Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #102,871 of 149,297
This is getting a bit confusing, so please forgive me for the interruption…

In Schiit's official naming scheme, OG means the current-gen AD boards. In other words: OG == A2.

I suppose you mean the "original" Yggy?
You are correct. I differentiate the original Yggdrasil (with the Analog Devices chipset) from the A2 (second version with a redesigned analog output stage). I upgraded my original version of Yggdrasil to the A2, and in my listening experience (my room, my system, and so forth) they are two very different DAC's.

And, you are correct. OG refers to the analog devices chipset, even in the new Yggy+. And as Jason noted above, @Baldr prefers the LIM version.

What we do know is that no Yggy sounds like ass.

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #102,873 of 149,297
...but the Yggy has had usb updates which updated the dac.

How many 10-20 year old dacs are still considered amazing?

Many 10-50+ year old amps are still amazing
Hear, hear! I have a Carver TFM35 in my office, driven by my Jotunheim 1, driving a pair of LS50s. It sounds wonderful.
Now, after my success with the stereo RELs downstairs, I think I might add a single REL to this system... after all, I spend most of my day in the office. #unnecessaryjustification

I picked up two TFM35s about ten years ago on eBay, and had them overhauled by Greg at Nelion Audio. They totally belie their age. I know that Bob Carver designed and built some crazy stuff (e.g. the Sunfire amps), but he also built some amazing gear, and the TFM amps still sound great.

The best sound I ever got from the TFM35 was driving it with a Jolida 3000B tube preamp, which I still have... hmmm, maybe it's time to unbox it again?

Choices, choices. It's good to have them!

p.s. - YMMV, but I have an old MSB Link-DAC III "The Full Nelson" edition. I don't have the P1000 power base, just the half-common-brick-sized "floor wart". Haven't listened to it lately, but it still sounded pretty darned good last time I had it out, driving modern electronics. It's not Yggy, though. :)

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #102,874 of 149,297
Hear, hear! I have a Carver TFM35 in my office, driven by my Jotunheim 1, driving a pair of LS50s. It sounds wonderful.
Now, after my success with the stereo RELs downstairs, I think I might add a single REL to this system... after all, I spend most of my day in the office. #unnecessaryjustification

I picked up two TFM35s about ten years ago on eBay, and had them overhauled by Greg at Nelion Audio. They totally belie their age. I know that Bob Carver designed and built some crazy stuff (e.g. the Sunfire amps), but he also built some amazing gear, and the TFM amps still sound great.

The best sound I ever got from the TFM35 was driving it with a Jolida 3000B tube preamp, which I still have... hmmm, maybe it's time to unbox it again?

Choices, choices. It's good to have them!

p.s. - YMMV, but I have an old MSB Link-DAC III "The Full Nelson" edition. I don't have the P1000 power base, just the half-common-brick-sized "floor wart". Haven't listened to it lately, but it still sounded pretty darned good last time I had it out, driving modern electronics. It's not Yggy, though. :)
We sold the True Subwoofer (2,700 watts). My brother always took time to talk to Bob at CES, it was an honour to meet him. We also sold the Sunfire, interesting designs with more power than many other amps at the time, but I have to admit I rather have Schiit now.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #102,875 of 149,297
To get things back on audio;

The 40th anniversary bonus edition has some interesting alternate versions and outtakes. But I'm really getting excited about the rumored Steven Wilson remix!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #102,876 of 149,297
My .02 for soundtracks, both gifts from my sister (thanks Sis!):

Get Shorty - bits of the score by John Lurie, plus a variety of songs by other artists.
Vanilla Sky - no score, just songs used in the movie soundtrack.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #102,877 of 149,297
The analog 2 upgrade to Yggy took the original unit to another level of sonic performance. I have not heard the variants, but A2 well supersedes the OG.
True, but... I generally think of any of the AD5791-based Yggdrasils as an OG, with either the original analog output stage ("A1"), or the second generation analog output stage - A2.

