Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #103,576 of 151,635
Here's some unpopular opinion, most rock concerts I've been to, while the ambiance is amazing, sound was never that great LOL.

Like rock concerts generally sound nothing close to their album tuning/clarity. It's generally just loud and noisy with instruments drowning vocal. But the feeling while being there is great though! And some bands do have better sound control than others.

Here's a list of concerts I've been to in no particular order: Taking Back Sunday, Straylight Run, Thursday, Saosin, Blink 182, Angels and Airwaves, Box Car Racer, Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, Against the Current, Paramore, No Doubt, and some other ones that I can't remember off my head LOL.

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #103,577 of 151,635
The Left Banke, in my high school's gymnasium, although I was in junior high at the time. My brother said it doesn't count: I'm not sure if he meant because of the group or the location.

I enjoyed it regardless, and if it doesn't count then my first concert was a triple bill of Mountain, The Jeff Beck Group, and the Savoy Brown Blues Band. In an indoor ice skating arena.

If that doesn't count because of the location, then my next concert would have been Woodstock. That definitely counts.

EDIT: my memory is not what it was - or maybe it's just because it was a really long time ago and my habits were different? :wink:
There were at least a few concerts I attended at the Fillmore East prior to Woodstock: The Incredible String Band, Jethro Tull, Blood, Sweat & Tears; maybe others?

I assume we're talking rock/pop concerts, however. If not, I saw a rehearsal for one of Bernstein's "Young People's Concerts" when I was about 11.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #103,579 of 151,635
Hell’s ducks man, no wonder you have issues! When did your friends and family do an intervention? 🤪

As best I recall I snuck into an Iron Butterfly concert, heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and left.🤪 Soon after I saw the James Gang, Joe Walsh. At least it was not pop music.

Oh and I did see Bob Dylan in the late sixties, then a couple times after that. Sonny and Cher did cover one of his songs.
I went unwillingly, drug along as part of the entourage for my older sister's birthday. But my second concert was Foghat / Blue Oyster Cult, if that helps. 🤣

I got to see Joe Walsh a long time ago at Walnut Creek in Raleigh. Totally awesome concert.

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #103,580 of 151,635
Now there's an interesting side bar for this thread, first live concerts.
The Beach Boys for me.
As an infant Chicago

12 Village People, soon corrected at 13 with AC/DC

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #103,581 of 151,635
I went unwillingly, drug along as part of the entourage for my older sister's birthday. But my second concert was Foghat / Blue Oyster Cult, if that helps. 🤣

I got to see Joe Walsh a long time ago at Walnut Creek in Raleigh. Totally awesome concert.
The best concerts I've been to are The Doobie Brothers over the years. The last one was a couple of years ago that my son and his wife took us to. We weren't smoking but the people around us were and by the end of the evening the music was sounding great!
A favorite group for me back in the day along with J Geils band before they tried for a comeback.

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #103,582 of 151,635
My first concerts were 100% Canadian. My little village on the east coast hosted the Stampeders ("Sweet City Woman", "Wild Eyes", "Carry Me") at the local hockey rink sometime in the late 70's or early '80's. That's my first live show. At the same venue I remember Vancouver's The Powder Blues Band ("Doin' it Right on the Wrong Side of Town") with an extremely drunk front man, but as soon as he staggered to the stage, he was spot-on with vocals and guitar. Weird, but awesome. My first real show at a big venue was in Halifax, Nova Scotia. My parents drove my brother and I there to see April Wine, must have been 1980 or '81 when they were at their peak with a big hit on both sides of the border ("Just Between You and Me"). Another Canadian band, Harlequin, opened for them.
I saw the Tragically Hip 10 times in BC and Alberta

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #103,584 of 151,635
Hell’s ducks man, no wonder you have issues! When did your friends and family do an intervention? 🤪

As best I recall I snuck into an Iron Butterfly concert, heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and left.🤪 Soon after I saw the James Gang, Joe Walsh. At least it was not pop music.

Oh and I did see Bob Dylan in the late sixties, then a couple times after that. Sonny and Cher did cover one of his songs.

At 18 I was mostly into Jazz and Blues clubs, coffee houses with poetry and folk music.
You know the backstory on In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #103,585 of 151,635
My first concert was on a family vacation in Colorado when I was 9. We went to Red Rocks to see Peter, Paul, and Mary. A week later we saw Diana Ross and the Supremes at the same venue. :smile_cat:

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #103,587 of 151,635

Ok you are forgiven since you were unwilling.🤪🤪

Walsh is talented, he did an acoustic set when I first saw him and you could tell he was bound for greater things.

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #103,588 of 151,635
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #103,590 of 151,635
With all the years of testing amps and stuff....I find that there are differences that you can hear....but there are more similarities in the output of most modern amps.
Talking about headphone amps that is...

For me is all about the circuit design and did the amp meet the design goals. The actual logic and thought that goes into a design has always fascinated me...
Yeah weird, but a looking at a schematic is like reading a great novel! Lol!

It seems I have to strain to really hear differences at times....every once in awhile I find or experience a really good synergy and I get lost in listening...and that for me
is awesome.

I appreciate a well engineered amp and its build and cosmetics at times.

Schiit has often stated , this is the only amp you will ever need (Magni's...the new Magni +).

And from my recent listening, I think its really close to the truth....

:>)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back