Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #104,223 of 149,360
So many great concerts ... but this one wins it in my book.

My first live concert(s) were at the Valparaiso (IN) University Chapel and were all classical / chamber music. They were part of the Community Concert Series and my Mom was the program's director. I helped hand-out programs at the door. The best shows were when they played the organ :)

First rock concert - VU gymnasium - Edgar Winter in 1974. They played Frankenstein. We also saw the Harlem Globetrotters play a game there ... it was a rough show; Curly Neal had a heart attack and they had to take him to the hospital.

Valpo Chapel.jpeg
Oh my... I grew up in Valpo... also saw Edgar Winter at the gym... and Kansas, too! I graduated from Valparaiso High School in... 1975. Time flies!

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #104,225 of 149,360
Does the Ken Onion version allow you to sharpen the entire blade? I "ruined" my knives with an original work sharp not being able sharpen the entire blade length. I use KME now. Way slower, but better on my blades (at least the way I sharpen).
I use the blade grinding attachment and it does allow me to sharpen all the way to the ricasso.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #104,226 of 149,360
Nov 29, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #104,227 of 149,360
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #104,229 of 149,360
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #104,230 of 149,360
Re: Schiit customer service -
On 11/25, I ordered two Tyrs at BF prices. (I note they are off the Deals page this morn, so I'm glad I carpe'd the diem.) Checking the status of my order, it was marked "partially charged." Whuduzatmean? So, early this a.m. I emailed orders@schiit.com to inquire. By the next time I checked email at 9 a.m., Laurazamora had replied. She asured me all was well, that Schiit was refunding me $20 off shipping 'cuz it's cheaper to ship separate boxes. How cool is that? Just another reason I am pleased to do business with Schiit.
I wanted to post a public tip of the hat and thanks to Laurazamora for her prompt and professional work. And continued appreciation to Mr. S. for hiring good people, as well as making the gear we all enjoy. So...
112822thankuelvis.jpg

Oh, and all my Schiit has schiipped, so time to do some house-cleaning.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #104,231 of 149,360
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #104,232 of 149,360
Re: Schiit customer service -
On 11/25, I ordered two Tyrs at BF prices. (I note they are off the Deals page this morn, so I'm glad I carpe'd the diem.) Checking the status of my order, it was marked "partially charged." Whuduzatmean? So, early this a.m. I emailed orders@schiit.com to inquire. By the next time I checked email at 9 a.m., Laurazamora had replied. She asured me all was well, that Schiit was refunding me $20 off shipping 'cuz it's cheaper to ship separate boxes. How cool is that? Just another reason I am pleased to do business with Schiit.
I wanted to post a public tip of the hat and thanks to Laurazamora for her prompt and professional work. And continued appreciation to Mr. S. for hiring good people, as well as making the gear we all enjoy. So...
112822thankuelvis.jpg
Oh, and all my Schiit has schipped, so time to do some house-cleaning.

"schiiped"! Superb sir!

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #104,233 of 149,360
Oh my... I grew up in Valpo... also saw Edgar Winter at the gym... and Kansas, too! I graduated from Valparaiso High School in... 1975. Time flies!
Me, too. We were classmates. I'll PM you and we can reconnect ... cool. :)

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #104,235 of 149,360
2022, Chapter 14:
Hel Hath Frozen

So, for the first time in 12 and a half years, we’re doing a sale. Kinda.

This is partly because this year has been brutal in terms of inflation. Almost everything seems like it’s going up. You deserve a break from that. This is our counter, our give-back, our way of trying to make things a bit better at the end of a long crazy year.

If you’re interested, it’s at: https://schiit.com/b-stocks

And that’s where most companies would stop talking.

unnamed.jpg

Let us go on a bit.

Here’s the deal. Yeah, we are doing this because we love you. And we’re also doing it because we like tilting at windmills. And we’re also doing it because, to be totally frank, we gotta lotta schiit hanging around, and it needs to go.

“Aha, that’s the real reason,” someone says. “You somehow went from having nothing in stock to being overstocked. Idiots! How did you let that happen?”

And, you know, that’s a pretty decent insult. But why stop there? Why not take us to task for introducing a ton of new products (still a couple to go this year, maybe!), which is not exactly conducive to inventory control?

Here’s the reality: it’s tough planning in a normal year. And 2022 was, by far, the most bizarre year ever. We went from lockdown-stuck-free-money-buy-everything to, well, the inevitable hangover. We went from can’t-get-no-parts and can’t-get-no-line-time and how-much-extra-you-gonna-pay-for-that-run to can-get-most-parts and tons-of-line-time, and, probably soon, hey-you-got-work-for-us on the assembly side.

So planning for 2022? Oh yeah no nevermind.
  • Instead of introducing everything at the planned time, we had tons of delays
  • Instead of introducing everything we wanted to, we had the DSP debacle (and still do)
  • Instead of being able to count on several products, they went on hiatus or into redesign
  • Instead of a rational schedule of kitting and production, we got all stacked up
  • Instead of a normal summer slowdown, things got really slow
So, kinda a perfect storm.

Is this a problem? No. It just means stuff gets pushed to next year and we readjust. We run very conservatively, we don’t report to a board, we’re not public, so it’s not a big deal.

Aside: this is a reality of business. If you aren’t ready for a few bumps in the road, stay far away. We’ve been very lucky. It was still a great year, by many metrics. We still showed significant growth over pre-pandemic years, for example.

But we do have a bunch of stuff.

So, I thought, Maybe it’s time to move some of it out. Maybe it’s time to do a sale-ish kinda thing.

And that’s how you get what we’re calling “B-Stock Friday.” Except it’s not just B-stock, it’s also closeout and just some plain deals. And we’re cutting a lot harder than we normally do.

“But you said you’d never do sales!” someone cries.

Close. What I said is that you should never do sales. Which still stands. Don’t expect this to be a once-a-year thing. Don’t even expect this to happen again. Planning has already realigned 2023 (which means, yeah, if it gets bonkers again, expect backorders.)

In the meantime, enjoy the kinda-sorta sale!

I just bought my Aegir :relaxed: ... three months ago :unamused:.

I'm also pretty sure I read "We don't do deals" here: https://www.schiit.com/about/about/on-deals

We get asked all the time about deals, sales and other incentives, such as Black Friday specials, EZ credit, trade-ins, monthly payments, purchasing with 2 cards, and a whole raft of other “can I get a better price” questions.

So, here’s the deal: We don’t do deals.

Why? Because when you run sales, specials, financing, or other deals, it has exactly three results:

1. It makes everyone wait for the sales, so suddenly your company is addicted to them.
2. It makes everyone who bought before the sales wonder if they got screwed.
3. It makes everything cost more.

I'm #2 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back