Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #104,206 of 151,659
I have two expensive German knives and three cheap American carbon steel knives for my own cooking. I have cheap Chicago cutlery (Chinese) for the untrained barbarians. All get 20 degree edges. One of the Chinese knives came with 20 degrees on one side only, thus it is “twice as sharp” in the sharpened state. It is actually pretty good when sharp but the edge is very fragile. Most good old knives are worn away to nothing - I bought a 10” chef’s knife at a flea market for $4 that is not worn to a nub but appears to be from the late 1800’s. It gets scary sharp and is my daughter’s prize knife. The edge doesn’t roll easily but wears out faster than my German knives. 20 degrees for all.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #104,208 of 151,659
Apologies in advance for the sarcasm as I know most seek out this spot for advice about knives and cats and, sometimes, various Schiit... however, if you like stuff like "music", Roon is offering 3 months for 2 bucks. Could be a cool opportunity to fixate your nervosa on something other than tangible stuffs. Ends tonight. Technically, you're losing money and may end up with a smaller rash if you don't do it. Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 8.58.07 PM.png
Roonacy...Sheer Roonacy. I must pass.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #104,209 of 151,659
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #104,210 of 151,659
I have two expensive German knives and three cheap American carbon steel knives for my own cooking. I have cheap Chicago cutlery (Chinese) for the untrained barbarians. All get 20 degree edges. One of the Chinese knives came with 20 degrees on one side only, thus it is “twice as sharp” in the sharpened state. It is actually pretty good when sharp but the edge is very fragile. Most good old knives are worn away to nothing - I bought a 10” chef’s knife at a flea market for $4 that is not worn to a nub but appears to be from the late 1800’s. It gets scary sharp and is my daughter’s prize knife. The edge doesn’t roll easily but wears out faster than my German knives. 20 degrees for all.
My wife uses some very fine German knives; when I cook I use my own set that is a mixture of German and Japanese. I use a Nakiri for vegetables, it is made for slicing and chopping. My wife is starting to like that knife.😁

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #104,211 of 151,659
My Yggy is due to arrive tomorrow (230V), as it was bought via the deals page, is it likely there will be no power lead? Lol...😅 If so is there a recommended replacement I can order in the UK to avoid having to wait another ~week or so until Schiit ship me one (if needed).
I have ordered lots of Schiit gear direct from the States and it has always come with the correct power lead for the UK.
I bought my original Yggy here in the UK, but all of the following were bought direct:
Freya S
Lokius
Magni 3+
Folkvangr

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #104,212 of 151,659
My wife uses some very fine German knives; when I cook I use my own set that is a mixture of German and Japanese. I use a Nakiri for vegetables, it is made for slicing and chopping. My wife is starting to like that knife.😁
Let's hope she doesn't like the knife too much... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #104,213 of 151,659
Don't do that to your knives. 15 degrees isnt an appropriate angle for any knife.(yes some Asian chefs knives are double beveled with 15 degrees on each side but they're brittle and not for any chopping) Razors are typically 17 degrees. I have been making knives for over 20 years, I typically use a 22.5 degree edge on hunting and tacticals and a 20 degree on kitchen. The Ken Onion work sharp is easily the best sharpener for the money. Derail over.
Does the Ken Onion version allow you to sharpen the entire blade? I "ruined" my knives with an original work sharp not being able sharpen the entire blade length. I use KME now. Way slower, but better on my blades (at least the way I sharpen).

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #104,214 of 151,659
Apologies in advance for the sarcasm as I know most seek out this spot for advice about knives and cats and, sometimes, various Schiit... however, if you like stuff like "music", Roon is offering 3 months for 2 bucks. Could be a cool opportunity to fixate your nervosa on something other than tangible stuffs. Ends tonight. Technically, you're losing money and may end up with a smaller rash if you don't do it. Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 8.58.07 PM.png
Thanks! I will finally give it a try!

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #104,215 of 151,659
Let's hope she doesn't like the knife too much... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If she does I will make another. 🤪 It has no pointed tip so I have less chance of being stabbed with it.😉

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #104,216 of 151,659
I have ordered lots of Schiit gear direct from the States and it has always come with the correct power lead for the UK.
I bought my original Yggy here in the UK, but all of the following were bought direct:
Freya S
Lokius
Magni 3+
Folkvangr

Did you buy these as normal or from the deals page? Because the deals page doesn't give you an option to select the plug type.

To clarify I have ordered before directly from Schiit and had no issues but this is the first time ordering from the deals page.

Will find out tomorrow anyhow

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #104,218 of 151,659
Eight Freya N's are in closeout at this time so there seems to be a decent supply of them. :ksc75smile:

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #104,219 of 151,659
Eight Freya N's are in closeout at this time so there seems to be a decent supply of them. :ksc75smile:
Yup. Schiit has been rolling them out in batches of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back