So there's a Yggy OG A1 (the "A1" is silent) with the four AD5791 20-bit D/A converters, and it is upgradable to a Yggy OG A2: same DAC, different analog output stage.
AFAIK, all Yggy OGs after a specific serial number have the A2 analog output stage, including the latest Yggy+ machines... I'm sure that somebody will call me out if I'm incorrect. <g>

And then there is Yggy LIM with four TI DAC8812 16-bit D/A chips, and the Yggy MIL with four TI DAC11001 20-bit converters.

Has anybody heard an OG A2 staged against a MIL? Now that would be an interesting comparo for me, as an owner of an OG A2... I still don't care about measurements; I can't imagine that MIL can possibly sound better than OG A2 (welcome to Don's World of pre-Confirmation Bias).

Happy Sunday!

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #102,878 of 149,297
yggyplus-internal-1920-2.jpeg

That's sooooooo much better!! :nerd::thumbsup:

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #102,880 of 149,297
yggyplus-internal-1920-2.jpeg

That's sooooooo much better!! :nerd::thumbsup:
The new casework simply has to be easier to assemble than the old one:

over-engineered.png

In another week or so, my kitchen is getting torn down to the studs for a much-needed makeover.
Might be a good time to upgrade my Silver OG A2 to a Black Plus, since my main system will be swathed in plastic for the first two weeks of the project... :)

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #102,881 of 149,297
Interesting. I ran the hifi system with my old Onkyo receiver whilst the Vidar was on holiday. Night and day - I was relieved when the Vidar went back to its place.
The OP was asking about Vidar -> Tyr, not receiver to component amp. That's comparing fruit to vegetables, man.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #102,882 of 149,297
Found in the new Yggdrasil+ user's manual:

AES_EBU-Yggy.png

Whole-heartedly agreed. Just got the 2-meter DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU cable (thanks @Les Strat and @the finisher). Replaced the Cardas Blue Clear USB, reset the outputs of the AURALiC and... voila! Hard to explain the difference, but the sound is more vibrant; individual instruments are better delineated and more "airy" (whatever that means).

I need to get my audio sommelier rating bc I'm running out of words. :) My English friends and colleagues are quickly tiring of my constant hyperbole...
#awesome #amazing #sublime

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #102,883 of 149,297
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #102,884 of 149,297
Found in the new Yggdrasil+ user's manual:

Whole-heartedly agreed. Just got the 2-meter DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU cable (thanks @Les Strat and @the finisher). Replaced the Cardas Blue Clear USB, reset the outputs of the AURALiC and... voila! Hard to explain the difference, but the sound is more vibrant; individual instruments are better delineated and more "airy" (whatever that means).

I need to get my audio sommelier rating bc I'm running out of words. :) My English friends and colleagues are quickly tiring of my constant hyperbole...
#awesome #amazing #sublime
In Texas, we are succinct and to the point with our praise of all things Schiit. Suffice it to say that all Schiit sounds 'finer than frog hair'.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #102,885 of 149,297
True, but... I generally think of any of the AD5791-based Yggdrasils as an OG, with either the original analog output stage ("A1"), or the second generation analog output stage - A2.

So there's a Yggy OG A1 (the "A1" is silent) with the four AD5791 20-bit D/A converters, and it is upgradable to a Yggy OG A2: same DAC, different analog output stage.
AFAIK, all Yggy OGs after a specific serial number have the A2 analog output stage, including the latest Yggy+ machines... I'm sure that somebody will call me out if I'm incorrect. <g>

And then there is Yggy LIM with four TI DAC8812 16-bit D/A chips, and the Yggy MIL with four TI DAC11001 20-bit converters.

Has anybody heard an OG A2 staged against a MIL? Now that would be an interesting comparo for me, as an owner of an OG A2... I still don't care about measurements; I can't imagine that MIL can possibly sound better than OG A2 (welcome to Don's World of pre-Confirmation Bias).

Happy Sunday!
So… if I order a current generation Yggy+ OG, how much of that is the same as a Yggy A2 (with a silent OG)? Are they the same machine? I’m trying to get unconfused - and I’m the owner of a LIM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back