 22 versions of O holy night / Cantique de Noël, most of them but not all in Swedish, and I listened to many that did not make it into the not-so-shortlist. This one is clearly my favourite out of all of them. The Sophie Zelmani version is good for a change from the normal.

Songs 1, 3 and 4 had similar but not quite as extreme selection processes for this list. For the last two, nope, I have great nostalgia for those specific versions (and fewer alternatives exist).

Playing those through Tidal now, thanks so much for taking the time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back