Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #103,561 of 149,186
I just listen to the music. If I must strain at a Bit to perhaps "hear" a difference then it isn't a difference worth hearing.

To me.:beerchug:

Looks are more my subjective thing, so long as it does not involve my own.

It is said that a thing of beauty is a joy for ever. But that which does not capture the eye, which is said to be the window to the soul, is but a toy for ever.

I am just trying to audition what may be the last DAC I ever buy. Something that can be upgraded is certainly a plus. 😁

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #103,563 of 149,186
I am just trying to audition what may be the last DAC I ever buy. Something that can be upgraded is certainly a plus. 😁
Envisioning you'll settle on an ALL-tube DAC, not just for the fluffy analog part. Utilizing 65,535 (6SN7) segments. Expect you'll plan upgrade to 262,144 Melz 1578s once your friends in the Mr. Fusion power industry install a pre-production unit in your basement. :smile_phones:

MrFusion1-180x304.jpg

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #103,564 of 149,186
IIRC, there's a limit to the plasticity of the brain for aural processing. If you never hear certain sounds while very young, you'll never hear them period.
Affects language processing to a significant extent.

I've wondered if this phenomenon affects people who grow up only listening to recordings and never/rarely listen to "live performances."
Interesting concept

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #103,565 of 149,186
IIRC, there's a limit to the plasticity of the brain for aural processing. If you never hear certain sounds while very young, you'll never hear them period.
Affects language processing to a significant extent.

I've wondered if this phenomenon affects people who grow up only listening to recordings and never/rarely listen to "live performances."
The first concert I ever went to was Sonny and Cher. So perhaps those that grew up listening only to recordings are the lucky ones. 🤣

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #103,566 of 149,186
You just perfectly described what I deal with. Large crowds are just too much for me. I can’t filter it out. I actually prefer to listen to music with my eyes closed to further reduce distractions.
Same for me with crowds. I was the new president & board chair of a national (Canadian) astronomy organization a few years ago. The evening of the annual general meeting's banquet I was walking toward the dining hall and the cacophony was so loud that before I was conscious of doing it, my feet turned away from the room towards a quiet table in an area outside the main room.

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #103,567 of 149,186
I do not blame you one bit, brother! I can not hear any difference in DACs but I can see one. I go for looks but then I am admittedly shallow. You can hear far better than I, of that I have no doubt. That you have exquisite taste in equipment is verified by the work of your hands.

Your Amps and tiny omni-directional are gorgeous! :beerchug:

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #103,568 of 149,186
The first concert I ever went to was Sonny and Cher. So perhaps those that grew up listening only to recordings are the lucky ones. 🤣
Now there's an interesting side bar for this thread, first live concerts.
The Beach Boys for me.

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #103,571 of 149,186
I do not blame you one bit, brother! I can not hear any difference in DACs but I can see one. I go for looks but then I am admittedly shallow. You can hear far better than I, of that I have no doubt. That you have exquisite taste in equipment is verified by the work of your hands.

Your Amps and tiny omni-directional are gorgeous! :beerchug:

Thanks, one day I should gift you some VU meters in a wooden cabinet maybe with a tube buffer stage. Then even a solid state amp can have tube sound.😜😜

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #103,572 of 149,186
First live concert - Boston. Right after the release of their first album. A small venue and the girl friend and I were right in front of the stage. It was AWESOME!

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #103,573 of 149,186
Hell’s ducks man, no wonder you have issues! When did your friends and family do an intervention? 🤪

As best I recall I snuck into an Iron Butterfly concert, heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and left.🤪 Soon after I saw the James Gang, Joe Walsh. At least it was not pop music.

Oh and I did see Bob Dylan in the late sixties, then a couple times after that. Sonny and Cher did cover one of his songs.

At 18 I was mostly into Jazz and Blues clubs, coffee houses with poetry and folk music.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #103,575 of 149,186
My first concerts were 100% Canadian. My little village on the east coast hosted the Stampeders ("Sweet City Woman", "Wild Eyes", "Carry Me") at the local hockey rink sometime in the late 70's or early '80's. That's my first live show. At the same venue I remember Vancouver's The Powder Blues Band ("Doin' it Right on the Wrong Side of Town") with an extremely drunk front man, but as soon as he staggered to the stage, he was spot-on with vocals and guitar. Weird, but awesome. My first real show at a big venue was in Halifax, Nova Scotia. My parents drove my brother and I there to see April Wine, must have been 1980 or '81 when they were at their peak with a big hit on both sides of the border ("Just Between You and Me"). Another Canadian band, Harlequin, opened for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back